Complete beginner course advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibex

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope you are all safe and well.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a true passion for anything nail related, from simple well manicured nails, to the most impressive nail art. In early 2020, I decided to bite the bullet and start my journey into the nail industry, however, the dreaded COVID hit and so I felt it best to press pause on my plans and spend the time doing more research (around my current full-time job). I realise that many companies started offering online courses, but I just didn't feel these were what I was looking for and could not replace in classroom training. I like to know I'm doing things right, and I just felt that I wouldn't get the same sort of guidance and possibly pick up bad habits. I know this won't replace proper training either, but I am currently reading Marian Newman's 'The Complete Nail Technician' from cover to cover, so I am best placed to start a nail course when I can (hopefully soon!).

Anyway, I have been researching a few courses now and narrowed it down to the following:

- CND Liquid & Powder Beginners
- Light Elegance Beginners (Gel)
- Bio Sculpture Beginners
- IKON.IQ Nails Nail Technician Soak-off Gel education (couldn't find a lot of info on their website though)
- IKON.IQ Nails Nail Technician Acrylic Liquid & Powder education (couldn't find a lot of info on their website though)

I appreciate I probably need to decide what medium I want to train in first, before deciding on the course, however I'm not quite sure and would like to eventually train in both. I am thinking that acrylic is harder, so if I can master that, then I have a better foundation for mastering gel, but realise that acrylic has sort of gone out of fashion, so is it worth it?

I also looked at The Gel Bottle Academy, but got scared off when I did a bit more research. I know Bio Sculpture and CND have been in the game for a long while, so felt in safer hands. I am petrified of using a product incorrectly and myself or a client developing an allergy that I/they will have for life.

One thing I do know is that once the courses resume that I need to stop pondering and push myself to go for it. I am 37 and although I know it's not old by any means, I'm worried that there will be loads of wonderfully talented 20 somethings on the same course and I'll feel old and past it! 🤣 is it too late?

xx

What a brilliant, well, thought out, well researched first post, welcome to the board.

I have nothing to add to your research other than agree fully with all 4 of your suggestions. CND via SweetSquard is an excellent option, as is Ikon.iq - hopefully Bob will be along in a bit and pad out some of the details on their offerings.

It might be worth holding off just a tiny bit longer until things open up again, then, hopefully, some of the big players will restart demo and taster days. These will give you an opportunity to see each of the systems in action and maybe spark desire for one over another initially. I wholeheartedly agree with the theory that acrylic is harder to learn but once mastered opens the other systems easier. I know many acrylic techs who can use gel but not so many gel techs who can use acrylic.

Whichever was you decide to go , keep us updated, and I wish you much luck and success

Hi Trinity,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond, and welcoming me.

I’m so pleased to hear that you think I’m taking the right steps, that means a lot from someone within the industry and obvious expertise.

Great idea re going along to taster days/demo events etc. I will definitely look out for those.

I also meant to mention that I looked at NVQ courses, but there aren’t any in my area. Do I need this to classify myself as a fully trained nail tech? Or will courses with trusted and well-known brands (such as the above) be ok if I’m planning on setting up a business from home?

I don’t know what it is about acrylic, but it just fascinates me and always has. The whole chemistry behind it and getting that bead just right, gets me so excited!I realise you are probably thinking what a weirdo!🤣

xx

Weirdos who love product chemistry are always welcome 🤣

There is currently no legal requirements for nail technicians in the UK which is why there are so many poor training courses. You'll be easily able to get industry insurance with any of the above training institutions 👍

Hello,

I hope you are all safe and well.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a true passion for anything nail related, from simple well manicured nails, to the most impressive nail art. In early 2020, I decided to bite the bullet and start my journey into the nail industry, however, the dreaded COVID hit and so I felt it best to press pause on my plans and spend the time doing more research (around my current full-time job). I realise that many companies started offering online courses, but I just didn't feel these were what I was looking for and could not replace in classroom training. I like to know I'm doing things right, and I just felt that I wouldn't get the same sort of guidance and possibly pick up bad habits. I know this won't replace proper training either, but I am currently reading Marian Newman's 'The Complete Nail Technician' from cover to cover, so I am best placed to start a nail course when I can (hopefully soon!).

Anyway, I have been researching a few courses now and narrowed it down to the following:

- CND Liquid & Powder Beginners
- Light Elegance Beginners (Gel)
- Bio Sculpture Beginners
- IKON.IQ Nails Nail Technician Soak-off Gel education (couldn't find a lot of info on their website though)
- IKON.IQ Nails Nail Technician Acrylic Liquid & Powder education (couldn't find a lot of info on their website though)

I appreciate I probably need to decide what medium I want to train in first, before deciding on the course, however I'm not quite sure and would like to eventually train in both. I am thinking that acrylic is harder, so if I can master that, then I have a better foundation for mastering gel, but realise that acrylic has sort of gone out of fashion, so is it worth it?

I also looked at The Gel Bottle Academy, but got scared off when I did a bit more research. I know Bio Sculpture and CND have been in the game for a long while, so felt in safer hands. I am petrified of using a product incorrectly and myself or a client developing an allergy that I/they will have for life.

