Colour pops/wheels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpapple

Reaction score
Just after a bit of advice please...
Have just got my first lot of gelish colours with more on their way so I would like to start painting onto colour pops/wheels for when I start going to customers.

Would anyone recommend either in particular or are they both just as good?
I will be mobile so can get the ones that stick into a stand but thinking either a wheel or the ones that fan out?
Also seen you can get clear or whitish ones? Which are best?

When you paint them do you do the same as on a natural nail...? buff, ph bond?, foundation, cure, colour 1, cure, colour 2, cure, tio, cure and then remover tacky layer?

Many thanks!

sorry i meant to say...
"I will be mobile so CAN'T get the ones that stick into a stand but thinking either a wheel or the ones that fan out?"

I personally prefer color pops that fan out. The wheels are flimsy and being mobile, I was always knocking them around and the nails were snapping off. I love the fanned ones.

When putting color on, just do color coats and top it off. That's all.

Attachments

• 541204_303036299812011_2087209894_n.jpg
    541204_303036299812011_2087209894_n.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 712
hi, if its just for mobile i would opt for the wheels cause less chance of damaging them... i just use two layers of colour then top coat... i dont want to waste my product and they look great anyway. Theyve been done for a year and still look the same... hth x

Hi,
Can't give you any advise on gelishing them as I don't do gelish.
But when I've done my shellac I found the clear ones are better as they give the 'true' colour.
Also I find the pops are easier to put in the lamp so I would recommend the fan pops.
Hope this helps a little.

Kim x

never thought about putting them into lamp... that would put me off... i actually use the pops but im not mobile and i use them for displays on front counter. Would prob be trial and error... sound of things pops r the way forward :wink2:

I'm mobile and have found clear individual pops the best. You get true colour as someone else mentioned. If you use wheels, if 1 goes wrong or gets damaged then that's the whole wheel wasted if you want to look professional.

I bought a bottle of Eco universal top coat to use for my colour pops as it's much cheaper and doesn't matter on a pop.

I personally prefer color pops that fan out. The wheels are flimsy and being mobile, I was always knocking them around and the nails were snapping off. I love the fanned ones.

When putting color on, just do color coats and top it off. That's all.

Shannon is spot on, the fans are great, not only do they not break as easily as the wheels but as shannon has done you can write the colour on the stick so you know at a glance which colour the client wants x

I used the wheels for ages but they are so weak and the tips break off. I love my fans x

Also, problem with wheels (as I'm learning) is that unless you know exactly which colours should follow one another for a good colour fade, your wheel wont look as good as it should.

I use the fan ones too, I like how you can write the name on the stick & if you ruin one you can just get rid of it without affecting the rest unlike on a wheel. I do colour coats & top coat only x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351543027.922330.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351543027.922330.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 504
Where is best place to get pops x

I get mine also from Ebay.

When I was mobile, I found the wheels flimsy and easily broke in the bag. Also like mentioned, you can't always get a good colour fade if/when you add more colours.

I now use the fans, although I'm not mobile (would do if I was mobile) which means you can move the colours around as you please, plus you can add the names of the colours on them so it's easy to see at a glance - I used a label maker on mine.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 456
When I was mobile I used the individual colour pops and just kept them in a pencil tin :)

Doesn't take up too much space in your bag and clients lived my "little box of wonders"!

xxx

does anyone know if you redo them ever if you and to change one for example? and how as I'm guessing acetone would melt the pop?
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm mobile and in a salon, I use the fans for my Shellac colours and wheels for nail art etc :)

I have the colour pops that come in a fan but I unscrew them so they are individual and then group them together with jump rings. This means I can add/takeaway pops to a group really easily. I've also got large jump rings so that I can put them altogether and hang them from my bag. Works for me! :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351606938.702761.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351606938.702761.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 336
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351606951.780664.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1351606951.780664.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 306
I have the colour pops that come in a fan but I unscrew them so they are individual and then group them together with jump rings. This means I can add/takeaway pops to a group really easily. I've also got large jump rings so that I can put them altogether and hang them from my bag. Works for me! :)

that looks a great idea!:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Brilliant idea. I'm deciding what to do with my colours and my nail art.

So far they are all on there screw bits and I have one for colours and 2 for nail art, but it's a bit annoying dragging them out of the draw. Then I contemplated ribbon for each lot. Now I'm not so sure...

Latest posts

Back