Complaint - blonde client feeling rooty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerksStylist

Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm gutted, absolutely gutted as I have been doing lady for about 9 months who I have taken from dark to blonde. She decided she wanted to be a darker blonde so I applied a dark blonde tint in-between bleach highlights and she then she said she felt too warm so I went back did a complete full head of highlights and a darker ash all over colour for free and she decided now she wants to just be bleach highlights.

I saw her 3 weeks ago and she said she wants to lose any sign of the in-between colour so took them through. I did them, she was ecstatic and now she's saying that she's rooty and that the day after she'd had it done somebody commented on how bad her roots where.

I've explained about how she is now pretty blocky through the bottom and it's probably more of a case that she visually has lost her highlights through the top but she's saying she can't see any highlights at all even thought I put over 100 in through her whole head.
I don't feel like I can go back and do more highlights now especially 3 weeks post appointment.

How would you resolve?

Hey,

So I'm gutted, absolutely gutted as I have been doing lady for about 9 months who I have taken from dark to blonde. She decided she wanted to be a darker blonde so I applied a dark blonde tint in-between bleach highlights and she then she said she felt too warm so I went back did a complete full head of highlights and a darker ash all over colour for free and she decided now she wants to just be bleach highlights.

I saw her 3 weeks ago and she said she wants to lose any sign of the in-between colour so took them through. I did them, she was ecstatic and now she's saying that she's rooty and that the day after she'd had it done somebody commented on how bad her roots where.

I've explained about how she is now pretty blocky through the bottom and it's probably more of a case that she visually has lost her highlights through the top but she's saying she can't see any highlights at all even thought I put over 100 in through her whole head.
I don't feel like I can go back and do more highlights now especially 3 weeks post appointment.

How would you resolve?

Explain to her that she needs to wait until she has 6 weeks of root & what her next appointment & service will entail & the outcome to expect.

Sounds as if she is just trying to get more free colour services out of you...

She was due a bigger gap this time - 10 weeks due to not wanting to book 2 appointments in before a special event. I feel a failure :( Have said I will go and take a look tonight so may just touch it up and then advise her to find a new stylist. She won't wait as I know what she is like and I don't want to risk my reputation

She was due a bigger gap this time - 10 weeks due to not wanting to book 2 appointments in before a special event. I feel a failure :( Have said I will go and take a look tonight so may just touch it up and then advise her to find a new stylist. She won't wait as I know what she is like and I don't want to risk my reputation

If you've been doing her hair for 9 months and been doing a great job you shouldn't feel a failure. More free work isn't the way to go, it seems as if you just going to cause colour block doing colour over colour so often and then she will koan about that. If you've out in for free packets to help take the warm/darker shade out then tell her when you go tonight, your the professional and you need to take control and spell it out, she has gone from dark to light, then back slightly to warmer, changing her mind and wanting lighter, this takes time, its jot a one service fix....what does she mean by roots - is she saying you haven't coloured close to the roots/left regrowth when you foiled....I don't think you should work on fear if your reputation. If you explain and are assertive and clear then she will have to seal with it.,,if you start to let her tell you what to do then your never going to please this customer as she will always think she can dictate to you. If you feel that adding some more colour will help then tell her but lay out the cost...again your assuming she won't pay and unless you tell you won't receive...most clients won't offer to pay up if they think they don't/won't need to. Good luck, be strong, you don't want a rep for being a push over who will do work for free when clients change their minds or don't achieve the results they want in one sitting when its not possible xx

She's saying she can't see any highlights in her regrowth but on the day i left was ecstatic with the colour. I did bleach highlights - not sure how they could have possibly disappeared!! Going tonight to have a look, I think what she is seeing is her blocky brown regrowth and thinking the ends and roots should be even all the way through, I've explained why that won't happen because of her requests. We shall see but think after tonight I'll be cutting my losses on this one.

Sounds like she doesn't actually know what she wants just explain obviously with foils there is always a slight root and ask what exactly is the problem as u don't understand how she was happy on the day but unhappy now. When did I last do a service on her hair colour wise prior to this evening? I wouldn't do another freebie now I would even ask to cover the cost of products if u do carry out another service. She might also be influenced by third parties commenting on her hair just say "it's your hair you have to be happy with it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, obviously you were happy with it on the day and the colour hasn't changed unless someone else has came into contact with it" definitely no more freebies.

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

I Wouldn't do anything more until you both agree on the picture so if she turns around and says 'I don't like it' tell her well sorry she got what she asked for so suck it!! (Ok maybe not the last part but you can think it ;))

Went and had a look and the highlights are there, told her we will essentially make the problem worse by putting more highlights in which she agreed to do and then review after her special event. Have told her she is looking at 3/4 week touch ups to maintain but she seemed happy with that. I do sometimes feel at the mercy of clients!

Have had an email this morning saying she doesn't want yellow or warm tones but wants to break up her ash highlights as she doesn't want to be blocky. Have just advised I'd have to put warm in to repig and that she's probably best to change colourist as I technically will have to put warmth in to get it to not turn khaki....!!

:Scared:

Just do some nautral low lights of a 7 level? Don't put warmth in her hair it will scare her more

sounds like a complete pain in the arse in my opinion but i would do the same as what rac_hel has said and if shes still not happy then you have done everything u could possibly do then tell her you cant and wont do anything more for her x

Have had an email this morning saying she doesn't want yellow or warm tones but wants to break up her ash highlights as she doesn't want to be blocky. Have just advised I'd have to put warm in to repig and that she's probably best to change colourist as I technically will have to put warmth in to get it to not turn khaki....!!

:Scared:

Do as Rachel said a natural level 7 and put your Pre pig in with your tint there is no need for it to look warm you can get natural results here x

Any update huni? Would concern me that a client is emailing you and keeps changing her request from what you discussed.

Yep apparently I'm unprofessional pulling out 8 weeks before her wedding....!

I thought it was more professional to not actually say i could do something I can't?

She found a base 7 and 8 warm without putting .3 in it! I know the prepig would absorb but still means shes going to say she feels warm...

You can't please everyone and sometimes it's best to just get out of the situation! X

That was my thoughts exactly, I'm spending hours emailing her, explaining all about the process, some colour theory and in the end she doesn't like the advice I've given. I just need to toughen up a bit, it's really made me feel low :(

Thanks for all your help guys xx

That was my thoughts exactly, I'm spending hours emailing her, explaining all about the process, some colour theory and in the end she doesn't like the advice I've given. I just need to toughen up a bit, it's really made me feel low :(

Thanks for all your help guys xx

Well done Hun

You win some and lose some and I've never been afraid to turn away business...if its more trouble then its worth then don't waste your time as it just leads to stress and more stress. Let her think its unprofessional its not the end if the world and she seems t be going in to bridezilla mode and you risk her not being happy with her hair on her big day if she doesn't like what you have done...she obviously did trust you and is probs gutted now you've walked but maybe its a lesson learnt for both of you!

Chin up you will be fine you know your doing something right

Latest posts

Back