Combination hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florriedee

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if there was such thing as 'combination hair'? I have very greasy roots but dry ends (although the dry could just be in comparison to the greasy!) I don't use heat on my hair (maybe once every couple of months!) and I have recently had most of the length cut off cos I was bored of it and it was looking really rather sorry for itself! I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner, really whichever hair type one comes to hand but generally one for fine flyaway hair cos it does that too sometimes although not so much the last few years! Can anyone give me some advice as to which products I should use to a. stop the greasiness (should I was it every other day instead of everyday?) and b. moisten the dry ends (could those be caused by over washing?) I also find if I don't wash my hair every day my scalp gets itchy - what do you think causes that? over washing again? Am I overwashing it? I have a feeling that I may be but there seems to be 2 schools of thought, some ppl say its fine, others say wash once a week!!! I couldn't do that!

Last edited:
id definately say its because of the pantene shampoo you use,
as it contains silicone which coats the hair and eventually causes greasiness etc etc ,
try a clarifying shampoo and see if that makes a difference after a couple of washes, as i think you have build up on your hair

Hi yes totally agree, you need to get rid of the pantene shampoo build up first ,
it takes eight shampoos to get rid of that waxy pantene residue that is left behind causing all the problems that you mention above ,
pantene is a hairdressers nightmare it stops colour from penetrating and causes lank greasy roots with dulled dry ends if used continually :hug: x

here is a link that may help you to clarify your hair
but in the UK we use bicarbonative soda not baking powder lol x
http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/52333-help-hair-overload.html?highlight=baking+soda

id definately say its because of the pantene shampoo you use,
as it contains silicone which coats the hair and eventually causes greasiness etc etc ,
try a clarifying shampoo and see if that makes a difference after a couple of washes, as i think you have build up on your hair

You are always pulling me out of scrapes Nikki! I should just check with you b4 I post Lol!:eek:

Thanks for clarifying the baking powder/bicarbonate of soda thing Minky! I thought they were different but maybe not! I'll check the kitchen cupboards now!

Do I just smear it on my head then? And what should I use Shampoo and Condtioner wise then? My hair gets very fluffy if I don't condition it and I find that all other conditioners just slide off b4 they do anything! Any thoughts? Lx

mix it in with shampoo (preferably a proffessional clarifying type) work it through damp hair, allow to sit on 10 min or so and repeat if needed. Can be used mutliple 4 or 5 times consecutively to remove build up.

Beat a path to the salon door and get a good shampoo!! I'm not as familiar with lines in the UK but I know there are some awesome volumizing shampoos and conditioners available. Tigi makes Catwalk, great stuff. L'Oreal Series Expire has a volume line, Keratase and Pureology also have great lines. Get a reccommendation from your stylist, just don't mention the Pantene word, they may be liable to expire on the spot!! (Pantene is the nearest thing to swearing for a stylist)

Whilst I've not used Pantene for years since I got properly told off by a stylist I do have greasy roots and fluffy ends. I use Wella SP regulating shampoo and it's made a noticeable difference. I ran out recently and used some Charles Worthington stuff I had knocking about in the bathroom and my hair suffered terribly; greasy mess by 11am and flyaway ends. Shan't make that mistake again!

Latest posts

Back