colouring blond back to brown?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carend

Reaction score
Hi guys i really need some advice if poss

I love my hair-or at least i loved it when i had it done-and wanted to keep the blond in it forever-but after the worst year in the history of the world there is no way i can afford it anymore-i haven't had it done since december :(
now it looks shocking and i feel like a tramp-i am tempted to have a skin head atm but think that may b a bit extreme:eek:

anyway there is no way i would consider tryin to do the colour(well the blond at least) on my own-but like i said i can't afford it-sooooo that leaves me with the 2 options-dye it back to brown myself with a shop bought colour-or shave it.....

but i realise that blond won't go brown without goin orange 1st or soemthing so i wanted some advice if possible

what colours would you use to get this back to my natural colour?...any advice gratefully received!!!:hug:

Right, I'm not a Hair Geek so this not a professional answer...... But, I have done exactly what you are looking to do myself!

If you know your natural base colour you can get a good idea of which otc colours will work for you (which level brown you are basically, I'm a base 6). L'oreal colours have a number on them which relates to the base colours and if you pick one closest to your natural base you'll be ok. It will cover, but it may fade out of the blond bits more quickly than the natural bits...... If you use semi-permanent you can re-do it when you need to and keep on top if it.

I hope I haven't offended any hair geeks, my advice is from the perspective of a very interested and slightly informed consumer......

hth's

if u cant afford to go to the salon what about making an appointment at your local college, they do a great job and there is always someone to watch over a trainee thats doing your hair, and it wont cost you half as much.or going to your local salon and see if they do training nights?
I wouldnt advise doing it yourself because if you just put on a base colour over your blonde it will fade out and could go like a karki/greeny colour if your not careful .

hmmm thankyou both

have to say i am a bit scared of lettin a student work on my hair.......but i spose like u said they have someone watchin over them all the time?...but my friend that usually does my hair is a really really good stylist and i dunno if any student will b able to do it like she has.....

thanks vetty-so did yours go green when u did it? sounds like it could b a bit of a risky way around it......eek what do i do?!

I'm not a hairdresser....

I have just had my hair changed from bleached blonde to a gorgeous mahogony.
I, like you thought I'd probably do it myself. I knew I had to put a copper/red back into to the stripped bleached hair to stop the brown from going green & headed off to Tescos. I looked and looked thinking...It's got to have a red base in it etc. I was befuddled (even though my Mum was a hairdresser & I was brought up in a salon).

Then, common sense came to me & I booked in at the hairdressers & had the job done professionally & I'm so very pleased with it & everyone says it takes years off me. AND it's in fab condition.

What I'm trying to say is...scrape the money together somehow hun as you could end up with a disaster on your hands and it costing you more money than a trip to the salon in then end.:hug:

hmmm thankyou both

have to say i am a bit scared of lettin a student work on my hair.......but i spose like u said they have someone watchin over them all the time?...but my friend that usually does my hair is a really really good stylist and i dunno if any student will b able to do it like she has.....

thanks vetty-so did yours go green when u did it? sounds like it could b a bit of a risky way around it......eek what do i do?!

Luckily I've always had decent results.....

I would investigate the college route - I was always wary but I've got a client who works at our college (in an admin job) and she has all sorts done there including her hair and she always looks good. The last time they coloured her hair she had 3 colours of highlights and paid about £20 I think......!!!

thankyou everyone for all your responses i really appreciate u all takin the time and effort
i will let u know what i do and the end result :)

hmmm thankyou both

this is exactly what students at college are good at....level 2's and level 3's...what happens is you have your consultation with a student....the tutor double checks with you and the student...and the student will be asked by the tutor..whats and why ets...before any colours are mixed....students arent alowed to go get any colour they have to take a form signed by the tutor or they wont be allowed the colours from the person in dispencary....if the student i s unsure of the cut after the tutor will allways step in......you can get a colour cut and blow dry for usually a tenner.....give them a ring.

HI

I really do have to say, if you cant afford to go to a salon then go to your local college. Levle 2 can only apply apply basic colour/ high lights, they are not able to take part in color correction until they are on level 3.
When on level 3, before they start any work on you, they have to check with there lecturer. Level 3 have a min of 2 years, you really do get a very good service for a very low charge.
Segdecl

this is exactly what students at college are good at....level 2's and level 3's...what happens is you have your consultation with a student....the tutor double checks with you and the student...and the student will be asked by the tutor..whats and why ets...before any colours are mixed....students arent alowed to go get any colour they have to take a form signed by the tutor or they wont be allowed the colours from the person in dispencary....if the student i s unsure of the cut after the tutor will allways step in......you can get a colour cut and blow dry for usually a tenner.....give them a ring.

Then, common sense came to me & I booked in at the hairdressers & had the job done professionally & I'm so very pleased with it & everyone says it takes years off me. AND it's in fab condition.

What I'm trying to say is...scrape the money together somehow hun as you could end up with a disaster on your hands and it costing you more money than a trip to the salon in then end.

if u cant afford to go to the salon what about making an appointment at your local college, they do a great job and there is always someone to watch over a trainee thats doing your hair, and it wont cost you half as much.or going to your local salon and see if they do training nights?
I wouldnt advise doing it yourself because if you just put on a base colour over your blonde it will fade out and could go like a karki/greeny colour if your not careful . Yesterday 08:15 AM

Hi I think I would much rather have a student do it as she / he will have far more colur knowledge than yourself ,
plus they will have excellent tutor guidance too,

I think the above answers were excellent advise ,

Its just like someone untrained asking on the nail thread about doing their own nails , would you should you give out advice?
or would you tell them to go to a professional nail salon ?

anyways good luck with your hair I hope you use a professional college
as it is a colour correction and you could get grab on the ends and turn your hair way too dark :hug: xx minky

Latest posts

Back