competitions - scary!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beck

Arty geek
Reaction score
is there any one else out there who would love to enter a comp but is a little (or a lot) too nervous?
i would love to enter, but i don't even know if i am good enough. (not for this year of course) are there any classes i could attend? i have never seen any competition nails to say 'yes i could do that'
i know you cannot view the comps, but how do you know if you are going to get anywhere without jumping in blindly?

is there anyone else who wants to have a go?
if you have entered a comp is it worth just having go?

beck

Hi
i entered my first comp at olympia last march
i was v nervous!!
but i am so glad i did
i booked myself on a comp class with Antony Buckley last yr, to see what i had to do and how comp nails differed from normal salon nails
Entering comps is a good way to improve your timing, techniques etc.. which helps not only when you want to enter another comp but in your day to day salon work
i did a search on comp
there are quite a lot of posts relating to nail comps you mite find them useful if you type in comp in the search box

my advice is go get your self booked on a comp class, find a good hand model
and then just go for it
you never know if you dont try :)

let us know what you decide

Jess
xox

PS i came 7th in the virgins cat(out of 24)- which was far better than i expected!!:)

try beautytech.com and find the details for strut your stuff.its a comp you can enter by e mail. you dont have a time limit so it eases the pressure a bit. there are photos of previous winners too, so you can get an idea of what you are up against.

beck said:
is there any one else out there who would love to enter a comp but is a little (or a lot) too nervous?
i would love to enter, but i don't even know if i am good enough. (not for this year of course) are there any classes i could attend? i have never seen any competition nails to say 'yes i could do that'
i know you cannot view the comps, but how do you know if you are going to get anywhere without jumping in blindly?

is there anyone else who wants to have a go?
if you have entered a comp is it worth just having go?

beck

I've always wanted to but I'm a big scaredy pants! One of these days I'll do it I'm sure! J xx

Don't forget the Virgins category is just made for all you new competitors to dip your toes in the water.

You will be competing against others just like yourselves and not seasoned professionals. Have a go. that is what the category is there for to encourage new ones to start climbing the ladder.

The fact that your considering it is great so i would go for it if i was you, i would love to compete but just have no confidence at all but when that has been conquered then i would definately love to have a go just for the experience and as Geeg said there is a 'novice' competition for us newies so maybe not as much pressure x x x x

hey, i will definately give the beauty tech thing a look, thanks angel fingers.
i just find the whole exam type setting really scary looking and am nervous about not being good enough.
you know kellyc we should get some practice in and upload some pics to see what every one thinks! then we could both have a go next year, and any one else who wants to join in, we might be able to get some feedback from the regulars on the circuit....
hey that could be a good idea...
just need a model now................

Thank goodness - thought I was the only scardey pants. I have wanted to do comps for the last year or so but been a big fat chicken!! Anyway, went on a course to update my skills on Weds and my trainer - totally unprompted - said, right your next step is to go in for comps, after my head stopped swelling, I decided that this is what I am going to do. So like you need to book on a competition nail course and then Olympia here we come!!! (unless the chicken in me returns!) See you there guys!!!!!!!???????? Thoughts of being a virgin again at 41 seems a bit funny though lol!!!!!!!!!

Hey Go For It! It is the most fun, nervracking thing in the world ( ok Maybe not) But its alot of fun. I entered my 1st comp in May of this year in two diff cats. For p&w overlays-well I forgot a few things opps lol. Well I did really bad and knew it very disapointed. But then I did another cat and won 2nd place. This was my 1st comp. So I competed with all newbies which was nice. And there are cats for newbies Yea! So the differance is that ok I sucked bad at on and excelled at another. Well maybe I could give it another shot. Plus all the things I forgot well I wont again. Plus its a learing experience, and it has taken my nails to another level. So it makes you grow.
And we all want to grow in this buz. well I hope this helped.
Alisha

hey sarah, your educator obviously thinks you are good enough, go for it girl, there's no bigger push you need than a compliment like that coming out of the blue!

if i get up enough nerve i may see you at olympia!?!?!

love becks

p.s well done alisha, at least you know what you did wrong, and proved you can do it well all on the same day!!! LOL

It's a dates Becks - see you there!

