Colour reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tierra2006

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just jumped over from beauty and nails. I’ve been retested for a Schwarzkopf toner and within ten mins it’s blistered my skin and it’s peeled off, I’ve never reacted before however the previous colour I had was scal bleach which was horrendously painful then a Schwarzkopf toner resulting in weeping burnt scalp, so I am now reacting. Are there any natural based toners or will I not be able to have toner of any sort on my hair again...I deffo need it as naturally dark and get quite yellow! Please help I’m 40 next month and dreading my colour choices now 😭 many thanks

Did the bleach cause the weeping scalp or was it just when the toner was applied?

With allergies to hair colour, each subsequent application will increase the severity of the reaction so you need to tread very carefully and absolutely MUST patch test any colour that you intend to try.

You might be ok with a semi permanent colour (colour products that aren’t mixed with developer) but you must always patch test before every application.

Serious reactions can be fatal so you need to be extremely cautious. Realistically, you‘d be safer if you can learn to live with your natural colour.

Hi, I’ve just jumped over from beauty and nails. I’ve been retested for a Schwarzkopf toner and within ten mins it’s blistered my skin and it’s peeled off, I’ve never reacted before however the previous colour I had was scal bleach which was horrendously painful then a Schwarzkopf toner resulting in weeping burnt scalp, so I am now reacting. Are there any natural based toners or will I not be able to have toner of any sort on my hair again...I deffo need it as naturally dark and get quite yellow! Please help I’m 40 next month and dreading my colour choices now 😭 many thanks
If your hairdresser knows their products well, they should be able to find a reasonable alternative. It sounds like sensitivity rather than a reaction. You may find that scalp bleach is no longer an option. If this is the case you may want to revert to highlights. When it comes to toning a true semi permanent may be a better option, as there is no ammonia or peroxide in the formula. If you don't react to that then it's probably safe to say you're not alletgice to ppd, which is what commonly causes allergic reactions to hair colour.

Did the bleach cause the weeping scalp or was it just when the toner was applied?

With allergies to hair colour, each subsequent application will increase the severity of the reaction so you need to tread very carefully and absolutely MUST patch test any colour that you intend to try.

You might be ok with a semi permanent colour (colour products that aren’t mixed with developer) but you must always patch test before every application.

Serious reactions can be fatal so you need to be extremely cautious. Realistically, you‘d be safer if you can learn to live with your natural colour.
I can’t really be sure as both of the treatments burnt horrendously, I won’t ever have scalp bleach again but it’s more the toner I like to have as I have a lot of warmth and it’s the toner I’ve reacted to. Thanks for replying 😊

Latest posts

Back