Competing with Fibreglass systems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should French Tips be allowed in Fibreglass competitions?

• Damn straight.

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Heck no.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Depends...

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Only if they cant afford to bribe the judges.

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
HowdA All.

I was curious to get your feedback on this issue.

FIbreglass cometitors (here in the UK) usually get shafted at the majority of the industry competitions. Why? Because they will almost always get lumped in with L&P competitors at the very last minute as the Fibreglass competitors are usually a smaller group.

Well, lets face it... with the vast majority of systems, L&P competitors can have a pretty big advantage as the Fibreglass results are compared to wining L&P results. That doesnt mean the FG doesnt look better, or thinner, or more natural... it just means that the ruler used to measure the 'winningness' of the FG set is based on L&P results.

(and you wonder why the FG competitor group is usually smaller)

So, you can understand my happiness when I hear that FG will get it's own category at the NEC in Birmingham next month. Hurray I say.
Now here is where I start to get a little curious.
FG competitors have been told that they may not use French Tips or 'Paint on' white products (i.e. More Than White by Fabric#).
In other words, no FG results can have a French look to them.
Why? I am assuming that it is because some FG users can not get decent results using French Tips, etc...
Therefore, to make it fairer to those that can not acheive a French look with FG, they make a rule that means no one can go for the French Look.

Isnt that like saying at the NBA (National Basketball Association) playoffs, no one can slam dunk because only some players are good at it?

I was just curious on your opinion on the issue... is it fair? is it not? is there another solution that works for everyone?

nJoy

The Nail Geek said:
.....Now here is where I start to get a little curious.
FG competitors have been told that they may not use French Tips or 'Paint on' white products (i.e. More Than White by Fabric#).
In other words, no FG results can have a French look to them.
Why? I am assuming that it is because some FG users can not get decent results using French Tips, etc...
Therefore, to make it fairer to those that can not acheive a French look with FG, they make a rule that means no one can go for the French Look.

Isnt that like saying at the NBA (National Basketball Association) playoffs, no one can slam dunk because only some players are good at it?

I was just curious on your opinion on the issue... is it fair? is it not? is there another solution that works for everyone?

nJoy

That would be like saying in Liquid and Powder categories you can't do french as not everyone is trained in Pink and Whites LOL.

I do fibreglass and more often than not my clients prefer not to have French Tips as they prefer a polish.

However if I was to enter a contest I would like to use white tips & probably because I feel i would be more likely to be judged with the L&P look in mind!

does that sound bonkers not sure....

I would love to enter a competition but not within L&P doing wrapped but under wrapped nails own catagory which seems only fair & well done to British beauty for introducing this, but why should you not be able to chose which tip you use surely its the overall look of the finsihed application with Fibre whether it be with a white tip or not if you cant apply a tip you cant its not like achieving a smile line with L & P....What does Ruth think?

I think you should be able to use white tips, because it is a competition so the competetor should be at level where they are able to do different tips. Competitions are suposed to be hard as then when you get placed you feel you have really achieved something.
Also new nail tech's like me have something they can aim to work really hard to eventually achieve in a few years to come!!!

Lisa

Since competitions are all about beauty and design, I feel its up to the winner to have the most beautiful nails (with or without white). :D

There are 3 ways to acheive a French white tip when using a wrap system. One can use a French white tip, or there is the alternative of using a brush on liquid white acrylic product called 'More Than White', or one could even dip in white powder.

As it stands at the moment (altho Denise Wright - who is running the competition at the NEC - assures me she will take it up with the Guild who are putting on the show) the powers that be are not allowing the use of French tips for any category, nor are they allowing the use of 'More Than White', and presumably this would include dipping too.

This to me seems totally unfair. First of all they are limiting the wrap technicians' choice and in the case of 'More Than White', they are actually saying that they can't use part of the system???

Both L&P and Gel competitors have to produce a pink and white nail --- why is it not the same for the wrap users, when the products are clearly there to help them to do it? It takes skill to apply a perfect French tip and it take skill to create a white tip using 'More Than White' or the dip method.

Come on now organizers ... let's have a level playing field for all competitors, and allow them to use the products available to them to create the most beautiful nails they know how. Isn't that what competitions are for?

We have been striving for years to get wrap users interested in competing and sillyness like this will just kill the category before it even gets a chance to get going. Wraps are NOT a 2nd class system - lets give the technicians a chance to proove it.

Wraps are NOT a 2nd class system - lets give the technicians a chance to proove it.

Totally agree with Geeg on this one :)
Some of the Fabric# techs who use these boards, have spend hours getting their nails spot on for this comp :)
Then because of this ruling :mad: may not bother competing at all.
Let these techs show what they can achieve with this system :) In a way thats, un biased. Its not a 2nd class system so why have stupid rules ?

