Colour removal/recolour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gailygail

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advice, one of my clients uses box dyes, base 5 she has used a colour remover today, her hair is now grey roots 90%, base 9 for around 4 inches then base 7/8 she would like to be base 8, any advice appreciated 😀 many thanks.

Hi, I'm looking for advice, one of my clients uses box dyes, base 5 she has used a colour remover today, her hair is now grey roots 90%, base 9 for around 4 inches then base 7/8 she would like to be base 8, any advice appreciated 😀 many thanks.
I'd be looking at doing some foil work here. Clean any warmer areas up with a very mild bleach, and then go in with a stronger bleach mixture on the darker areas. Lift to a clean level 9 at least. Then re colour :)
What brand do you use?

I use xp100.....my client doesn't want to use bleach.....

I’d start by reminding the client that you’re not a magician...! o_O ;)

Do you know what she used as a colour remover?
If she used a colour reducer, it needed to be re-coloured straightaway with a tint 2 levels lighter than the desired outcome. Otherwise, it will start to re-oxidise back to a darker colour by the time you come to do her hair.

Also, might be an idea to do a stretch test because many clients who play around with their hair using box dyes often push their hair beyond its limit and so it might be very fragile? Maybe that’s why she’s wary of bleaching it?

You could suggest doing a slight Ombré and blending to leave the bottom darker?

I use xp100.....my client doesn't want to use bleach.....
I'd remind your client, the reason she came to you asking for help is because you're a knowledgeable professional - she is not clearly.
If she knew how to fix this herself she wouldn't be coming to you. So why let her tell you how to do it?
The fact she put her own colour remover already isn't a good start. Because that's another element that you have to take in to consideration. Then there will still be elements of artificial colour. So realistically the only way to even this out is either to lift out the banding or deepen it all down to the level of the darkest area.

I'd remind your client, the reason she came to you asking for help is because you're a knowledgeable professional - she is not clearly.
If she knew how to fix this herself she wouldn't be coming to you. So why let her tell you how to do it?
The fact she put her own colour remover already isn't a good start. Because that's another element that you have to take in to consideration. Then there will still be elements of artificial colour. So realistically the only way to even this out is either to lift out the banding or deepen it all down to the level of the darkest area.
Yeah thats what I'm worried about.....clients!!👍

You could use a cream bleach and just not tell her what it is? Or like a meches system as it is gentle.
If you really did want to avoid bleach, your next best option would be to try 10/0 + 12%. But it's not guaranteed to work, so I'd do a strand test first.

Latest posts

Back