Colour removers/colour reducers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnc

Reaction score
hello all

I'm embarrased to say I'm coming to the end of NVQ Level 3 Hairdressing and I still cant get my head around colour reducers and colour removers! I know they're the first process of a colour correction but why would you choose one over the other??

Help!

I was waiting for some other hair geek to jump in on this one but since no one did.... :D
It is my understanding that Color removers remove intense hair color from the hair , like when someone has colored their hair black and it is too dark.
Color reducers can be classified as like adding a clear to a demi color to reduce the amount of pigment in the color.
or
Another way of classifying color reducers could be a gentler color removal, like removing just slight unwanted tones like ash tones.

Hope this helped..

Color REMOVERS are a kind of bleach which oxidizes the dye to a colorless state.

Color Reducers REVERSE the chemical reaction that created the color molecule causing it to become small and colorless so it can be washed out of the hair.

Color Removers can also bleach the remaining natural pigment and can leave the protein structure of the hair drier and more porous. Recoloring is nearly always necessary.

Color Reducers can remove the dye WITHOUT changing the natural pigment and in the case of removing a shade darker than the natural color, the natural color can be restored without redying. Also, it is a much gentler process that leaves the hair nearly undamaged.

Ohh my natural hair colour is red and i have a clynol quasi 5.99 init but want it away, does this mean a colour reducer would help this wash out ? (just thought i'd butt in lol) I've not covered this yet in col :( but what would you use to do this ... what is the colour reducer?

Latest posts

Back