colour help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biganails

Reaction score
hi there
dont know if you can help me but i have had my hair done for the last few years by my friend who is a hairdresser , this week i asked her if she could give me an all over chocolate brown , she did warn me that it would look very different , i have looked back at some old pics of myself and my hair seemed to look much healthier when i last had it my natural colour (choc brown) i have been having panels of blonde / copper in it , anyway she showed me a colour sample she was going to use and it was lovely , when i looked in the mirror when she had finished it looks black . my husband picked me up and said , ITS BLACK,my friends son said ITS BLACK , i know it probably isnt as i have rang her this morning and she said it is not black , i will faid out when you wash it a bit, is there anymore i can do to tone the colour down , my friend said to me this morning what do you want me to do know strip it all out , i didnt know what to say , i dont want to ruin my hair though , will someone give me some advise please , i have a wedding to go to next saturday and i feel very low, sorry to go on:sad:

sorry to hear that hun, you poor thing!

did you have light blonde before she put the brown on? if so, she should of chosen a brown that was one or two shades lighter.

Im not to sure about stripping it all out, after that, you would still need a colour put on, stripping is like bleaching and yyour hair will be quite dry, you could try vosene shampoo as that may remove some colour or a lacquer removing shampoo, ask the hairdresser to give you some.
hope you sort it for your wedding babe

thanks hun
shes just popped round with some of the shampoo you mentioned , she also said she might wash it with a bleaching shampoo , or put some warm panels in it , but that would be a lot of work ,

i have now used clarifying shampoo that my friend had bought round this morning and i now have hair that is grenn /copper /red and black , it just gets better , she says she is coming tonight to put a bleaching shampoo on it , i really dont like the sound of that , what about all the colours in it , there not going to disapear now are they , i wish i had not had anything done to it , this morning she said she wont strip the colour out , takes too long and my hair will fall out , i can see me having to grow this out , i am soooooooo angry with her , i feel like i dont want to even look at her never mind let her in and trust her again:sad: she is coming at about 6.30 , i feel sick:cry:i didnt mention she is my so called best friend for 20 years

Is your friend a hairdresser? When you go from dark to blonde or vice versa it is such a big drastic change that it takes a few days to get used to it. I have just gone from very very dark brown to blonde and I am having trouble getting used to it, but I have never once blamed the hairdresser.

If you wanted choc brown, it probably was choc brown but because it was so drastic from blonde/copper you just thought it was darker than it actually was. Also if you had of left it, it would have faded after a few washes.

I hope you get the result you want, but try not to be too hard on your friend!

Jacqui

I know this comes a bit too late but the best thing she could have done was go back in and do some foiling up to 2 levels lighter, This would have given you a "lighter look" all over and not a one all over color.

This you have got to understand is not her fault. It sounds as though she did exactly what you asked for. She was taking the "safe" steps to lightening it up a bit. You are fustrated and scared and feel the need to blame someone and she is the nearest one. It isn't anyones fault. Coloring is really guessing game at the most. We compute what to do formula wise, apply and pray to god it comes out right.
If it is Green as you say which to me is a ash tone, then going back in with a couple levels lighter toner (demi color) will neutralize the ash but will not darken it back up again.
Keep us up to date and best of luck.

I have a teenage daughter and a couple of times a year her friends will call and ask her to ask me what color they can buy and throw on their blonde hair to go dk brown. :smack::rolleyes: They think it should be an easy thing to just throw a color on and have it come out to a natural looking brown...then when they want to go back to the blonde that should be easy too...because the color is semi permanent, right?? But actually both of these scenarios are complicated and require experience and in most cases, more than one salon appointment.

It's a process... the color will almost always fade in the first week and undertones will show. As JD's said...Highlights over the top of a tint back are almost always needed just to have it look natural. If you are quite blonde starting out with a Medium to dark blonde and working into a darker color is almost always a good idea. imo.

A lot of times the biggest mistake Stylist's/Colorists make is...Not being clear in the beginning about what a process this can be. Speaking from experience doing friends is the hardiest thing ever:eek: give your friend a break and a little time it will work out. I agree with JD highlights with maybe a few lowlights...depending on the tone of your hair... are most likely better than stripping. Good luck. Have your friend log on and join the conversation we'll all work through it together. ;)

Hi there

I'm not a hairdresser but I usually have my hair coloured very dark brown with highlights - it's only a semi colour and if yours was it will fade. I had mine done Friday and it's already faded! I do wash my hair everyday have to otherwise it looks awful. Try washing it everyday with a deep cleansing shampoo (and conditioner of course).

Regards
Deb379

Unless you are a heavy product user, Washing your hair everyday is only stripping it of its natural oils leaving the cuticle of the hair to stay wide open which will lead to dryer hair and hair color fadage.

Hi

I've been washing my hair everyday for the last 30 years and I don't have any problems with my hair with regards to it being dry. It's a case of having to unfortunately, not because it's greasy or anything but because it's fine (lots of it) and it just looks a mess each morning, and the only way to sort it is to wash it and style it.

Yes the colour will fade quicker as it's washed everyday the only solution there would be to get a permanent colour.

Regards
Deb379

Hi

I've been washing my hair everyday for the last 30 years and I don't have any problems with my hair with regards to it being dry. It's a case of having to unfortunately, not because it's greasy or anything but because it's fine (lots of it) and it just looks a mess each morning, and the only way to sort it is to wash it and style it.

Yes the colour will fade quicker as it's washed everyday the only solution there would be to get a permanent colour.

Regards
Deb379

Hi Deb, I guess what JD's saying, is that every head of hair is different ...It sounds like bighair had previous highlights and lowlights (Red lowlights)in her hair before she had the tintback. And the reason she was going back to her darker brown in the first place is because she was looking for healthier hair.:)

And as far as the advise of washing it everyday for a solution to her dilemma ...this doesn't sound like a solution in her case ...Many times tinted back hair can fade in un-natural tones, depending on what was applied to begin with and if the hair isn't in great shape to begin with... "Washing your hair everyday is only stripping it of its natural oils leaving the cuticle of the hair to stay wide open which will lead to dryer hair and hair color fadage."

Hi

Oh dear! what a right old mess eh

Firstly dont be so hard on your friend i am sure she feels just awful already, as has already been said colouring is a guessing game a lot of the time, i always hedge my bets though and do a strand test first!

What i would advise if its washing up a strange colour would be a semi permanant medium brown to tone it all the same colour. It wont make your hair any darker just tone the slices that have gone an off tone, and it will help restore some gloss back into your hair.

At this stage i really wouldnt go for a bleach wash!! You will make matters worse.

Hope it comes out ok x

Latest posts

Back