Hi guys,

here is a little inside info for Competitions..................
You can view competitors, there is usually a viewing area, or at least an open door, so you can have a peek...........There is a Novice Category and an oldie Category lol.....................

The setting is normal...heck it is only a room lol........... rows of tables and techs sitting one side and models the other side...................
There is nothing scary going on............ no one is going to be shot at dawn for either not finishing on time..........or forgetting to tidy up a nail............ you loose points, not your life lol...............
Comps are not there to scare the pants or tunics off Technicians, but if used wisely the best one to one feed back, you will ever likely to get from the industries top people..............
You have a briefing prior to the competition, which outlines all the rules and comp regulations..............
You have floor judging, as well as your final model judging.............
Floor judging will give you marks on desk set up, safe working practice, and the way you look too............tidy hair aso.............
Once you start, believe you me, you will not even notice who is sitting next to you lol.........unless it is one of your geeky mates, how could you not notice them lol..........eh Paula, Dawnie, Caroline, Liza, Antony, Marco, Jess and so on lol..............
You will spend the next 2 1/2 hours working your butt off, to produce the best set you have ever done............
Your surroundings will just fade in the background, all you will be aware off is your model and your tools...........
Your model should be a vital participant in all this too, it's not just her hands that are important...........
She is also your time keeper...............She should advise you on time expired as in............ 30 mins gone by............ 1 hour gone by............. these are vital check points to make sure you are working within your practised timing, this stops you from stopping and checking your watch.............and stops you from faffing around lol...............
Then once time out is called, you leave the Comping area....... usual words to the models are............. don't knock your nails...........this moment is like leaving your first born for the first time at the infant school gates...........
You then spend a few hours walking and talking nails, having a few ciggies (well I do), checking back on your model to see if she has been judged yet.....
No personal contact can be made with your model at this time, but drinks will be passed on to her via Competition staff................
Then at last she emerges.......... you run over, you hug and then take her for some well earned food and drink.......... and some more ciggies in my case for me ..................

After what seems like an eternity, the call is made over the PA system...........
Can all competitors and models for the Nail Competition make their way to........ the nearest pub lol........nope nearly. ... the award area.............
This is where you see all your fellow Competitors, holding hands, chewing their bottom lip, some clutching tissues, yes that's me...........

Then if you are lucky your name is called out......wohooooooooo..........but most importantly, you get to collect your judging score sheet................your placement in your category will be on this so will be the judges names...So go and find them......they in turn will be available to you, to tell you why they have given you x marks for x section..................then they will advise you on how to tweak that low score into a high score..................Have also a look at the winning nails and compare them to yours, what is so different that made them the winner...................

But one thing I will say is that............once you have competed your Salon nails will be 100% different.............. you will see and notice things you hadn't even thought off............

In short a Competition will give you more then you think...Consistency in your work, working your product to a 100% performance, a sharper eye for detail in your work, if you can do a set a fab enhancements under strict time limited conditions, in an unfamiliar surroundings, then just think what you can achieve in your familiar place of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as it was said before, If you don't do it, how will you know if you are ready...
You are ready, when your bum goes on that seat, your model is in front of you and you just think............OK GUYS, LETS ROCK !!!!!!!

Just the way it is for me lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Hi guys,

here is a little inside info for Competitions..................
You can view competitors, there is usually a viewing area, or at least an open door, so you can have a peek...........There is a Novice Category and an oldie Category lol.....................

