Competitor in my area has almost copied my website what do I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well hopefully she is a reasonable person and will edit anything she may have copied ,(without permission)

It would really annoy me too,
If someone in my area had all the same layout and wording as me, (obviously not FACTS as they will always remain the same)

It's like all the MMA information I have on there, I had brain freeze at the time ,so I looked for a good info site, printed the info, read through it all, then highlighted the bits I wanted to focus on.

Then put the paper aside and wrote out myself on paper what I wanted, re- read it, edited bits I thought wern't quite right fixed it all,
then typed it up ...It took forever, and I found it boring as hell ..But I did it,

I think sharing idea's and working with other techs regarding information on websites, is a good thing as then we all have the right information for clients, instead of lots of contradicting information, that leads to confused clients

Let us know how you get on hun xxx

xxx

Aww bless ya Tinky Winky :hug:

I think what hurts is the injustice of it all - you put all that hard work into your site and then someone who can't be bothered thinks they can just copy it and you won't notice.

It's all a bit childish of them - almost like them trying to copy your answers from a test at school!

I think you have made the right decision - have your website designed to your own specifications and leave her with her freebie website!

Hope you get it all sorted out soon :hug:

just shocked how people have the balls to do this. I have a bus degree and know how important it is to look different from your competitor. What do these people want, to be a clone of us.

For god's sake. It's really got on my nerves. I won't give up, have a plan under my sleeve to make it bigger and better..:lol::lol:

No one upsets me and gets away with it :mad::mad::mad::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks guys for your updates and support, it is really nice to have people i can turn to in times of trouble.

Don't be upset mate.
She can have the website but can she do the job?
Websites don't make you good tech, the best way to win clients is word of mouth, so let that speak for itself.
Don't go ploughing a load of money into this it's your work that counts:hug:

You are right, luckily I know someone who is fab and is going to do it in his own time (hope that doesn't take forever tho)

I get my clients through word of mouth but my website is a big sales tool as I do a lot of parties and this is something I want to expand on, it's given me a good kick up the rear to think of how I can get better and grow

Not worried about other people, never have been they can go and get their own customers and I will get mine

There's only so much you can say to describe what you do.

If you haven't had your website designed for you personally and are using a template from one of the freebie websites, many in the beauty or nail business use the same look (it's representative of what we do), I bet there are many other people that have used the same template as you (many probably before you).

The terminology and wording of what we do is VERY similar.

I'd like to see your site and your competitors site to judge for myself.

Why not post it on here for all to see ?(after all you are supposed to be promoting yourself).

I will pm everyone the websites if that is OK!

You can put your website link in your profile for others to see, or put it in your signature so when you post it will come up at the bottom of your post or you can post it here in a post also.
You do not have to take all the time to PM each geek.:)

hi, could you pm me your site and ill have a look.....

Not going to put my website on I'm afraid or the other persons, have drawn a line under it as they say. Going to make a bigger and better one.

I understand when you say they all sound and look similar, but believe me this was a clone of mine down to copying and pasting, rewording it slightly

Anyway don't want to discuss it now having a glass of wine to chill out,

can i c your website :irked: have you:irked: found away of resolving ur prob this as put me off having a website have u tryed 2 approuch the other person she may not no wot she done :!: i wud change mine if i knew id accidently copied some body elses web site j

Not going to put my website on I'm afraid or the other persons, have drawn a line under it as they say. Going to make a bigger and better one.

I understand when you say they all sound and look similar, but believe me this was a clone of mine down to copying and pasting, rewording it slightly

Anyway don't want to discuss it now having a glass of wine to chill out,

Fantastic you'r spot on..take it as a compliment and go do a better one having raised your objections to the other party....you'r new one will be soooooo much better and get right up their noses :hug:

This is the sort of problem when buying an off the shelf jobby..the graphics are accessable to one and all...to copy your text is bang out of order and you could well have a sound case for "passing off"..thats when someone copies your buisness with the intention of riding off the back of your good will...you can sue and make them change their site and if you have (and can demonstrate) any loss of income as a result of their action's this would be paid over to you as compensation if you were to win the case...

unless your McDonalds it however really isnt worth it as costs just to get them into court are prohibative...

So that leaves you with..take it as a compliment..maybe ask them to change it otherwise you may have to take legal action (this could work)..if they dont..well have another glass of wine and creative thoughts and create something far better than the one that has been coppied (lets hope they dont coppy the new one either )
good luck and enjoy the drink!!!

Hi this thread was from a while ago so I don't want to give out links but thanks for showing interest.

xxx

Hi this thread was from a while ago so I don't want to give out links but thanks for showing interest.

xxx

did you get a new site done in the end???

No, I am still waiting for hubby's friend at work to do it. TBH we move in a month and her site is not good, so I thought well I worked hard on mine I'm not changing it cos she can't get her own ideas !

Well its not nice when you spend time and effort on wording and designing your website, for someone who has obviously not got an ounce of decency to just come and take all the good bits and use them.
But thats life, what can you do? Well you can protect your material by adding a little footnote to your home page.

What is a copyright notice?
A piece of text which accompanies a work and expresses the rights and wishes of the owner(s).

Do I need a notice?

It is strongly recommended that you include one on your work, it will:

Announce that copyright exists in the work.
Make it clear who is the owner.
Deter infringement.
By having a copyright notice you are helping to prevent infringement occurring.

©
The normally recognised symbol. Most countries across the world accept this as the correct manner of displaying copyright.

All rights reserved
Your footnote should be a simple cover all statement. This is the most commonly used statement, and perhaps the clearest, and covers most eventualities. It simply means that you withhold all rights to the maximum extent allowable under law.

Remember, copyright notices are straightforward statements, there is no need to get tied up with legal jargon, the point is to state your wishes clearly and succinctly.

Year of publication
In case of a dispute of ownership of a work, the date plays an important part. If your work was developed and published before any potential opponents then you can usually expect to win any case which challenges your rights.

In the case of work which is continually updated, (for example a web site), the year of publication may be shown as a period from first publication until the most recent update, (i.e. 2000-2004)

Copyright owner’s name
This may only be one person, or it may be a collective, a band, group or team for example.

If there is one person who owns the rights to a work, then his/her name will appear on its own. If however, your work is owned by several people then you may choose to include the name of each member of the collective, or include the name of the collective itself.

This would give your copyright notice the following appearance:
Copyright © 2008 (then add your name)
Webpages should have this little note on every page.

You can watermark all your pictures, do this in such a way that no matter how hard they crop and edit the picture it remains clearly visible.

For more information and guidance have a look here:
The UK Copyright Service - Intellectual property registration centre

Hope this helps a little

I am very curious too, I have a freewebs site for my childrens parties, could you please send me the links to the sites please?:hug:

hi tinks well iv spoke to a compter wizz and he told me if ur bus is registered
then u have copyright please look this up to confirm as u can sue he said if not rectified

Same thing has happened to me here! I haven't done anything about except fume in silence. I put the little copyright symbol and year on everything now, brochures and website. Not sure if that covers me but it makes me feel better. Would love to see your website, pm me! xxx

Hi I hope you don't mind but I am not going to put links on - its a while ago and everytime I think about it I get negative so best thing for me to do is forget about this and the waste of space who hasn't got a clue and can't design their own lol.

xx

Latest posts

Back