commission

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOM

Reaction score
how do you all work you commission schemes?

do you guys think commission is a bad idea?

Commision is a good way of encouraging people to work a bit harder. Nothing worse than staff who are not motivated because at the end of the day its not there business(not that everyone needs money as an incentive).

I offer 5% commission on all treatments once they have covered their wages. I then have a target set, that anything over this they earn 10%.

Hope this helps

I used to get 10% commission on retail and 5% commission on treatments,it's an excellent way to get the best out of your therapists,it acts as an incentive and tbh there aren't many salons now that dont pay commission.It helps to boost our otherwise underpaid wages:green:HTH

Commision is a good way of encouraging people to work a bit harder. Nothing worse than staff who are not motivated because at the end of the day its not there business(not that everyone needs money as an incentive).

I offer 5% commission on all treatments once they have covered their wages. I then have a target set, that anything over this they earn 10%.

Hope this helps
So they have to earn there own wage in takings?

Lets say they earn £200 a week, do they have to take £200 worth of sales?

So if they have taken £200 the next for example £30 treatment they earn 5% so and extra £1.50 on there wage and so on?
So if the then do a £6 treatment the earn 5% so 30p extra added to there wage along with whatever else they accumilate in commission?

Basically thats how it works.

I know some salons give commission on everthing that they earn and i started to do this but if you have staff who are not covering their wages, you do start to wonder if they should be there and as I am a therapist as well as a owner it used to annoy me that i was having to work harder to ensure they got the extra money.

I do pay commission on all product should tho.

OK...

How do you stop lets say girl A booking in all of the customers in with her and making out they can not be fitted in with girl B at that time just to ensure they pocket the commission.
I mean a phone appoinment might be being made on girl A's shift so she's gonna want to book the treatment in with herself so might tell a white lie about appoinment slots available?

I would be a bit concernerd that it could go beyond friendly comertition and detract a bit from cutomer focus.
Would the girls be tempted to try and do whats best for them than whats best for the customer?

To be honest, we do not have that problem here.

Do they make all their own appointments? are they the only ones working in the salon?

I do not use it as a competition between each other and although they all get commission, its seen as a bonus. It does stop people from saying they are booked when they are not and you paying them when they are sitting doing nothing.

I have to be honest I do not know of any salon that does not pay commission in some form. It is an expected part of the job.

I don't pay commission in my salon. When I did, I found that it increased competitiveness between therapists, and became a barrier for proper team work. At the moment if one therapist is running behind for whatever reason, another therapist will do the treatment on the waiting client (if that client doesn't mind obviously).

As for any therapist not working whilst they do not have clients - hello CLEANING!!!! My girls know that there is never nothing to do in a salon, there is always something to be cleaned, stores to be tidied, stock checks to do etc............

Sorry to contradict you, no offense meant.

I don't pay commission in my salon. When I did, I found that it increased competitiveness between therapists, and became a barrier for proper team work. At the moment if one therapist is running behind for whatever reason, another therapist will do the treatment on the waiting client (if that client doesn't mind obviously).

As for any therapist not working whilst they do not have clients - hello CLEANING!!!! My girls know that there is never nothing to do in a salon, there is always something to be cleaned, stores to be tidied, stock checks to do etc............

Sorry to contradict you, no offense meant.
I am surprised it increased competivness,after all most, therapists have their regulars,my clients know who they are booked in with at each treatment. (me) unless I'm on my hols,They really wouldn't be happy just being put with another therapist just because a therapist was running behind.We rarely run behind anyway,thank goodness.Most of my clients have been with me for years,I know them they know me,the other therapists has her own regulars as well,they do have times when they are swapped,i.e holidays.Most treatments are a very personal thing.A bit like a hairdresser,you dont want a different hairdresser at each visit.

It certainly never caused competiveness at any salons I have worked at which paid commission,the only problems it could cause bad feeling with was if say a client was a regular of therapist A,the client came in because she had run out of an expensive facial product that therapist A had previously spent time and effort selling to her ,therapist A was busy doing a treatment so therapist B sold the new product to the client,minimal effort as all the hard work had been done by therapist A.That sometimes could be a bit of a bug bearer,cant be helped though.

i give commision. My stylists/nail tech gets 10% commission when they take double their wage.

eg wage £200

Target £400

actual takings £500 commision £10

I find it works for some and not for others. i am lucky in the fact that all my staff are very motivated anyway :)

we pay a basic ranging from £230-£280 and a commission structure of 31%-37% depenind on there level and experience over the month they get there basic or there %. which ever is the greater after vat. so for example if the too £4000 they would earn £1240-£1480. we also pay 10% on retail and have cash bonuses if they reach there target. there are 3 targets. ranging from £400-£800 a month

When I worked for a Spa, our commision was based on the products we sold, during the treatments.

For £200 and above it was 10% on your wage of the total sold.
For £100 to £200 It was 5%

In another occupation, we were given commision on the treatments and products we sold.

Latest posts

Back