Colour not lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliotf9

Reaction score
I have a lady who comes in every 5 weeks to have her bob tinted all over. She is 100% white underneath. When I first started doing her hair she used to have Goldwell 8N on, but we both agreed that we didn't like the shade of colour on her hair. She wanted to go a little lighter. I started to use 9NN on her with a smudge of 9A and 8B. It covers the midlengths and ends really well. Her roots look faded and at the back it hasn't covered some of her roots properly. I always use the Goldwell Structure Equalizer beforehand on her hair. I have noticed that it has got worse with her hair since she has had her booster and covid jabs. Any ideas? She likes the colour I just need it to cover the roots properly.

I have a lady who comes in every 5 weeks to have her bob tinted all over. She is 100% white underneath. When I first started doing her hair she used to have Goldwell 8N on, but we both agreed that we didn't like the shade of colour on her hair. She wanted to go a little lighter. I started to use 9NN on her with a smudge of 9A and 8B. It covers the midlengths and ends really well. Her roots look faded and at the back it hasn't covered some of her roots properly. I always use the Goldwell Structure Equalizer beforehand on her hair. I have noticed that it has got worse with her hair since she has had her booster and covid jabs. Any ideas? She likes the colour I just need it to cover the roots properly.
Are you using the matching developer? Applying liberally? Taking fine sections? And most importantly are you leaving it the full development time?

Are you using the matching developer? Applying liberally? Taking fine sections? And most importantly are you leaving it the full development time?
Also does the client come in with particularly dirty hair?
Sometimes oily /dirty scalp can create a barrier, especially when it comes to white coverage.
Also the other possibility is that because you're putting the colour all the way through the colour is building up on the ends and that's why the roots look paler possibly?

You can also open cuticles with applying neat peroxide/developer to her hair for 10 min. Before applying colour
  • Pre-softening is done before a color service to ensure complete coverage on resistant gray hair regrowth.
  • Color developer which is made of hydrogen peroxide, is applied to the regrowth area in order to “open” or “lift” the cuticle layer of the hair.
  • A lifted cuticle layer will allow for better color penetration when applying a mixed color formula.

Mine and my mums hair is exactly the same. Doesn’t matter how long I leave it, how clean it is, what shampoo/cond used prior it just doesn’t take.
I opted for using semi-permanent 7.12 schwartzkopf with added 9 around hairline and parting with bleached highlights which works well for me. The steely colour and bleach gives more of a blend than 100% block coverage and lasts longer between colours too.
Pre softening like mentioned above using peroxide is what we used to do but you get a glowing root. The best way is to put on just your colour from the tube then add a layer of your mixed colour on top (col+developer)

Thank you for advice I will have go with some of suggestions tomorrow.

As mentioned above earlier, this client wanted to go up a shade to an 'Goldwell 8NN' which I did it covered well on her white hair. Last time I didn't cover very well at all. I wondered if Wella did any shades similar to photo of her hair below that would lift her resistant white hair?

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_110746.jpg
    IMG_20211216_110746.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 0
As mentioned above earlier, this client wanted to go up a shade to an 'Goldwell 8NN' which I did it covered well on her white hair. Last time I didn't cover very well at all. I wondered if Wella did any shades similar to photo of her hair below that would lift her resistant white hair?
Koleston perfect 88/0

Thanks, I will give that a go.

Thanks, it worked well. However, she has now decided to embrace her natural white hair.

Latest posts

Back