Just to let everyone know, My vote is in the wrong place due to my incompetance when voting. Sorry

Well as most of you know i have spent the last 3 months practising hard for this competition with french white tips then i found out that i can not use white tips i was gutted i felt like all my hard work had been for nothing and decided that i wasn't going to do the NEC competition.

Why should wrap competitors be told they can't use white tips or 'more than white' would they tell L&P and gel competitors not to use white powder or white gel ??

I will be competing at the NEC after some encouragement from my friends ;) but i was very very disheartened to find out this ruling with only 6 weeks to the competition

Finally f.glass gets it own category in a competition...yet its still being singled out against l & p!! I dont understand why white tips cannot be used!! A tip is a tip - whether its coloured or not! Its applied in the same way!

Creating a french looks seems to be the normal criteria in competitions - so why suddenly change that JUST for wrap users? Maybe its because l & p users feel put out because they cant use french tips... :rolleyes: Even though they hold advantages over creating enhancements that wrap users do not.

At the end of the meeping day, the technicians should be judged on technique...not what they use!

xxlaylaxx

:eek:
Can someone please explain why this is a new rule for the Birmingham comp..................a few of us on this board have been working so hard to perfect the FABRIC systems which in my view is the best fibreglass/silk system on the market with white tips for comps.
So its fine to use white powder in L&P but not OK for white tips or more than white to get the french look for fabric.
If you are allowed to use natural tips then whats the difference to useing french, that way more points can be picked up for the smile line which is preblended by the tech.
Would love to hear the reason why this is happening.

I await to hear the reason why :o

Dawnie

Oh well......................
This is a shame............
Obviously the powers to be, that are deciding what we can use, are not Full system Fibreglass Technicians..........
With full system I mean using every tool developed in the industry for Technicians to create that special French look............hence French Tips or the More Than White Liquid
In a Competition I want to be able to create that special nail, using every tool made available to me, from within the industry, to give me that supreme, to die for, sleek, sexy looking nail..........
A competition winning nail..............

White tips, contrary to believe require skill to be applied............
How many techs have trouble pre blending a natural tip!!!!!! Try pre-blending a french tip, get it absolutly perfect in every aspect, sides equal, so the smile line is the most perfect one you could have..............This I have to point out, is done at the competition table under time pressure and not in the comfort of their own house..................

A bit like applying a free form for sculpting, getting it right and applying White powder.......
Like applying a tip and creating a french look with your L&P or your Gel........placement, let it settle working the bead or the gel...........
It is the ability to use a product that counts..............The one you have been trained in and the one that you have prefected in !!!!!!!
Wether it is L&P, Gel or Fibreglass............
Like it or not a french tip is a product and can be judge as such.........

White tips once pre-blended, will have a natural small step, if you where to blend the tip level with the nail, to ease Fireglass application , you would create a shadow, that would resemble an incorrect ratio like in your white powder application...........
I know this for a fact, as I got judged on this at Excel, and it does state this on my score sheet..incorrect mix ratio, go dryer next time.....on of the ruling judges thought I had used L&P and not Fibreglass.........

So now the skill is to apply your resin and Fibreglass in such a way that it creates the perfect apex and a beautifull C-curve...........this requires the skill of a seasoned and well trained Fibreglass Technician!!!!!!

With fibreglass you have to know your products, and that includes your Tip application and that includes French tips!!!!!
If we where to use the More Than White, we would have to paint on the prefect smile line....................
Hey some may say, thats easy................
Ok how many Techs feel, good enough to paint a prefect smile line.........now if I was to use L&P I could create a smile line with my white powder.......If I was to use Gel I would use a French white Gel..................
All Techniques require skill...............

If it didn't, then why are we judged on a painted red hand ???
Afterall it is just painting, or is it ?????

Now this ruling seems to say.............. Fibreglass Techs can only blend natural tips, good enough to be judged at a Competition???????
Fibreglass Technicians have a limited skill level................I don't think so!!!!

Enforce rules like that and the Competition world will be set back........this in my view is not a step forward!!!!!
Why should I as a Fibreglass competition Technician be hindred in any way to match my nail in look and presentation to that of a L&P Competition Technician.............?????

This rule will create a them and us feeling.............
As in "Oh yes nice nails, but you didn't have to use the skill a L&P Technician uses"..."You havn't got that to die for french look!!!!!".............

And I would agree, because we where not allowed to use all our skills in the first place.....As in French Tips or More Than White........
But why should it come to this?????

So come, on let us show you in our own category, our own hard trained for competition skills !!!!!
We are not taking anything away from the special skills a L&P or Gel Techncians has to show....afterall they are in a different category at the Competition...........
We just want to show , what we can do...........
Afterall it is up to the Competing fibreglass Technician to know how to use all tools available !!!!!!!

