Complaint from tenant in flat above salon

Jessiej

New Member
#1
We have a ravair extractor and only one nail technician, I am thinking the odour is from the bin that is left over of a night its travelling to the upstairs flat, she has complained to the landlord and I have to get it sorted, what steps do you all take for the nail waste?
 

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
#2
Daily trips to the outside bin. Obviously only dispense the amount of monomer you need for each client, lidded bin for ongoing rubbish, then outside asap at the end of the day.

It's only a smell, it disapates after a while, no worse than perm lotion or curry if someone is making dinner. It's just 'different' so people think it's toxic
 

Jessiej

New Member
#3
Daily trips to the outside bin. Obviously only dispense the amount of monomer you need for each client, lidded bin for ongoing rubbish, then outside asap at the end of the day.

It's only a smell, it disapates after a while, no worse than perm lotion or curry if someone is making dinner. It's just 'different' so people think it's toxic
Thanks, trouble is my lease is up for renewel and the landlord wants to exclude any nail service, I looked at moving two doors down but when i mentioned it was for a hair salon the estate agent said having a nail station was a problem now with most landlords, and he didnt think they would allow it?
 

ciderella71

Well-Known Member
#4
Is the waste being double bagged?
 

Ambermist

Active Member
#5
Hi, If you contact Ravair Ltd direct on 01424-830700 then they will be able to help you with this. We do not know what unit you have so can't advise but Ravair Ltd are dealing with problems like this on a regular basis and are accepted by local authorities.
 

Ambermist

Active Member
#6
"It's only a smell, it disapates after a while, no worse than perm lotion or curry if someone is making dinner. It's just 'different' so people think it's toxic"

This statement is incorrect, The following two lines are cut and pasted from a NSI Material Data Sheet available to read on their website and applies to virtually all their products.

- Inhalation : May cause irritation to the respiratory tract and to other mucous membranes. Cough. Shortness of breath.
- Inhalation : Assure fresh air breathing. If you feel unwell, seek medical advice
 

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
#7
"It's only a smell, it disapates after a while, no worse than perm lotion or curry if someone is making dinner. It's just 'different' so people think it's toxic"

This statement is incorrect, The following two lines are cut and pasted from a NSI Material Data Sheet available to read on their website and applies to virtually all their products.

- Inhalation : May cause irritation to the respiratory tract and to other mucous membranes. Cough. Shortness of breath.
- Inhalation : Assure fresh air breathing. If you feel unwell, seek medical advice
Which is no worse than perm lotion, bleach or any other substance with an odour or not (lets face it carbon monoxide is a killer but doesn't smell of anything. The 'smell' does disapate after a while, and those with no knowledge of the substance thing it's toxic just because it smells 'different' to what they are used to.
For instance:

INHALATION: Strong irritating to mucous
membranes in the nose, throat and respiratory tract.
Prolonged contact can cause chronic irritation,
pulmonary edema and central nervous system
depression. Repeated inhalation exposure may
cause impairment of lung function and permanent
lung damage
The above is a quote from the MSDS for Aqua Guard Bleach
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ite-msds.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2ASP6-SfF9JPkAJp16sQ7i

INHALATION: This product is a potential respiratory system irritant.
The above is from the MSDS of GoldWell Perment Waves MSDS

(it's American but) https://www.msdsonline.com/2014/02/...lorite-safety-tips-bleach-safety-instruction/

Sodium Hypochlorite Exposure and Poisoning Symptoms


MSDSonline knows consistent exposure to bleach can cause the following types of symptoms:


  • Coughing from the fumes
  • Delirium
You don't hear the neighbours complaining about the smell if you've bleached your bathroom/kitchen/etc. because it's deemed as 'clean' or 'acceptable'.

People might mention the smell of perm lotion but they don't immediately think it's toxic because it's more familiar. No less harmful though.

I'll give you the curry one...it's not toxic but disgusting if you hate curry to be fair to the complainant
 

Ambermist

Active Member
#8
We are not talking about the smell of "curry" we are talking about dangerous and toxic fumes given off by nail products. Your examples above are also products that give off dangerous fumes. Your statement that "It's only a smell, it disapates after a while, no worse than perm lotion or curry" is clearly wrong and misleading as the fumes are dangerous and much worse than "curry"
 

Trinity

Brush Slayer Geek
#9
We are not talking about the smell of "curry" we are talking about dangerous and toxic fumes given off by nail products. Your examples above are also products that give off dangerous fumes. Your statement that "It's only a smell, it disapates after a while, no worse than perm lotion or curry" is clearly wrong and misleading as the fumes are dangerous and much worse than "curry"
and I said I'll give you the curry one - it was a flippant comment and I suspect (and hope) most people would understand that.

We are both talking about dangerous fumes, but my point is that there are other dangerous fumes that people don't worry or complain to their landlord about because they are perceived as safe or clean or acceptable - and that the fumes from monomer are no more or less dangerous than those.
 
Last edited:

Ambermist

Active Member
#10
Whilst most therapists may would understand a "flippant" comment, many, especially new therapists, wouldn't. It suggests that the fumes are not dangerous at all, and it "is only a smell that dissipates after a while". In reality the people, (including pets etc) above a salon that is producing these fumes have every right to complain, especially those with respiratory problems, young children and older people as these fumes are very dangerous to them. Just opening the door or window to "dissipate" the gases quicker only puts them out into the environment and will go into the rooms above, through their open windows, airbricks etc. The smells are a good thing as it warns people of the danger, as you rightly say Carbon Monoxide is odourless and a killer. These fumes and gases should be "captured at source" before they damage the health of therapists, (who breathe them in more often) clients and surrounding neighbours.
 

RED STAR

Well-Known Member
#12
Thanks, trouble is my lease is up for renewel and the landlord wants to exclude any nail service, I looked at moving two doors down but when i mentioned it was for a hair salon the estate agent said having a nail station was a problem now with most landlords, and he didnt think they would allow it?
Why is a nail station in a hair salon a problem?
It could be because the council now insist on licensing.....
You could just offer to pay for the license?
 

Jessiej

New Member
#13
It seems to be a problem with some landlords I believe? Nothing to do with the council if your following COSH guidelines, it must be a personal preference!
 

NZNailz

Active Member
#14
Place a lid on your monomer dish as soon as you're finished applying and until you have time to dispose and clean dish out properly.
Place your used brush wipe in a bagged, lidded container (rather than just having it sitting in an open bin that is only emptied at end of day)
Get a lid for your acrylic brush. Keep you monomer in a closed drawer.
Empty bin outside regularly.
I work from home and sometimes I feel the upstairs from my salon smells worse than my salon itself... it seems to rise?
 
Top