Colour doesnt seem to hold - help please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
I have my hair coloured profesionally with a permenant dye.
My hair is dark brown, but has lightened over the years. I started with darkening it with a darker shade of brown which has a red in it (so my hairdresser tells me)

My colour is topped up every 6 weeks but by the time I get to the appointment my hair is starting to look lighter and ginger.
My hairdresser has gone to a darker shade with less of a red mix in it, but by the next day it's already looking lighter.
I have my hair coloured because it is really baby fine and this helps it to look thicker.
My hairdresser has said she thinks it's because I have a natural red in my hair.
Is there anything I can do to make the colour last longer, I'm going back after 4 weeks this time.

Also when I leave the hairdressers my hair is really shiny and nice looking, but I cant keep it looking like that is their any shampoos/conditioners you can recommend or other products.

Thanks
Ria

Hi
you could discuss with your hairdresser to lower the strength of the peroxide she uses this should help with the fade and the red your hair produces.
You shouldn't need any more than 6% mixed with tint for the added texture and darkening process ,

Or you could ask your hairdresser about quasi demi permanents, the peroxide strength is lower in a quasi demi anyway so your hair shouldn't lighten with this type of colour ,

eg Wella do a nice quasi demi called Colour touch,
you could have a look at the Colour Touch colour chart .

(If you get your hair tinted mainly for the added volume it produces)

remember the lower the peroxide the less texture and volume .

You could always have your tint as it is now if it is mainly the volume you are liking ,

then go for a quasi demi in between to refresh it ( may be expensive though ) :hug: x good luck

Thank you I will ask hairdresser about this because they do actually use wella products.

In addition to what Minky said, they may have a colored support shampoo that you could use at home, I know L'oreal Professional makes one, Wella surely does too..(most of the Major Manufacturers do) It is a shampoo or conditioner that is colored and mixed for you by your stylist to support the color she uses on you.

I will ask her about the shampoo, thanks geeks.

Hi
This is due to the porosity of your hair. The colour molecules are washing out leaving the red undertones. The regrowth could be coloured as normal and then tone the ends with very weak peroxide in the tint.
I would look at what you wash and condition your hair with as thsi may add to the porosity. Use a dedicated professional range such as Joico colour endure. Tigi Fashionista is also very popular.
Just a thought, do you go swimming a lot as that is the kiss of death for colour!!

Latest posts

Back