Complete newbie needs recommendations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickie_24

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm Nickie and i'm what you would probably call a newbie here.

Im currently a stay at home mum but my youngest son starts 'big school' in September, i've thought long and hard about my future career and have decided that id like to train to be a nail technician (i have always had an interest in doing my own nails and used to get them done in the salon with Bio Sculpture). I don't drive so was ideally thinking of training at home around looking after the children.

Ive searched the web for home study courses and there are so many variations so i though id ask you lovelies for some advice on where to start, what courses i need to look into and also if you could recommend any by experience. I'd like to be able to use gel but am unsure which one, ive heard of Bio Sculpture, CND and gellish but that's about it.

So the question is, where do i start.....:)

Thank you so much in advance xxxxx

if you want to be home based then I would go straight to whichever company you like the products of. CND is the highest reccommended products to use so you could look into doing their courses, sweet squared is the UK website. Or Nail and hand harmony are Gelish (not sure if you need a manicure and pedicure first with someone else).

I'm sure some other geeks can tell you ins and out of the courses or just have a look online.

Hope this helps :)

Hi everyone :)

I'm Nickie and i'm what you would probably call a newbie here.

Im currently a stay at home mum but my youngest son starts 'big school' in September, i've thought long and hard about my future career and have decided that id like to train to be a nail technician (i have always had an interest in doing my own nails and used to get them done in the salon with Bio Sculpture). I don't drive so was ideally thinking of training at home around looking after the children.

Ive searched the web for home study courses and there are so many variations so i though id ask you lovelies for some advice on where to start, what courses i need to look into and also if you could recommend any by experience. I'd like to be able to use gel but am unsure which one, ive heard of Bio Sculpture, CND and gellish but that's about it.

So the question is, where do i start.....:)

Thank you so much in advance xxxxx

Hi,

I'm retired from the Railroad and thought the same thing...I signed up to start, and asked for how much to send them for the course...the place called me back and said they wanted $20,000.00. I almost fell through the floor. Turns out it was a full beauty school...oh, if I were a younger woman.

I'm looking on line for some kind of instruction as well. So far my hopes have been dashed, those courses seem to be for those who already went to beauty school. I'm only interested in is being a nail tech. So I'm watching your thread to see what folks have to say.

When I did my BioSculpture training I was a fully trained beauty therapist but all you needed was a mani/pedi certificate. There were two ladies that only had this and were completely new to it. Look into the various companies, give them a call and see what you can find to suit you. I personally love working with BioSculpture and have done for 7 years. They do basic mani/pedi training but not sure if you need any sort of training beforehand to do that. Your best bet is giving them a call. CND are also lovely products - my reason for choosing bs was that I was taking over a lady who had been using it in the past and thats what the clients she left behind liked and the salon owner wanted me to do it. But I've never looked back. Good luck with it all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi Nicki I wouldn't do home study unless there's lots of practical time with the tutor present. Have you tried your local college? my friend went to night school and did Nails I am sure it included mani, pedi, gels, acrylics combined. Other than that it would be short courses of 1-2 days for each aspect and I would advise then plenty of practice time with friends and family (make sure you charge for your materials and don't give all freebies!!) and maybe some extra independent study/research on anatomy and physiology, hygiene, health and safety etc

Hi nickie, I have gone down the 'home study' root as it allowed me to commit to a full-time job whilst studying which i found to be ideal as this meant i could study at my own pace and put it as many hours a week as i liked. i find the 2-3 day courses that you can attend try to cram in as much as possible in a short amount of time which doesn't allow you the time needed to practice. I studied 'acrylic tip & overlay' with 'essential nails' which was a home study course where all your practice was done on 'the nail trainer' and then sent off on progress cards to be assessed, the tutors would then send your work back with comments on how/what to improve on. with their courses you get all the equipment needed to complete the course as well as unlimited free telephone support. they're not cheap but are well worth the money and i have yet to read a bad review about them. i have completed the course with a credit diploma and have now gone on to study spa manicure and pedicure. i hope this helps in some way, nicky x

Hi guys :) after a very long few months reading about courses I have finally decided to become a student at college and should hopefully be starting a NVQ level 2 in nails in January. I have an appointment on 17th December and im so excited now to start. I feel as though having a tutor would work bettwr for me than the home study route as I think it would help to build my confidence by studying in a salon environment working with real people. Wish me luck :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back