Colour Correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPH6

Reaction score
HI, Looking for confirmation or advise. I have a new client that has a 2inch virgin hair re growth base 6 with 25% grey. Mid lengths and ends have been highlighted with 3 colours, bleach, tint base 9 and tint base 6, but these three colours have faded and merged to make a brassy blonde base 8 or 9 which looks like an all over colour. She says her hair has a tendency to fade. She would like to get rid of the brassy blonde and take it back to nearer her natural colour with bleached babylights to disguise the grey. I use wella. I’m thinking babylights of bleach and 6% (on the roots to begin with, then go back over the mid lengths and ends in each bleach foil once the roots have lifted to the brassy blonde) Interspersed with thickish lowlights of 6/97 and 5/75 ratio. 2;1 with 4%. I would then flood the rest of the hair with colour touch 5/75 and 5/97 ratio 1;1 and 1.9%. Does this make sense or I am making it more complicated than it needs to be.

HI, Looking for confirmation or advise. I have a new client that has a 2inch virgin hair re growth base 6 with 25% grey. Mid lengths and ends have been highlighted with 3 colours, bleach, tint base 9 and tint base 6, but these three colours have faded and merged to make a brassy blonde base 8 or 9 which looks like an all over colour. She says her hair has a tendency to fade. She would like to get rid of the brassy blonde and take it back to nearer her natural colour with bleached babylights to disguise the grey. I use wella. I’m thinking babylights of bleach and 6% (on the roots to begin with, then go back over the mid lengths and ends in each bleach foil once the roots have lifted to the brassy blonde) Interspersed with thickish lowlights of 6/97 and 5/75 ratio. 2;1 with 4%. I would then flood the rest of the hair with colour touch 5/75 and 5/97 ratio 1;1 and 1.9%. Does this make sense or I am making it more complicated than it needs to be.
Why do you need lowlights of 6/97+5/75 if your base colour will be 5/97 + 5/75?

Oops both the lowlights and colour touch were going to be 6/97 + 5/75, that’ll teach me for trying to type to fast 🙄 Because she said her colours tend to fade I was going to add lowlights as they will be a more permenant tint with 4%, where as the colour touch may wash out quite quickly. Ideally she doesnt want a full head colour she would like bleached babylights with some darker lowlights. but I still need to cover the brassy blonde, do you think just bleached babylights and flood the rest with colour touch.

Last edited:
Oops both the lowlights and colour touch were going to be 6/97 + 5/75, that’ll teach me for trying to type to fast 🙄 Because she said her colours tend to fade I was going to add lowlights as they will be a more permenant tint with 4%, where as the colour touch may wash out quite quickly. Ideally she doesnt want a full head colour she would like bleached babylights with some darker lowlights. but I still need to cover the brassy blonde, do you think just bleached babylights and flood the rest with colour touch.
What's the clients natural base colour?

Shes between a 5 and 6 with 25% grey

How about doing your baby lights as suggested. And then use a different shade for lowlights and use a piggy back technique. Then flood with your chosen base colour?
I'm just thinking a darker base, plus extra lowlights will give a much darker result.and it's pointless doing lowlights and base colour of the same formula as it won't really look any different.

Yes you’re right, ok am I right in thinking piggy backing means, the hair I leave out of each weaved section I would then lowlight with a different shade? From our first consultation she wants cool tones nothing on the copper to gold spectrum, but I’m a bit cautious not to put any warmth in because its faded so much and of course there’s the risk of the dreaded khaki if I go to ash, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yes you’re right, ok am I right in thinking piggy backing means, the hair I leave out of each weaved section I would then lowlight with a different shade? From our first consultation she wants cool tones nothing on the copper to gold spectrum, but I’m a bit cautious not to put any warmth in because its faded so much and of course there’s the risk of the dreaded khaki if I go to ash, any suggestions?
How about doing CT 7/89 or / and 7/97 with 1.9% for the piggy backed lowlight. And then use 6/71 CT + 1.9% for the base colour?

Ok that sounds good the difference in shade and tone will break it up and stop it from looking flat. Can I ask why you’re suggesting colour touch for both rather than Koleston Perfect?

Ok that sounds good the difference in shade and tone will break it up and stop it from looking flat. Can I ask why you’re suggesting colour touch for both rather than Koleston Perfect?
Because you're trying to deposit colour and change tone , not lift the hair or cover more than 50% white hair.

Oh ok, I haven’t used colour touch very often as I always think of it as a semi which therefore washes out. So it would be ok to repeat this service until the old brassy highlights have grown out?

Oh ok, I haven’t used colour touch very often as I always think of it as a semi which therefore washes out. So it would be ok to repeat this service until the old brassy highlights have grown out?
Anything over prelightened hair is very rarely permanent. But because of the amonia in the colour it exposed ls the cuticle to further damage with every repeated application. Wheras colour touch , technically a quasi / Demi permanent doesn't.
Although Wella refers to colour touch as a " mildly oxidizing semi permanent" anything oxidative leaves a mark on the hair because it goes beyond the cuticle

Ok thanks so much for the advise, its much appreciated 😊

Latest posts

Back