Company name/Self Employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soz

Reaction score
Hi guys

Can anyone confirm if there is any difference (legally and with regards to the Inland Revenue) between giving yourself a business name ie "Nails By Joe" or simply trading under your own name ie "Joe Bloggs". Is the only difference that by having a business name your are making people aware of what you do or does having a business name make everything (IR, tax, accounts etc) more complicated?
Not sure that I've explained what I want to know very well :o .

I know that you only have to register limited companies with Companies House.

Thanks for any help

Sarah
x

I myself trade under a different name. i had an information pack sent through by inland rev and they said you can call yourself what you like, but your name and address wether mobile or not must appear on all stationary buis cards etc.. no it doesnt make tax returns harder but you must contact them within three months of starting self employment otherwise you can get fined. they will then ask you what you are trading as etc.. as far as tax returns go ive just done my first one and it couldnt have been easier. dont wory..

thanks for your reply nailfairy you've confirmed what I thought - just wanted to be sure before I made my life even more comlicated than it already is lol!
x

Latest posts

Back