Complaint about new therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUEM

Reaction score
Hi, I started a new therapist a few month ago she had just qualified in level 3. I had a customer come in today and complain that her full leg wax that she did was wrong i.e lots of hairs left, she said that the therapist said it was secondary hair growth and thats why it didnt come out!
What can i do to tell her but not knock her confidence?
sue

Did you check the clients legs to make sure it wasn't?

Hi im not in the beauty industry but i am a self employed hairdresser renting space in a salon with the other girls like wise.

we have recently taken on a saturday girl of 14, who we all pay between us and so she is responsible to us all. although we made her watch shampoos before letting her have a go she still hasn't grasped the concept well:rolleyes:

i dont like being nasty and hurting or upsetting people and like yourself wanted to say something with out knocking her confidence because we have had complaints about her washing skills.

I broached the subject by asking her how she was settling in as its been a good month now and basically said now shes had time to settle in which is the hardest bit sometimes, we needed to go over her techniques again and personal skills to perfect them.

i made her watch another shampoo step by step and will wait to see how shes taken it on saturday. obviously your employee is far more capable but all us professionals know you don't become a hairdresser or therapist until you work as one no matter what a piece of paper says.

you could always sit her down for a chat to see hows she's getting on with the products, finding her feet in a new environment etc. and see if she touches on any problems with the products which could translate to her technique and then you could bring up feedback you've received and offer advice.

hope that helps some what?? let us know how it goes x

and as weezie says did you check this client actually had a valid complaint. you get some people no matter how good you are that try and get something for nothing out of you.

The client could be trying to pull a fast one as they know she's recently qualified and started.

i have a client who iv been doing for 3 years now, who rang up three weeks later complaining she wasn't happy with her hair tried to accuse me of leaving long bits which i know i didnt coz i check meticulously and set her hair after so would have seen any long bits. what the actual problem was she has me take off exactly 1/2 inch no more no less which she checks herself during and after.....nightmare client!!!!.....which after 7 weeks growth is not enough! and tried to get a freebie out of me. i told her she had ample chance to tell me during her service and as far as i was concerned she left happy.

when i said id check her hair and take off any long bits but she would have to bring in her own products to style her hair she then said she'd pay for a s/s....she subsequently canceled an hour before the appointment id managed to squeeze her into and had a friend of a friend do it for nothing, if she wasn't trying to pull a fast one i dont know what is!

she had her comeuppance though the person well bodged it up lol!! (shouldn't laugh i know, but if u knew her!! i have clients that refuse to be at the same time as her:rolleyes: )

anyways il stop babbling lol

Hi, I wasnt in that day as she has taken over my Fridays and Saturdays, I did spend the first month working with her and check with her at the end of her week as to wether there was any problems and she didnt mention anything to me. The client is not the easiest one to wax as she has very strong growth and the hairs always seem to be varied lengths as she goes from shaving to epilating and waxing. Im about to go on holiday and she is covering 2 1/2 days each week for me i just feel a bit worried now as the client kept repeating about how it was my reputation and i should be careful.

have you had other complaints or is this the first person?

Had the odd one like, eyebrows still sticky after waxing as residue not removed fully which i told her about and a few have said she was ok but preferred me but some clients just get used to the same person. Ive had positive comments and clients re-booking with her so thats why i thought things were ok.

Hi! It sounds to me like your new therapist may not be as confident as others? Is this her first job as a Beauty Therapist? If so then I would say that she may be feeling slightly nervous and maybe she's making a few mistakes as a result (leaving residue of wax, not removing all hair growth). Did you check the client's legs? It would be good if you could see them just to make sure, it may well be secondary hair growth and some clients don't always realise this.

I would probably be inclined to speak to her and have a little review about her progress to check if she feels ok and let her know what you think. I know you've already asked her if she's got any problems but she may feel like she will look silly if she asks questions as she's "supposed to know" everything, if you get what I mean? It might be she's too shy to say anything because she doesn't want to feel like she's let you down etc. If you've had a few complaints I would approach her and make her aware of the situation, you don't want to lose clients in the worst case scenario. You don't have to be really negative, just ask her if she's feeling ok about everything, and if she would like you to run through anything with her. Make sure she knows she can tell you if she's upset or anxious etc, it might be just that she's shy?

Hope this helps! X

i think if its only minor things and its her first job shes probably just getting her head round everything still. it takes a while for everything to become second nature, we can all make mistakes on a bad day even now. its a positive sign people are re-booking the next test would be when they actually turn up again.

im guessing you were fairly happy with her work when you shadowed her or you would'nt have thought she was capable of taken your days over.

your always going to have clients who prefer someone to someone else...but it does'nt make the therapist bad it just means they'v gelled more with u and your way of doin things...and the fact your the boss so are the top dog in their eyes.

give her 6 months things should have turned round in that period, her confidence should blossom and work will get perfected.

in the mean time just keep boosting her when shes done great and reminding her what to do different the next time if somethings not quite right.

have you thought about training days with her??

Personally, it sounds like your new therapist is still finding her way round things with a few teething problems. I think if she burnt one of the clients with the wax or pulled skin off that would have been more serious.

I think if it was the majority of customers who complained, then there might be a problem with her work.

Being a beauty therapist is hard work, you have to keep to treatment times, do different treatments and be brilliant at all of it.

