Competition nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marian

Reaction score
I was just interested to know why when competition nails are always painted red on one hand? Is it to show polish skills or the shape of the nail with colour on it? Its just something I would like to know!

yes i think it is...it also shows every little flaw that there might be....x

Thanks for your reply:hug:! Just one of those things I wanted to know, im glad I was on the right track!

Yes, it's all the things described! The red will show up every single flaw in the nail....although in the 2 comps I have entered (2006 and 2007) they were more interested in polishing skills, that's where the points were.....it might have changed now though as the comps have had a make-over!

Oh my goodness can't imagine being under that pressure with a bottle of bright red polish - I have images of mine being everywhere, over the side walls etc:eek:! (not that I see me doing comp nails for a very long time pmsl!)

It show all the flaws!!! crazy

I must admit i get the shakes when i pick up red polish! But it always turns out okay, not sure about comps though i would need "calms "to settle my nerves!:green:

It's to show surface imperfections, reflect "line of light" with color, also to show polish aplication skills.

It also helps those that are lazy and only want to do one hand of pink & whites.

It's to show surface imperfections, reflect "line of light" with color, also to show polish aplication skills.

It also helps those that are lazy and only want to do one hand of pink & whites.

Funny you should say that Carl. I always recommend to my competition students to always do both hands with pink and white starting with the polished hand so that if they are nervous they can get 'their eye in' on the polished hand and any mistakes or wonky smiles will be hidden underneath the polish.

I also always tell them to apply the polish as soon as they have finished that hand. Then the model can put the polished hand out of the way to dry and the competitor is not having to rush it and risk wavy lines or smudging at the last minute when there is no time to correct it.

I will be judging at the Nailympics in London this May.

Funny you should say that Carl. I always recommend to my competition students to always do both hands with pink and white starting with the polished hand so that if they are nervous they can get 'their eye in' on the polished hand and any mistakes or wonky smiles will be hidden underneath the polish.

I also always tell them to apply the polish as soon as they have finished that hand. Then the model can put the polished hand out of the way to dry and the competitor is not having to rush it and risk wavy lines or smudging at the last minute when their hands are shaking and there is no time to correct it.

I will be judging at the Nailympics in London this May.

Great tips Gigi - I will remember them for when 'my day comes'! :eek::green:

Hi, my name's Ria, Iv'e just registered here hoping to get some advice. I'm hoping to enter a competition in 2008 (after persuasion by andrea sanderson, my nail guru!) It's my 1st competition and I'm not confident I have all that it takes...? I,d love to see some photos of winnning nails from the novice categories but cant seem to find mny pics, could you point me in the right direction? I'm off to do some searching now!!:eek:

Hi, my name's Ria, Iv'e just registered here hoping to get some advice. I'm hoping to enter a competition in 2008 (after persuasion by andrea sanderson, my nail guru!) It's my 1st competition and I'm not confident I have all that it takes...? I,d love to see some photos of winnning nails from the novice categories but cant seem to find mny pics, could you point me in the right direction? I'm off to do some searching now!!:eek:

If Andrea with all her experience has confidence in you then you should certainly have confidence in yourself!! Go for it.

obviously the idea is to get a perfect finish with the red polish.

but, if not quite perfect, would it be better to get it right on the edge but [by mistake] touching the skin, or play it safe with an overly wide margin.

clearly neither is ideal, but which would be less wrong ?:lol:

I think that if they really wanted to show imperfections, they would have the competitors paint the nails in a metallic color. Not only do metallic colors point out every single inconsistency in the acrylic, but they also showcase all of the brushstrokes. How frustrating!

obviously the idea is to get a perfect finish with the red polish.

but, if not quite perfect, would it be better to get it right on the edge but [by mistake] touching the skin, or play it safe with an overly wide margin.

clearly neither is ideal, but which would be less wrong ?:lol:

Playing it safe with an overly wide margin will cost you points! Use CND Nail Fresh and a brush to detail any wonky lines and correcting is a breeze with no smearing..

Playing it safe with an overly wide margin will cost you points! Use CND Nail Fresh and a brush to detail any wonky lines and correcting is a breeze with no smearing..

good plan, thanks.

what is in the nail fresh that does the job ?

Ether!! nothing DOES THIS JOB BETTER.

it might be comparible with my entity dehydrater then, i do believe that also contains it. i'll look into it.

it might be comparible with my entity dehydrater then, i do believe that also contains it. i'll look into it.
Check your msds, EzFlow EzBond also has an ether base.

Latest posts

Back