Complaining customer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairbybridie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I fitted a set of nanos about 10 days ago, on a customer who had never had extensions before and to be honest has been a bit of a nightmare since day 1. She wanted them super thick and 20 inch, so I got 200g of 20 inch double drawn indian remy hair, all she paid for was the hair as I'm doing a few models at the moment. I even paid extra for next day saturday delivery because she had to re-schedule her appointment with me. When I showed her the hair before fitting she said it didnt look very thick or long at all, I assured her once they were in they would be thick and long enough.

Anyway, I fitted them, took me 4 HOURS!! I made sure they were perfect and as secure as could be. We only ended up using 180g as she was moaning they were heavy. then she moaned and said they're too long.:rolleyes:
I cut and curled the extensions which she wanted, even put her eyelashes on for her cos she couldn't do them.

I ran through lots of aftercare for her, gave her an aftercare card and an extension brush, recommended shampoos conditioners etc.. she then messages me last week saying a few had fallen out and shes not been able to sleep as they were uncomfortable. I told her to make sure she is gentle when brushing as shes new to extensions she needs to take extra care. I also said to keep any that fall and if a lot more fall I will come and put them back in foc and that if she's still finding them uncomfortable I will come and take them out, again foc.

I installed them perfectly as I've been trained to do so, the beads weren't too tight to the scalp etc and I clamped them as much as I could.

Now shes messaged me saying that she's not getting on with them, 'lots' have fallen out and the hair singes when she straightens them. the hair is 100% human hair (from a very popular supplier) and I haven't had anyone else complain about the quality. She's said the hair isn't good at all, im assuming she will want a refund.

How would you respond to this? I'm so gutted as I'm only just starting out and this has really put me off doing extensions again!

I've offered to come and take them out but im scared she will ask for a refund.

any help would be appreciated:( xx

I would reply saying asking for her to bring in the extensions that have come out so that you can get them analysed by your suppliers as this has not been an issue with other clients. I would not under any circumstance agree to a refund. she had had a thorough consultation with aftercare package. some clients think they want extensions but many do not realise they can be high maintenance. stay strong and professional it doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong! good luck x

It’s horrible when you get clients like this! If she knew she was a model I would say you had a discounted price due to being a model and you knew you were a model so you shouldn’t of expected it to be perfect as that’s the whole reason it’s discounted. I’d also say I don’t offer refunds but if your not getting on with them you can come back and I will check them and if there is any signs of irritation I can remove them for you and you can keep the hair. The aftercare my clients sign says I offer no refunds, I’d suggest u doing something like that as u will always get the odd few who try there luck x

Thanks for your replies, I checked the hair and its completely fine, it just needs a good condition. the ones which fell out I took home with me, washed, dried and straightened to check and again all fine, I'm going on sunday to refit them for her, this time using unlined nano beads as the nano tips are plastic I think that's why they've slipped so much. Wish me luck!! xx

I hate people like this, they don't understand that there no need to be like that.
I had a client the other day questioning my qualification, asking me how many colours I do, how long i've been qualified (I own my own salon) but she's been to 2 other salons and came back to me because my consultation was more tourer than the other because I did all the tests and they did none. Then a after 3 consultations of going round in a circle I told her that I wasn't happy doing the colour because no matter what I would of done it would never been good enough. Sometimes clients like that aren't worth the hassle or the money! When I do extensions i've got a tick and sign sheet that I get them to sign as well as do i. It just covers you a little more it just says that I've spoke to them about aftercare they understand what i've told them, also the fact its natural to lose some hair within the first 3 week's and a few other things, maybe thats something you could look into for the future. I'll unload my template if you like xx

I have got a sort of declaration that they sign, do you do the tick sheet after you've installed the extensions?X

I have got a sort of declaration that they sign, do you do the tick sheet after you've installed the extensions?X
yeah so on the day that they do to say that you've finished the service and they are happy with the service xx

thank you will write one of these up xxx

Soo update! She's now complaining again saying the hair is awful quality and to be fair she's sent me pics and the hair doesn't look amazing at the ends it looks really greasy and full of split ends.

Im so confused because I literally saw the hair what three weeks ago and washed it , straightened it and it was fine.

what would you do in this situation? I'm not going to offer a refund as 1. I simply cant afford to, unless my supplier would refund me which of course they wont.. & 2. I'm pretty sure she isn't following the aftercare advice properly.

I've offered to send the photos to my supplier to see what they suggest, apart from that I have no idea what to do.

I've worn extensions for over 10 years, worked for a few high profile extension suppliers so I know whats good hair and whats not and haven't used any cheap hair.

any advice would be amazing.. x

What a pain! Shame you have to deal with this so soon in your extensions journey but you can sort it don’t worry. You know the hair is fine so if they look greasy and split then her aftercare is a problem. If she’s scared to wash them then she will get an oil build up which will cause them to slip. If the ends are split then she is over styling them with heat products or perhaps not using a heat protection spray. Remember she has only paid for the hair and she still has the hair so you can offer to remove them ( as she clearly has neither the time or inclination to look after them) and she gets to keep the hair. NO Refund. If it’s her first time with extensions I think she expects to not gave to look after them! And so many so long for her first install? be firm. She is not caring for them properly THAT is the issue. U could even remove them, take them home , trim and straighten and give them back to her in great condition just to prove the hair is good!

Thanks Sploo.. Will offer to take them out wash them etc and fit them back in.. her maintenance is due this week so I think she's wanting it for free! but we will see xx

Hi Guys,

So I fitted a set of nanos about 10 days ago, on a customer who had never had extensions before and to be honest has been a bit of a nightmare since day 1. She wanted them super thick and 20 inch, so I got 200g of 20 inch double drawn indian remy hair, all she paid for was the hair as I'm doing a few models at the moment. I even paid extra for next day saturday delivery because she had to re-schedule her appointment with me. When I showed her the hair before fitting she said it didnt look very thick or long at all, I assured her once they were in they would be thick and long enough.

