Commission split - What would be acceptable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junejuno

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone suggest what an appropriate commission split might be for a nail tech working in my salon as I have no idea? She will provide all her own materials.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you thought about having the tech pay you a weekly amount to let the table/space in your salon? You could still ask for say 15% of everything she makes but on top you are getting rent for the overheads - That way the tech doesnt feel ripped off as to be fair they are the qualified one offering the treatments and bringing the clients so it's kind of a royalty situation. Or the other way would be to maybe do 50/50 the beginning to see how popular it/she is and if so then put your percentage down to say 40 or 30 as again she deserves to earn the majority of the money but you still want to have the salon earning too.You could still charge a small fee for the space too.

Lisa

If she is providing her own products, then I think 50/50 is asking too much. She would be earning way under half for her efforts and, especially if she was trying to build up a client base, could view the whole thing as a bit of a charity case. She has to live, too! :)

Hi Hun,
I would suggest anywhere between 20 - 30% if she is supplying all her own products.
The more she earns the more you earn.
Or as suggested set a weekly rental for the desk /space, then she knows exactly where she is and so do you, if going down that route, you wouldn't expect to get a percentage too. You could set an agreed rental for the 1st 6 months, then a rent review.
At that point you can then decide if you prefer a percentage or rental agreement. Either way you both have the breathing space you need.
Plus you have then given her fair time to build up her client base.
Hope it all works out well for you both.
x x x :hug: x x x
PS just noticed the time you posted your thread, wow I so fast asleep then x

dont know much about % split but i was doing a 30% split if they provided their own products for the beauty room.

mainly because they use alot less electric compared to a hair station and they also have to buy their own stock.

Many thanks for all your help. I am meeting with the girl today so I will see how it goes. Thanks.

Hiya,

I've just picked up this thread when searching for some information.
A lady who owns a hair salon locally is looking for a Nail Tech so I thought I would phone and obtain some details.
When discussing whether or not it would be commission based or a table charge I was informed that it would be a 60/40 split as the salon has no existing client base at present.
I did explain that I would be providing all of my own materials, this being the case what do you think would be a reasonable split?
Love and thanks

Ali xxxxxxxxx

If she is providing her own products, then I think 50/50 is asking too much. She would be earning way under half for her efforts and, especially if she was trying to build up a client base, could view the whole thing as a bit of a charity case. She has to live, too! :)

I absolutely agree! If the tech supplies all his/her own products, then a 25% or 30% is more than fair.

Many thanks for all your kind input. We have settled on a trial 3 month split of takings with review at that point.

Latest posts

Back