Colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittanysaywood

Reaction score
I work from home and I’ve only been doing hair for 3.5 years... my client has part red hair, part bright red roots, black tips and yellow highlights throughout and wants a nice brown with highlights. I will tell you my plan so please if you have anything to add let me know!! I want opinions of other hair stylists because it will be very reassuring.

1. Lighten from zone 2-3 (the roots are very light red) until level 7 is reached.
2. Highlights
3. WHILE HIGHLIGHTS ARE SITTING Use shades EQ level 6 with green (not sure which one yet, maybe moss) on roots
4. At the same time, use whatever colour (or colours) counters the remaining sections of hair in shades EQ as well.
5. Take out foils (most likely after 20 minutes if they’re done and the shades EQ is processed) and rinse whole head.
6. Tone highlights with 09 in whatever colour counters the blonde that comes out. Hopefully they go yellow and I can use 09V or a bit orange and add 09P

I don’t want to use permanent colour because it’s already so processed

I work from home and I’ve only been doing hair for 3.5 years... my client has part red hair, part bright red roots, black tips and yellow highlights throughout and wants a nice brown with highlights. I will tell you my plan so please if you have anything to add let me know!! I want opinions of other hair stylists because it will be very reassuring.

1. Lighten from zone 2-3 (the roots are very light red) until level 7 is reached.
2. Highlights
3. WHILE HIGHLIGHTS ARE SITTING Use shades EQ level 6 with green (not sure which one yet, maybe moss) on roots
4. At the same time, use whatever colour (or colours) counters the remaining sections of hair in shades EQ as well.
5. Take out foils (most likely after 20 minutes if they’re done and the shades EQ is processed) and rinse whole head.
6. Tone highlights with 09 in whatever colour counters the blonde that comes out. Hopefully they go yellow and I can use 09V or a bit orange and add 09P
Sounds like you've got it all under control. The only thing I'd be weary of, is how much those black ends are going to lift. I'd maybe do a colour remover first, this will help shift the black and remove the red at the same time, so you should have less correction work to do when re colouring.

Sounds like you've got it all under control. The only thing I'd be weary of, is how much those black ends are going to lift. I'd maybe do a colour remover first, this will help shift the black and remove the red at the same time, so you should have less correction work to do when re colouring.
Thanks!! :) that’s very helpful. That was my concern too (the black ends lightening) and I wasn’t sure how to make sure they did.

Thanks!! :) that’s very helpful. That was my concern too (the black ends lightening) and I wasn’t sure how to make sure they did.
Yeah a colour remover will help, even if it doesn't look like it's done anything, it's surprising how much better the hair will lift afterwards and of course there's no damage :)

Latest posts

Back