One thing I do know is that once the courses resume that I need to stop pondering and push myself to go for it. I am 37 and although I know it's not old by any means, I'm worried that there will be loads of wonderfully talented 20 somethings on the same course and I'll feel old and past it! 🤣 is it too late?

xx
Hi I was 39 when I trained, I wouldn't worry to much on the brand, you need a school with a good reputation and decent course I.e not a 2 day course. A 121 is better as you get the full attention of the tutor so bad habits are put to a stop straight away.
Ask for if you can be put in contact with former students and see what they are doing now and if indeed the course was worth taking.
Marion Newman is a fantastic source as is Doug Schoon, may I suggest you take a look at Nail Knowledge an online Indepth look at atatomy, product chemistry and nail disorders this will get you in stead for under pinning knowledge needed as a pro tech.
Good luck welcome to the wonderful world of nails 😊

It's interesting to read that some of you found Acrylics harder to master than.Gel. I was the complete opposite, I felt that I was trying to do enhancements with runny honey when I did gel.
I trained with CND via Amanda Fontararosa (sp?) up to Master level in all the courses they offered and don't worry about feeling that you will be the oldest on your course, I was a older than you and many of the others were about my age.
Goodl luck with whatever you decide to do.

It's interesting to read that some of you found Acrylics harder to master than.Gel. I was the complete opposite, I felt that I was trying to do enhancements with runny honey when I did gel.
I trained with CND via Amanda Fontararosa (sp?) up to Master level in all the courses they offered and don't worry about feeling that you will be the oldest on your course, I was a older than you and many of the others were about my age.
Goodl luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm trained in Gel, but absolutely hate the stuff. Everything becomes sticky no matter how much I wipe 🤪
The damned stuff doesn't stay still 🤪
It gets dinked on the way in to the lamp 😜
If clients don't hold their hands perfect in the lamp it floods cuticles, etc 🤪
I'm not much better with PolyGels either....I faff too much because I can 🤪
I think I like the finality of Acrylic, I put it where I want it, I shape it and it sets in 90seconds or so - boom! done!

Amanda is a great Ambassador, I trained under Ketan Patel and Jackie Messer at the London Acadamy. I think Amanda trained with Ketan in her early days too

Thank you all so much for your advice and support.

@LjT1971 I did look at the Nail Knowledge online course, but as far as I could see it was only available to students enrolled on a course. I could be wrong though and I will take another look.

I think the same as you guys about gel. When I see them drizzling it on the nail with such precision, I’m like ‘how the hell do they do that?!’. I’m not one for mess and being sticky either, so I think that’s why acrylic appeals to me more. Don’t get me wrong, I know acrylic will be no walk in the park, but imagine it’s very satisfying when you master it.

thank you all so much again. I have been truly blown away by the incredible help and support, and just how lovely everyone is 🥰.

It's interesting hearing ftom those who prefer acrylic over gel !! I love gel !! I am 49 and trained a year ago finishing my course in March 2020 just before COVID hit. I am in Australia and like the UK the industry isn't regulated but we have government approved courses so I did one of those. Since then I've dabbled with Young Nails (great You Tube videos) and I am using Planet Nails which is here in Oz not sure about the UK. They offer courses too.

I am also wanting to run a business from home but I am still perfecting my technique on a few friends before I do paying clients.

I wish you all the best nails are so much fun and it's a learning curve you never stop learning! I still consider myself a beginner but love all things nails. Good luck!!!

Hi Welcome to Salongeek. I trained in beauty at 47. I like gel but I decided that I didn’t want to be a nail tech so I don’t offer extensions. There are some fabulous nail salons near me and I’m happy not competing with their business - I get clients who want a mani or a pedi and something else

I trained with Bio Sculpture and I was very happy with the training. I can mend or lengthen a broken nail and create a nail on a toe with a nail deformity. I don’t do nail art, but I can improvise if required. .

I’d definitely recommend that you have a “level 3” accredited qualification. You’ll need it for longevity in the industry. You might have no plans to become a trainer, but never exclude future options! There are lots of level 2/3 training courses. Make sure (in the U.K.) that they are accredited with OFQUAL The Register of Regulated Qualifications: Qualifications search results for Level 3 nails. Some courses aren’t accredited, that’s ok if you want to do the training, but make sure you have an accredited qualification as well.

I’ve done the bio sculpture training and it was great. It isn’t accredited. They don’t teach anatomy and diseases of the nail, they are included, in the manual but not in detail. You need to do additional training. I trained with Bio Sculpture because clients ask for the brand and nothing else will do. I also use Cuccio.

In the U.K. I don’t think the Bio Sculpture distributor sees itself as a Nail School training the next generation of nail techs. They promote the brand and the colours and new nail art designs and you can book a half day one to one of you are having issues, but they don’t support you to develop your business. They assume you’ve invested in other training.

If I could add to the really sound advice from my other fellow geeks. Why not begin your nail journey with a manicure /pedicure accredited diploma? If college is not an option for you then look into Gateway workshops. It would fit into your week because some are held on a Saturday.

Then you can add on from the first course with gel, acrylic or both and really find where your skills lie. I could never be a "master nail tech" like Trinity, I am not artistic enough nor have the patience to excel at it. I can repair a broken nail and that's my limit. I did my manicure/pedicure course decades ago and then added on a gel polish course which left me thinking OMG it's really hard ! I won't ever be able to do it well. Took hours of practice after the short course.

I leave the art work for other salons and limit myself to glitter!! ha ha.

I hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.

Latest posts

Back