Colouring over highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amonavis33

Reaction score
A client has decided she doesn’t want her level 8 highlights anymore for her next appointment. She wants them blended in. The weren’t subtle enough for her. She has short hair. natural color is 6 with 30% gray.

I want to stick with color touch. She wants to be a level 6.5 all over, not warm, more ashy. Can I just use color touch 1 part 6/7 and 1 part 7/89? Or do I have to go down to level 6? Just don’t want to make it too dark because she doesn’t like that either.

Will the level 8 highlights turn Khaki from the ash in the formula? I don’t have to pre pig these highlights if I’m only going up a level do I?

Trying to keep things as simple as possible for her short hair.

Thanks for any advice. I mostly just want to ensure the result isn’t muddy or khaki.

A client has decided she doesn’t want her level 8 highlights anymore for her next appointment. She wants them blended in. The weren’t subtle enough for her. She has short hair. natural color is 6 with 30% gray.

I want to stick with color touch. She wants to be a level 6.5 all over, not warm, more ashy. Can I just use color touch 1 part 6/7 and 1 part 7/89? Or do I have to go down to level 6? Just don’t want to make it too dark because she doesn’t like that either.

Will the level 8 highlights turn Khaki from the ash in the formula? I don’t have to pre pig these highlights if I’m only going up a level do I?

Trying to keep things as simple as possible for her short hair.

Thanks for any advice. I mostly just want to ensure the result isn’t muddy or khaki.
You could do 6/71 + 7/89 if you wanted it to be really cool. Or you can mix 6/71 +8/71
Or even just a straight up 7/0 with a bit of 6/0

You could do 6/71 + 7/89 if you wanted it to be really cool. Or you can mix 6/71 +8/71
Or even just a straight up 7/0 with a bit of 6/0

Thanks!

Just for my own personal knowledge, why isn’t it necessary to pre pig? Is it because the warmth in the /71 or /0 is enough to color over subtle highlights, kind of as if they were whites? I assume if I did just 100% ash like 7/89 they would turn out not very nice right?

Second question: what turns out warmer, the 6/71 +8/71 option or the 7/0 + 6/0 option? Thanks

Thanks!

Just for my own personal knowledge, why isn’t it necessary to pre pig? Is it because the warmth in the /71 or /0 is enough to color over subtle highlights, kind of as if they were whites? I assume if I did just 100% ash like 7/89 they would turn out not very nice right?

Second question: what turns out warmer, the 6/71 +8/71 option or the 7/0 + 6/0 option? Thanks
If you're looking for complete saturation to cover the highlights completely then I'd pre pig or if they were a level 10.
But as they're a level 8 and you only want to drop 1-2 levels there's no need.

As for the formulas..... Essentially they're both neutral, but they are differnet types of neutral... If you'd have asked me which do I think is a nicer colour I'd opt for the 6/71 + 8/71 myself.
But that's just a personal choice.

Hi guys,

I’m having a trouble with my confidence!
I did a colour base 9 with some highlights through! She went on holiday and she came back it was so bright!

I put the 9 with a tiny bit of 9.3 on the roots with a few highlights and I pulledthe 9 through is some places, I’m convinced it was ever so slightly I mean ever so slightly khaki, my husband said he couldn’t see any green at all could this happen?

Hi guys,

I’m having a trouble with my confidence!
I did a colour base 9 with some highlights through! She went on holiday and she came back it was so bright!

I put the 9 with a tiny bit of 9.3 on the roots with a few highlights and I pulledthe 9 through is some places, I’m convinced it was ever so slightly I mean ever so slightly khaki, my husband said he couldn’t see any green at all could this happen?
This can happen sometimes when using natural and gold, or even beige shades. But generally after a wash or two it can't be seen.
Even if it was slightly khaki I don't think it'd be an issue after the client has washed their hair.

Latest posts

Back