Competition watching my every move

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfles

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have been a silent geek for some time now, but took the plunge and finally registered as a member :lol:

I'm having a problem with my competition. There are only 2 of us in the whole town that do eyelash extensions. She has been doing them for 12 months, I've just started offering them when I opened my business in April this year. She only does eyelashes. I do eyelashes, waxing, tinting, massage, makeup, facials, spray tan, mani, pedi and soon acrylics (am qualified in them but a little rusty as it's been some time since my last set).

When I launched my business earlier this year, I made a facebook page (both a page and a profile), and a couple of weeks later she made one too. Every time I put something on my page, she puts something on hers. Every time I share an ad on another page, she puts one there too. She added me as a friend on my profile, so I accepted her, thinking if she's my friend, I will be able to block her from seeing some things I post. Last week, one of her family members subscribed to my public updates. This wouldn't look so suss if he wasn't a male - I doubt he's going to be wanting eyelashes or makeup any time soon, so why subscribe if it's not so she can spy on me?

Everything I put on my facebook page is public, so she sees everything anyway, but I'm just getting sick of her copying me all the time! And getting her family to spy on me is downright childish! She is at least 15 - 20 years older than me. It's flattering that she's so threatened by me, but it's just starting to get on my nerves. :mad:

Can anyone suggest how to deal with this? My friends and family have said don't let her bother you, just soldier on and don't give her a second thought, but it's hard to do when every time I hop on facebook I see her copying me. A substantial amount of my bookings come from facebook, so I really need the pages.

EDIT 6/10/12
Ok so this is an old topic from 4 months ago that someone has recently bumped - I'm no longer having a problem with her but thank you for all the advice. I didn't want to flat out block her, as she is the only other lash tech in town I would need her if I ever want to get my lashes done again :-/ but I stopped paying such close attention to her (although I do keep an eye on her page) and i have not been having any problems with her. I actually took over an existing salon a couple of months ago and she wished me well and sent me a really nice message.

Last edited:
Hi Murfles, welcome to SG, properly! :D

Ok so I know I have nothing to tell you that you don't already know, but look back on your situation from an outsider's perspective.

It's not flattering, that they're copying you, it's sad, pathetic and no way to run a business. You couldn't seriously run a proper business that way. Think about every time you made a decision, having to consider what the competition have done and no independent thought of your own? As I said - pathetic indeed. You are an independent therapist, act that way and do what you enjoy, what you think will work for your business. Let her do whatever the hell she likes! If she really has to copy then more fool her - she really won't be around forever if that is the limit of her business sense. It's too competitive if all your nouse relies on others' ideas.

Secondly, ignore it. I know you've heard this from friends and family, but really, honestly every second or ounce of energy you waste even thinking about this situation could be better spent thinking about yourself, have you really done everything you can for your own business? I'm sure we can ALL do a little more to promote ourselves, or improve a technique, or work on a website - and while you're thinking about her you're not cracking on with your own plans.

Meant with encouragement and respect - but don't waste another brain cell on the situation xxx

Take as she feels threatened by your business, she must of noticed a downturn in her trade!
As said above focus on your business having said that it would be very funny to put an extremely daft offer on that only her n her family member can see just so she copies! (I am mean!)

I'd take it as a compliment! They're copying as you have a great business and they do not have originality. A copycat can never be the originator so don't worry keep doing what you are doing they will just be a cheap copy of your business!

Hi
I started a salon f book page way back but in the last 2 months or so a salon in the next village has obviously been watching our page and just about copying what im doing in way of offers and even just posts and pics to generate views!

I find it quite funny and its now a game!When i post on our page it takes about 2 days each time before the most similar post appears on their page!!

I dont feel threatened by it at all as everyone works differently and all salons are different.Theres plenty of room for all of us and a bit of healthy competition is great for us sometimes!

Exactly!

We all like to keep an eye on our competitors to know what's out there.

She must look up to you & your standards as a goal. Very flattering indeed :)

Exactly!
We all keep an eye on what or who else is out there just to keep on the game.
She clearly looks up to you for your standards & good business.

Very flattering :)

OK not entirely sure what it is you are bothered about, in any village, town or city there will be umpteen salons all offering pretty much the same services, the only way to stand out is to offer the best service and treatments that you can,if shes only doing lashes then for anyone wanting waxing facials etc they are probably going to come to you, lets face it she could copy every single thing that you do, even copy your treatment menu but if you are the best in your area then word gets round, people may drift over to her but I promise you they will come straight back to you if what you do is better. So forget about what she is doing and concentrate on making your customer experience the best in your town, i am sure that she is threatend by you....as lets face it would you be if someone younger and more clued up set up shop up the road form you, there is always room for competition, forget about what shes doing and make sure what you are offering is the best. (welcome to salon geek by the way....I set up about 6 months ago on my own and this site has helped me through so many hiccups) Good luck Tinaxxx

Sorry to butt in but how do you find out a local salon copies your post / offer. I'm intrigued.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Oner of my clients friends goes to the other salon and mentioned to my client they were doing a particular offer that we happened to be running at the same time.
My client looked at their page,then looked at mine and noticed the extreme resembelence!!
When she mentioned it to me i had a nosey and yes,their last 3 posts were almost identical to mine in terms of the offer itself and the wording!

