Colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrubadub

Reaction score
Hi all

I won’t be attempting this myself, I need to find a hairdresser.

I don’t trust hairdressers and even thinking about going to one makes me anxious.

All I am looking for is a little advice on how to choose one to trust.

I have attached pictures below or what my hair is like now and what I want to achieve colour wise.

My hair is box dyed and there is probably a lot of colour build up. It is very very thick and I have loads of it.

When I go for consultations I will be asking on how they intend to achieve this for me, what sort of answers should I be expecting for a good result?

31f5bac7df8a56960922e7e2995d6c13.jpg

60076f6e2e0d85723a0435180ef7049e.jpg

As it’s box dyed, I’d be looking at doing some strand tests first to determine the condition, porosity etc.
Also, make sure that the hairdresser you use insists on you having a skin test.

To go lighter, the artificial colour needs removing first so I’d probably suggest using a colour reducer. It might need 2-3 attempts if there’s a lot of old colour build up. This isn’t bleach. It removes the artificial colour but doesn’t affect your natural colour. It will look an odd orange colour afterwards due to the effects of the box dyes.

As it’s naturally quite dark, it will still need bleaching and toning. But you can use a lower strength of bleach mix. I’d also probably opt for a balayage technique rather than regular foil highlights. This will give a better blend against your naturally dark roots as the hair grows out.

Don’t be scared of the idea of bleach. It’s the most efficient way to lighten the hair once the old colour is removed and far less damaging than using a highlift tint! However, I definitely wouldn’t suggest having endless sessions of highlights to gradually lighten the hair over several visits. :rolleyes:
It’s an expensive long winded way of achieving your goal and potentially damaging to the hair as you’ll be highlighting over previously lightened hair.

Hope this helps?

As it’s box dyed, I’d be looking at doing some strand tests first to determine the condition, porosity etc.
Also, make sure that the hairdresser you use insists on you having a skin test.

To go lighter, the artificial colour needs removing first so I’d probably suggest using a colour reducer. It might need 2-3 attempts if there’s a lot of old colour build up. This isn’t bleach. It removes the artificial colour but doesn’t affect your natural colour. It will look an odd orange colour afterwards due to the effects of the box dyes.

As it’s naturally quite dark, it will still need bleaching and toning. But you can use a lower strength of bleach mix. I’d also probably opt for a balayage technique rather than regular foil highlights. This will give a better blend against your naturally dark roots as the hair grows out.

Don’t be scared of the idea of bleach. It’s the most efficient way to lighten the hair once the old colour is removed and far less damaging than using a highlift tint! However, I definitely wouldn’t suggest having endless sessions of highlights to gradually lighten the hair over several visits. :rolleyes:
It’s an expensive long winded way of achieving your goal and potentially damaging to the hair as you’ll be highlighting over previously lightened hair.

Hope this helps?

Thank you! I am only asking as last time I wanted something done to my hair they just threw bleach and bleach bath at it and not trying any colour reducers and didn’t strand test first. My hair wasn’t compromised luckily but it was a waste of time and money

Latest posts

Back