But on a closing note, we have trained hard to know how to use a french tip and the More Than White to our advantage!!!!! We know how to pre-blend and apply a french tip............ So hey at leat our clients will get that, to die for French look and they will never say............well it' not as good as L&P or Gel............
We have worked hard, at perfecting a nail application Technique............
The same way L&P and Gel Technicians have, to create that perfect smile line with their L&P or their Gel!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my Humble oppinion as a Fabric# system Competition Technician.

I have just emailed the Guild and asked for their help in response to this thread; I very much hope and am sure that either Melissa or Denise will respond here ASAP. We all (I am sure) look forward to hearing from them!!!:)

I think that the powers that be should certainly be aware of public pressure here - the majority of the fibreglass competitors are likely to be on here so put the pressure on here to get what you want. As you say if you have to do the nails with one hand tied behind your back so to speak, will you value your result as much as if you have the opportunity to do the best you undoubtedly can.

What a wonderful post. I love fiberglass. This is the only system that I use. I've never understood why we are not welcome in comptition. Not everyone can do these nails. There is a art to doing FG. If anyone doesn't believe that tan just look at all of the work that different FG techs do. Some are so so and some are great and some should not be trying. I think it would be great if you could have just a FG contest. We could do two French white and two French Pearl and two polished or ever how many they choise fo us to do. They could also have us do the naturl that has been blended. That's a art in it's self. We are not second class because we don't do L&P. That's my 2 cents. Mr.J

Mr.J said:
What a wonderful post. I love fiberglass. This is the only system that I use. I've never understood why we are not welcome in comptition. Not everyone can do these nails. There is a art to doing FG. If anyone doesn't believe that tan just look at all of the work that different FG techs do. Some are so so and some are great and some should not be trying. I think it would be great if you could have just a FG contest. We could do two French white and two French Pearl and two polished or ever how many they choise fo us to do. They could also have us do the naturl that has been blended. That's a art in it's self. We are not second class because we don't do L&P. That's my 2 cents. Mr.J

Spot on Mr J I have been working hard perfecting my fibreglass in the last few months and have learnt that it is not just the case of slapping on some fibreglass and resin to the nail :eek: to get your apex right and perfect a crisp fresh looking smile line with preblended white tips and a perfect c curve is an art in itself
Heres looking forward to the future of fibreglass :cool:

Take care Dawnie xx

Well now i totally agree about us fiberglass technicians not being second class!! we too have trained meeping (as layla would say lol) hard to get where we are !
i totally dont understand how it can be one rule for L&P and Gel systems and another rule for fiberglass, does this mean we will see natural tips with only blush style overalys comming into play in the near future and an end to competion pink and whites?
Ruth is absoultey right about the amount of skill that is required to pre blend a french tip to precise proportions and consistanly from nail to nail ensuring that those smile lines are spot on.
You may think to yourselfs some cant do this so this is not fair for those who would like to compete , but then not everyone can excel at producing a perfect white smile line with their white L & P the awnser to this? dont compete!! if you can not pre blend your white tips to be consistant and beautiful your not ready for the competion curcuit yet! you wouldn't dream of entering an L&P catorgory and only producing a one colour application you would be laughed out of the comp!!
It would be very interesting to see some valid points from the powers that be as to their reasoning behind this decision. :rolleyes:

Mrs Geek said:
I have just emailed the Guild and asked for their help in response to this thread; I very much hope and am sure that either Melissa or Denise will respond here ASAP. We all (I am sure) look forward to hearing from them!!!:)

Samantha have you had a reply yet to the email you sent ????

Mrs Geek said:
Can you please tell me what the situation is regarding the NEC nail comp and FG? Did you get a response and what was the outcome?

TippChick said:
Can you please tell me what the situation is regarding the NEC nail comp and FG? Did you get a response and what was the outcome?

Hi there

i have had a new rules sheet and it states on this that there is no white tips for any catagory and that the red polish to be used is the one provided at the table if you want to pm me your email addy i will send you a copy of the extra rules sheet i recieved

HTH

crazy'n'creative said:
Hi there

i have had a new rules sheet and it states on this that there is no white tips for any catagory and that the red polish to be used is the one provided at the table if you want to pm me your email addy i will send you a copy of the extra rules sheet i recieved

HTH
Sheeesh...........lets hope they think to check the quality of the polish and brush in each bottle:eek: I bought a bottle of Airshield (didn't check the brush...you don't do you!) got it home, went to use it, and the brush......well the brush is kack:( . Thankfully it's only a top coat..........but if it was my red at my competition table!!!

So ladies, the moral of this story is..............check your brush before you need it;)

Dellie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back