Colouring natural white hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikkiLV

Reaction score
Having problems covering white hair grey only dark grey tones give cover but washes out in a couple of weeks mixing with 20vol but not happy with the coverage any ideas what I can use on 100%white hair don’t want to keep using a slate grey ??

Does it cover the roots well normally or is it resistant?
Is it mostly the mids/ends where it’s fading fastest?
Normally, you’d use 20vol on the roots and refresh the existing colour with a demi or semi. If you’re using a permanent on the mids and ends, it will just open the cuticle scales too much causing the colour to wash out.

The hair is very short round sides and back normal colour works fine when used brown/reds/blondes Will attach a photo longer hair on top is ok on the ends client getting very white at roots so that’s the problem have used 20vol was thinking of putting 20 vol liquid on first then applying grey tone do u think this would help ? Thanks for getting back to me .

Not letting me load a picture

Sorry, but I’m still not sure I understand exactly what’s going wrong.
What colour mix are you using and are you using the matching developer or a generic brand of peroxide? That might help to narrow down the issue.
Have you tried using a formula designed to cover white hair?

The picture needs to be less than 1Mb so you might need to use an image re-sizer and save it as a JPEG.

I am using Schwarzkopf igora royal dove grey with the same developer 6% and it won’t grip to natural white hair so had to use the same brand with slate grey this is working but only lasting up to 7 washes and too dark client want a lighter grey that takes to white hair and lasts longer than 7 washes

I am using Schwarzkopf igora royal dove grey with the same developer 6% and it won’t grip to natural white hair so had to use the same brand with slate grey this is working but only lasting up to 7 washes and too dark client want a lighter grey that takes to white hair and lasts longer than 7 washes
Dove Grey is more of a toner and is meant to be used with 3% only or mixed with 3% + conditioner for a more diluted tone. Think grey enhancement rather than white coverage. 6% will not really work. Do you want to have 100% coverage and a definite root or a softer grow out? And what depth and tone do you want?

That's a toner, it's not going to give much white coverage at all, you can use toners on white hair to create grey, but you have to explain to the client that their hair is still white under that it just enhances tone , it's great because they don't get a solid root growth mark either, because the toner fades off before the hair grows to such a length where it will create that white root look.
Also take a look at wella Illumina grey blending, gives lovely results on white hair.

Latest posts

Back