Colouring Children's hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsel

Reaction score
Does anyone have a policy for colouring childrens hair, as in age etc.Do you set an age limit say for argument sake 13 is the youngest you would colour someones hair, or would it depend on the individuals needs ?

The BIG thing in our area for back to school this year was 5-10 highlight foils in the top of the girls hair- predominately 10-12 year old girls, instead of having a perm. I'm not entirely comfortable doing more than just a few foils, but that's personal opinion, I'm getting old and I think kids are growing up way toooooo fast!

thanks jeni:hug:

As a mother of a daughter almost 13 and in her 2nd year at secondary shool, I was always against her having highlights or hair colour in general, BUT the pressure she put me under to have them done !!!

Virtually all of her friends have their hair done. They all have ghd's and all the hair products under the sun.

So, I gave in, bought a highlight kit from the supermarket and did them myself - they looked terrible at first, but have faded & blended a bit now, so they look OK

I won't be doing it myself again though. I'd rather leave it to the pro's !
Certainly every salon around here would do it on a child her age.

Once they start secondary school, it's a whole new ball game and unless you have them at that age, you won't understand what I mean.

Strangely, I definitely won't let her have nails. She can have them polished, but no tips or anything.

Gina xx

Hi

My daughter is 11 going on 18, however her natural colour is a wish washy blonde, hormones have kicked In so very lank and greesy, I added a few fine slices to top sections and It looks fab, looks very natural and has taken away the oils In her hair.
I would not rule out doing children, though I would decided on the individule

TT:confused:

Our salon is aged 11+ but not sure why, think as long as the parents are happy on the upkeep etc and you've cleared the consultation with them as long as it is natural looking rather than too outrageous there's not a prob! x

Hi , once they're around 12/14 years , I think any off the scalp colouring is ok

and a few hair extensions for the summer holidays are a good idea too :hug:

Hi , once they're around 12/14 years , I think any off the scalp colouring is ok

and a few hair extensions for the summer holidays are a good idea too :hug:

clip in extensions are great when doing a formal style for dance or party- especially for a little color or added length.

my youngest daughter is 10 and she has had her hair highlighted twice but she only has a few through the top and they use a vegetable dye. i think it's up to the parent really. if they are very young i would disagree. it's like when you see babies with pierced ears. that is just, in my opinion ,disgusting. they have obviously had it done cos the parent wants it done and they had no choice in the matter. my daughter asked if she could have her hair done and i agreed cos it was a vegetable dye but i wouldn't let either of my kids have bleach on their hair. my eldest daughters school wont let any kids have their hair coloured. she doesn't want her hair coloured but she asks why the teachers are allowed to have theirs done and the kids aren't!! what do you say??!!!

Hi I'm new to the site. Hello everyone.
We were told at college not to colour childrens hair until in their teens as the medulla won't have properly formed, although some people don't have them at all. Not sure why it's important?:confused:

Hi I'm new to the site. Hello everyone.
We were told at college not to colour childrens hair until in their teens as the medulla won't have properly formed, although some people don't have them at all. Not sure why it's important?:confused:

That's bizarre, as I always thought that the medulla was the brain stem, you would probably be dead if you didn't have one! :eek:

Ruth

Hair is composed of three principal layers, each with its specific purpose. If you were to examine a cross section of a hair shaft under a microscope, you would see the innermost or center portion of the hair shaft, the medulla. The medulla is also called the pith or marrow of the hair. It is composed of round cells, two to five rows across. Thick or coarse hair usually contains a medulla. Fine hair for the most part lacks a medulla, as does naturally blonde hair. The purpose of the medulla has not yet been determined.

That's bizarre, as I always thought that the medulla was the brain stem, you would probably be dead if you didn't have one! :eek:

Ruth

It is but in the confusion that is anatomy we have one in our hair shaft too.

As a mum of a teenage daughter my strategy has always been compromise.
My daughter first had highlights at 13, they were just t zone now shes 16 she has half head.I think she wants to be platinum blonde but i tell her she'll go bald:)

Oops, silly me! *blushes*

Still, learned something new today :)

hi evertbody personally i :( wouldent do it due to the strurcture of the hair :):)
it would depend on if the parent came in with them i would explain the cons and ask for the schools policy before even consider it if pushed with consent with parent in writing for records 15 years old minimum

Last edited:
I have a 14 yr old and i know all the hair people are going to frown but i have let her dye her hair for about 2 yrs now of course we have our wonderful Hair tech Tracey do it professionaly she tells us what we can and can not do. As I only have my degree in Nails i leave it up to the professional

well there is a lady (28) who lives not far from me who is a hairdresser, i dont know her personally, but she has a beautiful little 3yr old girl..... WHOS HAIR SHE HAS PUT HIGHLITES IN!!!! ahhhh it breaks my heart evry time i see it, talk about kiddies growing up 2 quick.. i guess in this case its mummy wanting a barbie 2 dress up maby? :sad: either way i think its vile... 10, 11, 12 + i think is fine so long as its nice, subtle and natural xx

Latest posts

Back