competition nails => what are the characteristics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask all the experienced nail techs in the competition field how a competition nail should look like? What do judges look for, where can you lose points on and what shape of the smile line is the moste desirable?

Should the nails be dramatically pinched to produce the c curve or are there no specifick standards?

Please share all your knowledge in this area... i would be very greatfull :hug:

The most important thing to remember in comps is consistency. If you can get all your nails looking virtually the same you're well on your way. Traditionally a longer than normal square nail with a fairly deep smile line is where you will pick up points but if you can do a perfect stilletto on every nail, go for it as you will certainly stand out and may even pick up extra points if you can get it spot on.
Good luck in your next comp, they really are great fun and you'll pick up so many tips to help you in you day to day nails xx

Thx for the information :hug:
I am really concidering to compete somewhere next year but i am such a whimp since i always delay participation.
It,s the fact that you need a model with gorgeous nail beds and hands + have to travel abroad aswell that forms a practical problem.

Did you found it though competing for the first time? did you over or underestmated yourself?

If i may ask...do you pinch your nails with those c-curve sticks or with a tweezer? How long do you wait after you finished your nail to pinch it?

sorry for all the questions but i am very curious :green:

I am really considering to compete somewhere next year but i am such a wimp since i always delay participation.
It's the fact that you need a model with gorgeous nail beds and hands + have to travel abroad as well that forms a practical problem.

If you are planning on coming to England to compete in London or Manchester, you could start a new thread on here asking for a model who will be going to the show anyway (we nearly all go to the shows where the comps are held) and get her to email you photos of her nails from every angle and then you will be able to have a good look at them and decide if you want to use that person as your model hth
good luck if you do decide to enter.

Judges are looking for clarity of product (no air bubbles or file grit), thin, thin, thin nails (thinner than regular salon nails), good 'C' curve (leave the tip square which shows off the curve better - as in most adverts), uniformity of length and shape, no shadowing, and buff for your life (see the line of light) most girls take a new buffer for each nail !
A lot of points are lost because of bad table layout and incorrect equipment.
You might pick up a mark if all your towels and uniform coordinate ! You will need a metal bin, goggles, mask, antibac spray and disinfecting lotion for implements. An extension lead for any lamps etc, bottle of water for your dry mouth, AND probably most importantly, you're not usually allowed to use oil !
HTH

I am really considering to compete somewhere next year but i am such a wimp since i always delay participation.
It's the fact that you need a model with gorgeous nail beds and hands + have to travel abroad as well that forms a practical problem.

If you are planning on coming to England to compete in London or Manchester, you could start a new thread on here asking for a model who will be going to the show anyway (we nearly all go to the shows where the comps are held) and get her to email you photos of her nails from every angle and then you will be able to have a good look at them and decide if you want to use that person as your model hth
good luck if you do decide to enter.

That would be a great idea, didn,t thought of that actually :rolleyes:
I am just doubting in which category i would participate. I feel pretty confident in 3D nail art mixed media etc... But from the other hand i would rather do the french since i could use the knowledge that you gain from participating.
It would like to do a competition in London since it,s not to far off and it would be nice to meet some fellow nailgeeks :green:
Do you have the dates or websites from upcomming competitions in London?

Judges are looking for clarity of product (no air bubbles or file grit), thin, thin, thin nails (thinner than regular salon nails), good 'C' curve (leave the tip square which shows off the curve better - as in most adverts), uniformity of length and shape, no shadowing, and buff for your life (see the line of light) most girls take a new buffer for each nail !
A lot of points are lost because of bad table layout and incorrect equipment. => i had no idea that they looked at this aswell :eek:
You might pick up a mark if all your towels and uniform coordinate ! You will need a metal bin, goggles, mask, antibac spray and disinfecting lotion for implements. An extension lead for any lamps etc, bottle of water for your dry mouth, AND probably most importantly, you're not usually allowed to use oil !
=> a new one to me aswell.... How do you get rid of the dry look around the cuticles then? can the model wash her hands then?
HTH

Thx a lot for the broad range of info :hug:

Just another question... If using gel, are you allowed to use top gloss? Anybody knows? And how long time do you have? (I am sure I can search for this, I am just lazy....:))

Cec.

Hmmm very minimalistic i have to say....:rolleyes:

Not to use oil is different from country to country, in denmark its allowed.
The most important thing is to get the rules from each competition right.
Also in denmark the jugdes isn't allowed to se whos making the nails, so you cannot get or loose points by not having the right tools.
Why don.t you compete in nordic olympics? by the judging of your nails(from pictures) you would defo have a chance.
:hug:
karen

I talked to the organizers since i know them pretty well and they said that it,s full and that you have to be on a waiting list.
I don,t have any model either + i don,t think that i am that confident to prepare myself to participate in such a short notice... :rolleyes:

I am going to attend a course though in februari on competition nails just to see how it,s done and to catch some tips and tricks.

Is it acceptable that a model had enhancements on her nails before...and then soak them off before the competition...or should your model only have her natural nails months before the competition?...does this make sense :lol:?

I always notice that a lot of techs use ezflow when they compete....which are the reasons?

Latest posts

Back