Colouring hair as a mobile hairdresser in the new normal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJHosie

Reaction score
H.I All,
Please try to bear with me on this. Ive had to go Mobile in the new normal and its great to be working on hair again. Now i'm stuck with something and its probably me being daft but here we go.
After cutting a new clients hair today I was asked by her child (over 18) she could go about getting her Brown hair lightened. Virgin Hair never coloured. She said she was just wanting some lighter colour but not all the way to Blonde.. I suggested the best way to start would be some highlights in her hair but advised the to lighten we would be looking at bleaching with a toner at the end. I explained we could go for a TBar with foils containing Bleach and then we would tone to desired colour.
In salon she'd come in and we could bleach, see results and act with toners or silver shampoos of whatever we have in arsenal to get lighter brown and find whatever to neutralise unwanted colours.
Now i dont yet have a full selection of colour so any suggestion how you would deal with this case. If someone came to you and said they wanted some lighter brown highlights through their existing brown, how would you do it?

H.I All,
Please try to bear with me on this. Ive had to go Mobile in the new normal and its great to be working on hair again. Now i'm stuck with something and its probably me being daft but here we go.
After cutting a new clients hair today I was asked by her child (over 18) she could go about getting her Brown hair lightened. Virgin Hair never coloured. She said she was just wanting some lighter colour but not all the way to Blonde.. I suggested the best way to start would be some highlights in her hair but advised the to lighten we would be looking at bleaching with a toner at the end. I explained we could go for a TBar with foils containing Bleach and then we would tone to desired colour.
In salon she'd come in and we could bleach, see results and act with toners or silver shampoos of whatever we have in arsenal to get lighter brown and find whatever to neutralise unwanted colours.
Now i dont yet have a full selection of colour so any suggestion how you would deal with this case. If someone came to you and said they wanted some lighter brown highlights through their existing brown, how would you do it?
What's her natural base level? Some brands do Highlift brown tints, this might be an option.

hi, shes about a base 4 - medium brown.
Just to get my head straight would you agree that where someone wants any kind of lighter hair this must require some type of bleaching.
in simple terms id normally take a bit of her hair for testing and id apply bleach and 30 vol in a small foil and id leave for a max of 45 mins to see what result is. The result would show the ultimate base level. I then go into my Colour Guides - using WElla as example. I would look at the browns. now we look at charts and she says she only wants slight shade lift . We get to a base of between 6 and 7 and look at the charts. Wella 7.3 medium golden brown is nice. So i buy a tube of that and go another of 7.86 to neutralise any undertones of orange/yellow.
Is this about right. Then put in foils of 7.3 and ones of 7.86 interspersed.

You’re over thinking it.
Just use your normal tint with the correct vol developer. Although I wouldn’t choose a gold toned tint as it will lift to orange/yellow at level 7 so a more neutral tone might be better.

When you’re using tint to lift, you don’t tone it afterwards. As ronray says, maybe look at brands that do highlift tints for brown hair?

Latest posts

Back