Colour help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbie douglas

hairtips
Reaction score
Hello
I am really struggling with a client, i have been doing test pieces and they are all coming out too dark with a green/ ashy tinge.
The client has very long hair, roots are base 8, previously i have highlighted her hair with majimeche, and some majiblond high lift neutral. she has a big regrowth prob 4-5 inches and only has soft highlights before.
the last 6 inches of her hair have lifted last summer and now just look like a 9.03 on a majirel chart.

my aim is to get her to a nice natural 7 base going into an 8 with some warmth. then apply some highlights to the ends.
i have tested dia richesse, 8.31 with little base 9 vol , 7.31 bit of base 9 vol both went too dark and greeny ashy . i have yet to test with 8.3 , 7.30 but would you recomend this and what vol?
im not overly confident to tone blonde back to a nice natural warm base and have spent quite a bit getting colours to do test pieces, any advice would be really grateful.

You need to add the warmth back in.

And why are you using 9vol? You're adding depth?

You need to add the warmth back in.

And why are you using 9vol? You're adding depth?
i used 9 as i have found with some of the richesse colours they go too dark with 6% i tried another test piece with just 8.31 which wasnt as bad i just would appreciate any advice, i don't get many chances at doing colour changes like this as i work for myself so need to build my confidence so any advice would be great i use loreal and schwarkopf so any offers of help much appreciated.

i used 9 as i have found with some of the richesse colours they go too dark with 6% i tried another test piece with just 8.31 which wasnt as bad i just would appreciate any advice, i don't get many chances at doing colour changes like this as i work for myself so need to build my confidence so any advice would be great i use loreal and schwarkopf so any offers of help much appreciated.
do you think i should be using dialight instead of dia richesse?

I would use dia light , try using a colour with no ash , perhaps test a piece with 7.3 6vol

A v small amount of red would neutralize the green tinge and bring in warmth. I use indola so it would be about 1cm of .66 to a 60g tube. With indola the 1 is pearl which would cause the green/ash/cold tinge. Like grace_hair says you need warmth so maybe try base 8 with yellow(8.3 indola). Hope this helps, wasn't going to answer as not super experienced.

To go darker you only need 3%, instead of going for an ashy colour pick something with warmth in (gold/yellow) like the others said and try a test piece :)

Next time, make the mix a bit warmer by mixing 7.31 with 7.3 (ratio 4:1).
I think by adding a neutral base 7.0 to the mix, you effectively diluted the warm gold tone rather than increased it.

Next time, make the mix a bit warmer by mixing 7.31 with 7.3 (ratio 4:1).
I think by adding a neutral base 7.0 to the mix, you effectively diluted the warm gold tone rather than increased it.
Thank you for all the advice, my last test pieces came out much nicer, using 8.34 dialight to pre pig, then 7.23 dia richesse much nicer colour so tomorrow i will hopefully have a happy client!!
thanks for all advice though im learning so much from everyone as working on my own you do miss someone else to banter off !
its a shame i spent all day trying to get loreal tech depart to call me back with no success no professional back up there when you need it!

How did it turn out?
I did the same bummer - the green or khaki tinge comes from yellow undercoat - so like they said you need always to put warmth back in - like a copper or gold and then aim for a violet instead of ash as blue + yellow = green
I actually used Loreal Majirel in 10.21 - I believe there's a 8.21 too..

But for future reference try to check out their new Cool Cover range - there's some gorgeous colors with great depth - I used a 7.0 on my own roots for a light balayage and it looked really good and didn't fade to a warm color over time!
They even have a cool gold! So beautiful!

Eek I would not use the cool cover series on blonde hair , as I will def go a murky colour !

Eek I would not use the cool cover series on blonde hair , as I will def go a murky colour !
They have 9.0/9.1 and 10.0/10.1 as well, so no, it will not go murky!

How did it turn out?
I did the same bummer - the green or khaki tinge comes from yellow undercoat - so like they said you need always to put warmth back in - like a copper or gold and then aim for a violet instead of ash as blue + yellow = green
I actually used Loreal Majirel in 10.21 - I believe there's a 8.21 too..
Hello
i decided to use 8.34 dia light to pre pig and that was good as that then toned down the ends to match the roots. i then washed and then went over with a 7.23 richesse 6 v all over , lovely colour and then finished with some free hand bleach pieces to give it some glints of highlights. the overall look was lovely and the client was happy. the only thing i wished i had done was been brave enough to leave the 7.23 on longer i was a little scared it was going to dark but i think it would have been fine.
thank you for asking

Would never use 9% to tone. Always 6, if it's going to dark use a shade lighter with 6%

Latest posts

Back