Block her on facebook from seeing ur profile/posts etc. I've had someone copying me and I've blocked her so she can't see but it also stops me from seeing what she's putting! Out of sight out of mind! :)

A salon down the road from me coppied everything I done, and I mean everything! Even down to the wording of special offers, using the same pics and everything! They closed down about a month ago. People that cant think for themselves dont last x

Hi Geeks,

I have been a silent geek for some time now, but took the plunge and finally registered as a member :lol:

I'm having a problem with my competition. There are only 2 of us in the whole town that do eyelash extensions. She has been doing them for 12 months, I've just started offering them when I opened my business in April this year. She only does eyelashes. I do eyelashes, waxing, tinting, massage, makeup, facials, spray tan, mani, pedi and soon acrylics (am qualified in them but a little rusty as it's been some time since my last set).

When I launched my business earlier this year, I made a facebook page (both a page and a profile), and a couple of weeks later she made one too. Every time I put something on my page, she puts something on hers. Every time I share an ad on another page, she puts one there too. She added me as a friend on my profile, so I accepted her, thinking if she's my friend, I will be able to block her from seeing some things I post. Last week, one of her family members subscribed to my public updates. This wouldn't look so suss if he wasn't a male - I doubt he's going to be wanting eyelashes or makeup any time soon, so why subscribe if it's not so she can spy on me?

Everything I put on my facebook page is public, so she sees everything anyway, but I'm just getting sick of her copying me all the time! And getting her family to spy on me is downright childish! She is at least 15 - 20 years older than me. It's flattering that she's so threatened by me, but it's just starting to get on my nerves. :mad:

Can anyone suggest how to deal with this? My friends and family have said don't let her bother you, just soldier on and don't give her a second thought, but it's hard to do when every time I hop on facebook I see her copying me. A substantial amount of my bookings come from facebook, so I really need the pages.

I'd say keep doing an exceptional work, build up your client base and if clients choose you over her it won't be because of all your Facebook input (even so that helps) but rather your ability to deliver and excel. I believe, in life 'simplicity is pure sophistication', keep it simple with regards to all your Facebook stuff, put what is important, don't dwell on the fact that someone else is repeating your steps, focus on what is needed to be done. Which is acquiring return clientele and building the business. The easier your reaction to your competitor, the more confidence in yourself and your skill you portray. Some people have more than one competitor in their area and they manage to build successful business and are very open on Facebook. Good luck!

It's hard to just ignore but it's best for your business in the end :)

channel your energy into flourishing your own business and ignore whatever this lady does, there is room for all of us after all.....try not to let it bother you xx

Thanks for all the feedback (and the welcomes!). What bothers me is that every time I post an ad, 5 mins later she does. Every time I share my ad on a local page, 5 mins later she puts one on there too. I can't do anything without her copying! I have considered blocking her, I think I might have to. I changed my settings to not allow subscribers, so her family member can't see what I post anymore and perhaps now I should just block her but I'm worried that someone will tell her "oh she posted this up this morning" and when she goes to have a look and can't see it, will realise she is blocked. She is a nice enough lady and I don't want things to get nasty. I guess I will just try my best to ignore her and just keep pumping out the ads :p

The funny thing is, I have only been open for not quite 2 months, and am relatively quiet while people are still learning who I am and that I'm here - I have a week go by without a single booking but I always make out I'm busier than what I am and I've got her worried :p

When im in a naughty mood im always tempted to put a ridiculous offer up like a colour for £1 and customise so only they can see it ,then comment on it an hour or so later saying sorry but all spaces taken,then remove it and watch their page for a few days!!!!:p

I seem to be having the same problem! I've been running for 2 months now. Not sure how long shes been running for, but obviously a lot longer. Every time I post an ad on a local page, she gets on and posts too, moving my post down. And bagging me out to people in our area. :/ Shes never seen my work, or has never met me in her life, so not sure how she can comment so poorly on my work.

I don't think its affecting my business...yet, as I'm still getting so many new clients. Its just disheartening knowing that someone is stooping so low as to try and ruin your business reputation for their own gain. If I couldn't fit someone in, I would gladly pass on her details.. Just wish she'd give the same respect in return.. Is that asking too much?

It used to annoy me when people did this but it doesn't now. It is annoying when you put in a lot of hard work into something and then people copy but everyone said to me to ignore it and I do now and I'm a lot happier for it!
The girl who's doing my wedding nails won't accept me on fb. To me this is crazy!
I'm still getting my nails done by her though because she's the best!

Latest posts

Back