Combining Microdermabrasion AND Glycolic Peels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki-Marie

Reaction score
I have recently completed my Crystal Clear Microdermabrasion training. Im also already offering MD Formulations Peels.

When I trained with MD it was said that you could combine glycolic and MDA by alternating the treatments. Then ... the Crystal Clear trainer said this was a big no, its either one or the other. Using glycolic homecare after MDA isnt advised and would cause irritation if used immediately, I can understand that. But with glycolic having long term anti ageing benefits surely if left for a period of time say one or two weeks the two treatments could be combined. Say for example MDA then Glycolic peel in each month so leaving two weeks between the two.

Im waiting to hear back from my MD Formulations rep to get a little more advice from her, but in the meantime wondered what your thoughts on this were? and if anyone is offering both treatments ... what do you do?

xxx

I don't do microdermabrasion but I do do glycolic peels. I am unsure as to why you would want to combine the two. I would have thought a course of microdermabrasion would be beneficial prior to a course of glycolics (with the correct time left between) but I would have thought a combination of the two would damage the skin as the glycolic can leave the skin temporarily vunerable to damage. With both techniques the skin is thinned, however glycolic replenishes moisture as well as resurfacing and encouraging cell renewal, so may repair any trauma caused by microdermabrasion. :hug:

GULP!!! This goes to show the lack of knowledge crystal clear have about the function of Microdermabrasion. And if you have a crystal clear machine you will definatly need something else to work alongside side it as their machines are not designed to use high suction and high volume crystal flow.

Now here is why Crystal clear say NO. The crystal clear machines have a high tendancy of blocking from moisture getting into the machine. Using products other than theirs and if the machine clogs they will spill the speil about your warranty going out the window.

You need to do your microdermabrasion treatment first. The reason being is you can control how deep you peel with the machine, where as you cannot control Glycolic Acid.

Its up to you how often you go over the skin. I pass over the skin three times, but I believe with Crystal clear its only once.

Make sure your skin is dry prior to the treatment and oil free. The crystals work best the dryer the skin, as they bounce back off the skin more easily.

Now like anything you need to get your clients resistance built up or at the very least test the waters that they won't react.

After the MicroD treatment then apply your glycolics only if there is no obvious reason to not do this. If your clients been having Glycolic facials for a while and is on the highest level then you need to knock her back down to about 5-10 minutes before neautralising. Keep watching the skin as you would normally.

Your client may feel it hurts a bit more than usual but thats only because the glycolic acids working deeper than it would normally. The reason for the MicroD before a skin peel is to remove the existing dead cells and bring the nutrients to the surface of the skin. Now the theory I heard is that by doing this the glycolic is drawn deeper down. I doubt that but then theres also people who say glycolic acid only removes dead or cells that are in semi desquamation. But then Glycolic molecules are smaller than water so they can penetrate the skin!

You will always get mixed stories about this. The two treatments combined though will give results in a faster time frame.

Your client really needs to stay out the sun or away form any sun treatments fake or UV for a fortnight and MUST wear an SPF of 15 everyday.

To do this the other way round would be too uncomfortable, unless you do a light peel first, then a pass of the microD machine then another peel.

Kate

I cannot see why you would want to combine both techniques either. I use a glycolic range and MDB is a contra-indication - the peels and homecare would be enough. I also agree with Weezie in that you get the rejuvenation benefits as well when using peels.

I also do not know why you cannot control control glycolic peels (as mentioned above) as they are time dependant and if you know their strength and clients skin type/history you should be able to judge them accurately.

I know that MDB in the right hands can be a valuable tool although personally I am not attracted to it - but I would have to be very sure of my experience in combining both. There can be damage in trying to peel the skin too quickly in whatever method is chosen.:)

I cannot see why you would want to combine both techniques either. I use a glycolic range and MDB is a contra-indication - the peels and homecare would be enough. I also agree with Weezie in that you get the rejuvenation benefits as well when using peels.

I also do not know why you cannot control control glycolic peels (as mentioned above) as they are time dependant and if you know their strength and clients skin type/history you should be able to judge them accurately.

