Competition and gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cec

Reaction score
I wrote this in my journal, but thought it would be easier to get the answers if I make a thread of it....

I don't have long nailbeds and my nails are flat..... But I didn't have a model, I had some extra time, so I tried to make some deep smiles....

I used my own nails, as I can't stand to have tips. So I know, for competition, they need to be longer. Anyway, this was my first attempt on doing very deep smiles and pinching gel.

I got some problems....

Shadows at the white... No matter how much I try, one and two layers of gel... I get a small shadow close to the place where the clear goes to white (nah... my English is bad....). You will not see it at pictures, but I am sure the judges will see it when looking very closely... How do I prevent this?

Next problem... I tend to file away the white at the sides (the "ears"). For me, it looks like it happen because of the bonder gel. However I use a very thin coat of bonder gel and then the white. It still happen.... I have been thinking of skipping the bonder gel at the sides, but am afraid it will ruin the finished nail... and if i don't use the bonder gel, it will be difficult to pinch, as I cured the bonder gel for 10 min. then pinched with a pinching tool while inside the lamp. It will be a hassle to do it at a model.... :-/ I tried the paper-clips, but they were too tight...

ARGH... I wished it was easier to explain in English.... Did any of this made sense? I will try to take some pictures when I get home. I just hope I don't ruin the nails with the last client today... I made the nails thicker just to not ruin them at once... and shorter... So it's not a REAL comp. nail, just an attempt....:)

When looking at the pictures now, I can see I need to make even deeper smiles.... :-/ There are some pictures in my album, at one of the pictures you can see very clear what I meant with the "missing ears"....

C.

Do you have a picture to show?

Do you have a picture to show?

If you go to my profile, there are two pictures there, the two first once. They don't look like competition nails, too short and not deep enough smiles, but it was on myself, and I can't wear long nails. Those are the longest once I manage to have...:) BUT you can clearly see what I am struggling with! :)

Thanks for answering!

C.

Latest posts

Back