Some clients do try it on when they know the Therapists are new, so it might be a good idea to check the client's legs.

I think she should know about the complaints. However, Just remind her that some clients will complain no matter what. She needs to grow thick skin for that one! It would make her be more thorough with her work.

Had the odd one like, eyebrows still sticky after waxing as residue not removed fully which i told her about and a few have said she was ok but preferred me but some clients just get used to the same person. Ive had positive comments and clients re-booking with her so thats why i thought things were ok.

Let's face it you can never please all of the people all of the time, and so often young therapists get blamed for stuff that isn't actually their fault. It may be that some clients feel short changed because they are not going with you that they trust and don't like to get to know a new girl.

I always believe that you should support your staff in front of the client - unless it is blatantly obvious they are at fault. Apologise to your client that she is not happy and let the client know you will investigate as you don't usually get complaints about this member of staff. Then just ask your staff member if she is confident in her skills or if she feels she needs help and that you are there to support her and make her the best therapist!

Good luck!

Hi im not in the beauty industry but i am a self employed hairdresser renting space in a salon with the other girls like wise.

we have recently taken on a saturday girl of 14, who we all pay between us and so she is responsible to us all. although we made her watch shampoos before letting her have a go she still hasn't grasped the concept well:rolleyes:

i dont like being nasty and hurting or upsetting people and like yourself wanted to say something with out knocking her confidence because we have had complaints about her washing skills.

I broached the subject by asking her how she was settling in as its been a good month now and basically said now shes had time to settle in which is the hardest bit sometimes, we needed to go over her techniques again and personal skills to perfect them.

i made her watch another shampoo step by step and will wait to see how shes taken it on saturday. obviously your employee is far more capable but all us professionals know you don't become a hairdresser or therapist until you work as one no matter what a piece of paper says.

you could always sit her down for a chat to see hows she's getting on with the products, finding her feet in a new environment etc. and see if she touches on any problems with the products which could translate to her technique and then you could bring up feedback you've received and offer advice.

hope that helps some what?? let us know how it goes x
Sorry, but I'm probably going to upset the applecart here. "She still hasn't grasped the concept well :rolleyes:"?

She is 14yrs old! Would you not be better off taking on someone older? Work places in our area will not take on teenagers younger than 16 yrs and I agree.

Sorry, but I'm probably going to upset the applecart here. "She still hasn't grasped the concept well :rolleyes:"?

She is 14yrs old! Would you not be better off taking on someone older? Work places in our area will not take on teenagers younger than 16 yrs and I agree.

I agree with Tracey here. :hug:

Elaine xx

The client is not the easiest one to wax as she has very strong growth and the hairs always seem to be varied lengths as she goes from shaving to epilating and waxing.

Sounds like the clients erratic hair removal behavior is why she did not get a good result. :hug: I have clients who do not get such good results as they do not stick to the one technique.

Very good advise has been given from Sassy.

Hi, I wasnt in that day as she has taken over my Fridays and Saturdays, I did spend the first month working with her and check with her at the end of her week as to wether there was any problems and she didnt mention anything to me. The client is not the easiest one to wax as she has very strong growth and the hairs always seem to be varied lengths as she goes from shaving to epilating and waxing. Im about to go on holiday and she is covering 2 1/2 days each week for me i just feel a bit worried now as the client kept repeating about how it was my reputation and i should be careful.

I agree with Weezie, if the client is not waxed regularly, the result is unlikely to be good!

The client is not the easiest one to wax as she has very strong growth and the hairs always seem to be varied lengths as she goes from shaving to epilating and waxing.

Personally if this is the case, then i would be advising my client and the therapist who carried out the treatment, that to get the desired results from waxing that she would need to refrain from using any other form of hair removale and work out a plan with her, to help her get the nice smooth, hair free legs she wants.
It sounds like the lady is struggling between treatments and then getting the razor out etc. Talk her through how the hair grows and explain that by shaving between treatments it courses the hair to be courser etc I would then wax her legs every two to three weeks to start and extend the time by a week each time she visits untill the rquired results are achieved.

Originally Posted by Mrs.Clooney View Post
Sorry, but I'm probably going to upset the applecart here. "She still hasn't grasped the concept well "?

Sorry have i missed something, is the girl in question who carried out the treatment only 14, or am i cracking up?

Sorry have i missed something, is the girl in question who carried out the treatment only 14, or am i cracking up?

No, she is not 14. She is a level 3 qualified therapist. The 14 yr old was mentioned by someone else!

No, she is not 14. She is a level 3 qualified therapist. The 14 yr old was mentioned by someone else!

Thank goodness:) my heart strings were going there for a minute:lol:xx

Hi Hun,
I would suggest to tell your therapist to ask the client when she has finished the waxing if they are happy with the treatment or do they feel any hairs have been missed?
It has happened to me when being waxed, I have noticed a section missed, I have always said, hey Hun you have missed a little bit here, then the therapist has just sorted that for me. Then everyone happy.
I can even miss a bit on myself if doing my own legs............Not the end of the world.
I am sure her confidence will pick up and all will be OK.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

No she isnt only 14yrs old she is 20 and qualified in her level 3 in June! i wouldnt dream of employing her otherwise think you may have got some of the posts mixed up!

Latest posts

Back