I know that MDB in the right hands can be a valuable tool although personally I am not attracted to it - but I would have to be very sure of my experience in combining both. There can be damage in trying to peel the skin too quickly in whatever method is chosen.:)

Glycolic acids even in experienced hands can penetrate deeper, quicker or faster than we anticipate. Once on the skin the acid is reliant on various things such as how strong the skin cells are held together. Whilst I have never seen damage off either treatments Microdermabrasion is a lot easier to control the depth of the peel, where with Glycolic acid is reliant on more factors than just the technician.

I have seen girls who havent had the neutraliser correctly applied so the acid has dehydrated their skin and caused heavy peeling in one area, whilst that isnt a problem as such it can look a bit gross for a few days as the skin peels off!.

The idea of combining both is to get the deepest peel possible. Some clients hit their plateau with glycolic peels. Introducing Microdermabrasion to the treatment can then take the peeling further.

Cosmetic surgeons use Microdermabrasion machines far powerful than what we do and acid peels far higher. No client is ever going to get the same result from a salon in the same time as with one treatment from a surgeon. The strongest peel I have used on a client is 65%. That was on stretchmarks and the results are brilliant. I combined it with microdermabrasion to plump up the marks and bring blood flow back to the area to promote healing from within. The glycolic acids then help to repais the surface of the skin, whilst hydrating from within.

Kate

Where I worked before you could do a MDA first then glycolic, also we combined so one time MDA next week the Glycolic peel, mostly depends on the skintype working on. Nurses were able to use MDA before doing TCA peel!

I did work at a cosmetic clinic which was under Healthcare commision so would not do it if was not able to

At the end though maybe it is best that any treatment should be followed under the guidelines of the product and what was said in training?

Just my tuppence worth so not sure if any good :)

I have never experienced problems using glycolic peels. I have also had peels and dermabrasion performed on myself from a cosmetic sugeon - so I appreciate the difference! If the neutraliser is not applied correctly then it is the fault of the technician not the peel. However I do know that some acids are not buffered properly and therefore may be unstable - so a good brand is essential and may result in the instability that you mention.

I can see however the value of combining both treatments on stretchmarks and using the correct strength for the requirements of the client especially for bodywork. I am no authority on MDB as I do not use it but I have been very interested in hydradermabrasion which I feel could be a kinder alternative for facial work.

I have never experienced problems using glycolic peels. I have also had peels and dermabrasion performed on myself from a cosmetic sugeon - so I appreciate the difference! If the neutraliser is not applied correctly then it is the fault of the technician not the peel. However I do know that some acids are not buffered properly and therefore may be unstable - so a good brand is essential and may result in the instability that you mention.

I can see however the value of combining both treatments on stretchmarks and using the correct strength for the requirements of the client especially for bodywork. I am no authority on MDB as I do not use it but I have been very interested in hydradermabrasion which I feel could be a kinder alternative for facial work.

Not made my mind up yet on the hydradermabrasion. I don't see how it would would work in the same way. I agree glycolics can do the job alone but always handy to have both, mostly to butcher myself lol!

Hope you dont think I was calling your abilities. Its just from various trainers etc I spoke to with regards to glycolic acid and also from some clients who have had peels at other salons. Glycolics a pretty safe acid, unless you put it in the hands of an idiot! I was just saying that glycolic is in the hands of the technician. It dosnt just 'stop working'. A lot of it like most treatments is down to the therapist. Thats why therapists are not allowed near the real powerful stuff incase we disintegrate the entire human race lol! More a case of a few feebles who don't even get the basics after years of being in the industry.

As the hydradermabrasion, I stuck my hand underneath one of those karcher power jet thingymejigs to see how powerful it was and nearly skinned myself :eek: yes equipment in the hands of an idiot can prove dangerous lol! It hurt a lot though, wonder it thats similar to hydradermabrasion?? PS really dont reccomend the power jet thing! It Bloody hurt! Kate x

Latest posts

Back