Anyway, I fitted them, took me 4 HOURS!! I made sure they were perfect and as secure as could be. We only ended up using 180g as she was moaning they were heavy. then she moaned and said they're too long.:rolleyes:
I cut and curled the extensions which she wanted, even put her eyelashes on for her cos she couldn't do them.

I ran through lots of aftercare for her, gave her an aftercare card and an extension brush, recommended shampoos conditioners etc.. she then messages me last week saying a few had fallen out and shes not been able to sleep as they were uncomfortable. I told her to make sure she is gentle when brushing as shes new to extensions she needs to take extra care. I also said to keep any that fall and if a lot more fall I will come and put them back in foc and that if she's still finding them uncomfortable I will come and take them out, again foc.

I installed them perfectly as I've been trained to do so, the beads weren't too tight to the scalp etc and I clamped them as much as I could.

Now shes messaged me saying that she's not getting on with them, 'lots' have fallen out and the hair singes when she straightens them. the hair is 100% human hair (from a very popular supplier) and I haven't had anyone else complain about the quality. She's said the hair isn't good at all, im assuming she will want a refund.

How would you respond to this? I'm so gutted as I'm only just starting out and this has really put me off doing extensions again!

I've offered to come and take them out but im scared she will ask for a refund.

any help would be appreciated:( xx
Babe, I’ve been doing extensions for ten years.... and I’m having the same problem today.! Sometimes you come across terrible clients. It’s souls destroying and makes you feel shit about yourself, wonder if the business is for you.... then the next day you do a fab job and your client is over the moon... and u feel great again.... situations like this make me feel anxious. It’s horrible isn’t it? I’ve fitted hundreds of extensions for may happy clients, but the odd complainers brings me down. Like I said, my client today has complained she’s lost too many.... I’ve offered twice to refit for free, she’s gone elsewhere for refit, and now wants me to pay for it!

It’s horrible when you get clients like this! If she knew she was a model I would say you had a discounted price due to being a model and you knew you were a model so you shouldn’t of expected it to be perfect as that’s the whole reason it’s discounted. I’d also say I don’t offer refunds but if your not getting on with them you can come back and I will check them and if there is any signs of irritation I can remove them for you and you can keep the hair. The aftercare my clients sign says I offer no refunds, I’d suggest u doing something like that as u will always get the odd few who try there luck x
Hi Hun
Do you have a disclosure written saying if aftercare inst purchased through you then you can’t gaurntee the life of the extensions? Or take responsibility for them ? And when do your clients sign this ? at consultation or fitting ?
To be honest I hate how hair quality comes down to us because suppliers have put these Life spans on it & we are expected to refund the cost of there products !

You've gone above and beyond here already. You don't owe her a thing, certainly not a refund. As some of the PPs have said, extensions aren't for everyone. You can't be held accountable for her not liking what she paid for.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I’m literally dreading the maintenance appointment, she keeps messaging me saying she trusted me and that it’s not human hair she’s had 3 hairdressers check it (im not a hairdresser just extensionist) and apparently they’ve said it’s awful. I really feel like she’s taking advantage that I’m new & I’m honestly on the verge of giving up.

Is it worth asking her to find a different hair extensionist as its draining the life out of me constantly worrying what she will say next... X

Thanks for the advice guys.
I’m literally dreading the maintenance appointment, she keeps messaging me saying she trusted me and that it’s not human hair she’s had 3 hairdressers check it (im not a hairdresser just extensionist) and apparently they’ve said it’s awful. I really feel like she’s taking advantage that I’m new & I’m honestly on the verge of giving up.

Is it worth asking her to find a different hair extensionist as its draining the life out of me constantly worrying what she will say next... X
Yes she is starting to take advantage of you, but it's because you are letting her.

First of all, why are you doing the extensions at price of the hair? You said for a model? Do you mean for training or for a photo shoot? How is this benefiting you?

If it's for training and building confidence then you need to have a trainer with you, teaching you a new technique or helping you out in some way.

If she is constantly telling you how much she doesn't like them offer her 2 solutions. You go and do her maintenance.... And charge for the service, or offer to remove them for her. No offer of a refund.

You can go on holiday, then ask for your money back because it rained and all you did was argue with your partner. The fact you didn't have a good time isn't down to the travel agent. Same thing here, she tried something different and didn't like it.

This sounds like it's just teething problems, hope you don't get any more clients like this... but don't do any more work for free, you will attract this behaviour!

Good luck with her x

I did a few models for free to build up my portfolio & to get photos for social media as I had nothing & Not many friends to practise on.

I will try and be firm with her tomorrow, thanks xx

Hi Hun
Do you have a disclosure written saying if aftercare inst purchased through you then you can’t gaurntee the life of the extensions? Or take responsibility for them ? And when do your clients sign this ? at consultation or fitting ?
To be honest I hate how hair quality comes down to us because suppliers have put these Life spans on it & we are expected to refund the cost of there products !
Yes i put on a disclaimer on the consultation sheet and aftercare sheet that they sign that if they dont buy my aftercare kit i wont take any responsibility for the lifespan of the hair. I also add that blondes have less of a expected lifespan due to them being bleached and needing extra care. I put it on the consultation sheet aswell now so if they are not happy with it they have the choice to say so on the consultation before anything goes ahead x yeah it is annoying! but i do find once you have a good supplier and 95% of your clients extensions last fine and stay in good condition you normally know if it is the clients fault if they are having problems with their set x

Latest posts

Back