Colouring while Pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcorn1

Reaction score
I've just read on another thread about colouring while pregnant and the chemicals going thro to the baby and its got me thinking.

I know you have to be cautious when using chemicals on pregnant ladies but I thought that was because the different levels of hormones in your body can react badly and cause perms to not take or colours to go a funny colour. I didn't know it could seep thro your scalp and travel to the baby.:eek: How on earth does this happen?

Is this correct?

I'm panicing cos I'm colouring my friends hair on tuesday and she is 12 weeks pregnant. She has full head tint. I don't think it will go an odd colour but I don't wanna harm the baby.

Also has anyone ever had a pregnant client whos hair has gone wrong? I know I haven't but wondered if you guys had?

Some one help:!:

I've had many Clients choose not to have on the scalp Chemicals during Pregnancy, either because they read something or their Doctors told them not to. But then many have gone ahead and had their color or perm.

If any of my clients have any doubt or even ask me what I think I ask them to check with their Doctor first. And many times the Doctor will say don't...most likely because they don't know and want to stay on the safe side.

I've not had a pregnant clients perm not take or react to any chemicals. But I do remember years ago when I did 15 perms a week telling pregnant clients that the hormones could play havoc with perms taking, most likely because everyone was saying it.:green:

Well my friend is actually a midwife herself and I think if I ask her what she wants to do she'll say its *~#^ and go ahead so I think i'll do it.

I'm sure if the chemicals could seep thro and damage the baby she would know about it so I'll see what she says.

I had my doctor tell me that if the chemicals effected the baby. There would be alot more birth defects runnning around.

Now back when they did color with lead pigment in it..yes I would have been very cautious of doing on the scalp coloring. Foiling if off the scalp.

But like Sophiea stated. If they have any doubts as doctors do..don't do it.
There isn't any concrete scientific findings.

From a consumers point of view, as I'm not a hair professional.
I have been dying my hair since I was 16 and I have had 3 perfectly happy and healthy babies.

Hi there sweetcorn ,
The only reason I mentioned it is that a few years ago a client came in and told me her doctor didn't recommend coloring on the scalp whilst pregnant as some may be absorbed via the bloodstream.

I assume Doctors don't really know if there is any danger to the baby but I reckon they just err on the side of caution.

Maybe it has got more to do with allergic reactions or perhaps home coloring
:confused:
I myself have colored my hair whist pregnant, but like yourself did not know about this.:confused: Perhaps if any one out there who is pregnant can ask their doctors it would be interesting to know why ?:hug::)

Well I coloured my friends hair and it was fine. Didn't go green or drop out!!!

She said it tingled slightly but that its done that before when she has been on her period so nothing out of the ordinary for her.

I have been doing it for 25 + years and nothing has ever happened to any of the preggy ladies yet.
I think the worse thing that ever happened was that the odors bothers them a bit. LOL

i think their are far more pollutions and chemicals in the air and in processed foods that hair colours are the least of out worries unless the client has had any reactions to colours before and then a patch test could be given and to be homest colours are far safer now then even a few years ago and we never heard of any defects then

hi as long as you have a skin test 48hours before haveing the colour done you will be fine dee

Latest posts

Back