The setting is normal...heck it is only a room lol........... rows of tables and techs sitting one side and models the other side...................
There is nothing scary going on............ no one is going to be shot at dawn for either not finishing on time..........or forgetting to tidy up a nail............ you loose points, not your life lol...............
Comps are not there to scare the pants or tunics off Technicians, but if used wisely the best one to one feed back, you will ever likely to get from the industries top people..............
You have a briefing prior to the competition, which outlines all the rules and comp regulations..............
You have floor judging, as well as your final model judging.............
Floor judging will give you marks on desk set up, safe working practice, and the way you look too............tidy hair aso.............
One you start, believe you me, you will not even notice who is sitting next to you lol.........unless it is one of your geeky mates, how could you not notice them lol..........eh Paula, Dawnie, Caroline, Liza, Antony, Marco, Jess and so on lol..............
You will spend the next 2 1/2 hours working your butt off, to produce the best seat you have ever done............
Your surroundings will just fade in the background, all you will be aware off is your model and your tools...........
Your model should be a vital participant in all this too, it's not just her hands that are important...........
She is also your time keeper...............She should advise you on time expired as in............ 30 mins gone by............ 1 hour gone by............. these are vital check points to make sure you are working within your practised timing, this stops you from stopping and checking your watch.............and stops you from faffing around lol...............
Then once time out is called, you leave the Comping area....... usual words to the models are............. don't knock your nails...........this moment is like leaving your first born for the first time at the infant school gates...........
You then spend a few hours walking and talking nails, having a few ciggies (well I do), checking back on your model to see if she has been judged yet.....
No personal contact can be made with your model at this time, but drinks will be passed on to her via Competition staff................
Then at last she emerges.......... you run over, you hug and then take her for some well earned food and drink.......... and some more ciggies in my case for me ..................

After what seems like an eternity, the call is made over the PA system...........
Can all competitors and models for the Nail Competition make their way to........ the nearest pub lol........nope nearly. ... the award area.............
This is where you see all your fellow Competitors, holding hands, chewing their bottom lip, some clutching tissues, yes that's me...........

Then if you are lucky your name is called out......wohooooooooo..........but most importantly, you get to collect your judging score sheet................your placement in your category will be on this so will be the judges names...So go and find them......they in turn will be available to you, to tell you why they have given you x marks for x section..................then they will advise you on how to tweak that low score into a high score..................Have also a look at the winning nails and compare them to yours, what is so different that made them the winner...................

But one thing I will say is that............once you have competed your Salon nails will be 100% different.............. you will see and notice things you hadn't even thought off............

In short a Competition will give you more then you think...Consistency in your work, working your product to a 100% performance, a sharper eye for detail in your work, if you can do a set a fab enhancements under strict time limited conditions, in an unfamiliar surroundings, then just think what you can achieve in your familiar place of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as it was said before, If you don't do it, how will you know if you are ready...
You are ready, when your bum goes on that seat, your model is in front of you and you just think............OK GUYS, LETS ROCK !!!!!!!

Just the way it is for me lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ruth you described it to a tea hun!! :)

Well said Ruthie,
i think thats how we all feel about competing, and whether its your 1st comp or yr an "oldie" (not sure how i like that lol!!) the nerves are there,you should see the states i get myself into!!
But after your first competiton you develop an obsession for more, you want to do better, score higher!
You get to meet some great people who become great friends, so my advice is go for it!!
Love Paula x

Ruth, you make it sound so exciting, I feel inspired just reading your post. Okay I'm gonna do it!! Anybody know of any good courses for competition nails? No more scaredy pants and chicken heads for me!! ps I'll be the one shaking like a leaf at Olympia!!

I'm always lookin for people to practice comp nails on and yr not far away so if you fancy seeing some comp nails done up close pm me
Love Paula x

no....... dont let paula1973 do comp nails on you she did mine and they looked like bricks..............................
only kidding they where brill :D

well i need some one now youv'e left me sob sob:cry:
joannerowsell said:
no....... dont let paula1973 do comp nails on you she did mine and they looked like bricks..............................

Paula, I'd love to have your "bricks" applied lol! have pm'd you.
joannerowsell said:

Latest posts

Back