Complete newbie, things you wish you'd known when starting out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie72

Reaction score
Hi geeks! This is my first thread as i finally just joined today (after a few email complications) so i wondered if i could ask for a little advice please?

I've been browsing the forums for weeks and there are so many of you out there with years of experience/training. It's been so helpful for me reading the threads about training, advice and tips so i'd like to know the following:
If you were starting again from the beginning both training and/or starting out and you could give yourself a little advice knowing what you know now - what would it be? Whether that be products, techniques, mentality or from a business point of view.

I start my VTCT NVQ Level 2 in Nail Technology tomorrow and this is a complete career change for me. I'm really excited but i'm also very nervous as i have no previous experience in the field so i'd really love some seasoned wisdom.

Many thanks, Angie :)

Don't buy all the nail art pretties :oops: Yes they are pretty, no clients won't pay extra for them, yes they're pretty, no you won't make any extra money, yes they are pretty!! ;) but no!

Concentrate on well structured, well shaped, no lifting nails that last, that's what clients ultimately want. They don't want fancy that fall off 3 days later - don't try to hide bad nails under nail art. Use the money you would spend on nail art on extra training.

It's really hard to raise your prices (no matter how long you've been in business, but especially in the beginning) so start with the prices you want to charge going forward (based on your cost analysis) and discount for 'models', 'opening offers', etc. but don't start ridiculously cheap and hope to raise prices later - because it won't happen.

Don't give away too many freebies - a wise woman told me 'something for free has no value' - free nails didn't cost them a penny so they won't take care of them. They have no 'value' to them.

It took me 2 years to be fully confident when someone sat at my desk that I knew what I was doing and I could turn out nails I was happy with. I'm never proud of my nails, I constantly see flaws and given the opportunity will sit and faff with them tweaking constantly, I'm never happy. And when you think you've cracked it, you'll take a few steps backwards and think you'll never master it. It's called 'conscience competance' - google it for some interesting stuff about learning! :eek:

Thank you Trinity, i will definitely take note. Completely agree on the nail art pretties vs training, its very easy to get carried away as there are so many different things out there but for now its not even on my radar.

The main focus for me is training and technique, so i'm just going to practise relentlessly and get my core treatments to where i want to be to get myself through the qualification. I can build on my training further after that but i need good base competency first.

Its going to take me a very long time to get anywhere near the standard i want to be but that's OK, everyone is a beginner at some point i guess!

"Don't buy all the nail art pretties :oops: Yes they are pretty, no clients won't pay extra for them, yes they're pretty, no you won't make any extra money, yes they are pretty!! ;) but no! " Haha this!! I spend waaay too much money when I first started on things I never used and ended up selling to a beauty friend for a huge loss!

My biggest one is that is take a long time to feel like you're doing a good job so don't be disheartened. It's a good thing to be critical of your work because it means you want to be the best. I gave up doing some treatments soon after I qualified in them thinking I was just rubbish, tried again later on and really just needed more practice :)

Thanks JCH. From the threads I've read it seems to be fairly common that sometimes you feel like you are going backwards sometimes but to continue to persevere until you have a bit of a breakthrough. I've saved a few as inspiration for if I get a little frustrated at myself!

I don’t agree completely about the pretties, sorry Trinity [emoji85]
Yes not initially but further down the line, once you’re feeling confident with your application you’ll want to and my clients certainly expect it.

I’d say prepare yourself for lots and lots of practice. L&P (liquid & powder = acrylic) is much harder than it looks.

And enjoy it. I didn’t start nails until I was 44 and it’s the best thing ever. I’ve been qualified 3 years now and honestly love every day. It’s my “happy place”

Good luck

I don’t agree completely about the pretties, sorry Trinity [emoji85]

That's alright Ciderella, it was a little tongue in cheek anyway ;)

I do use some nail art stuff, glitter is obviously very popular but probably only 10% of the nail art stuff I've purchased over the years - dried flowers anyone? Fimo canes? Airbrushing kit (yes I know it's getting popular again, but it's sat collecting dust in the cupboard for the last 12 years) - I reckon even if I stuck something 'arty' on every clients finger from now until I retired I still wouldn't run out of 'stuff' :eek:

That's alright Ciderella, it was a little tongue in cheek anyway ;)

I do use some nail art stuff, glitter is obviously very popular but probably only 10% of the nail art stuff I've purchased over the years - dried flowers anyone? Fimo canes? Airbrushing kit (yes I know it's getting popular again, but it's sat collecting dust in the cupboard for the last 12 years) - I reckon even if I stuck something 'arty' on every clients finger from now until I retired I still wouldn't run out of 'stuff' :eek:

I just watched Young Nails’ airbrush kit lash night.....almost went to checkout the price then decided against it [emoji85]

I just watched Young Nails’ airbrush kit lash night.....almost went to checkout the price then decided against it [emoji85]

I saw it in November when they launched it in the States on a Black Friday deal. It's a clever bit of kit, so much easier than the hefty compressor I've got lurking in the cupboard. I suspect it will be popular for a while, like the original airbrushing phase a few years back but it won't be long lasting, nothing 'trendy' does. It's certainly a lot harder to master than those who 'can' make it look!! :p

Hahaha it's so easy to get caught up in it all! I'll no doubt dabble and experimental down the line I'm sure but for now getting to grips with the basics are enough to sink my teeth into for a good while.
Had my initial manicure/pedicure lesson today, really enjoyed myself even though it's a lot of ground to cover. I definitely have a lot of studying and practising to do. I've got luxury tomorrow and I'm actually very glad I'm having them in quick succession so it's all fresh from today which should help me hopefully! :)

Who are you training with?

I've gone with The Beauty Academy in Birmingham :)

I trained with those in Cambridge worked so well around my little boy!

The flexibility is one of the main reasons I chose them and I'm really happy I did. I like the freedom it gives me to learn at my own pace around other commitments which is really appealing for an NVQ!

Yeah definitely! I enjoyed my time there and I feel confident in my work now which is the important thing

Hi Angie,

I was looking at possibly training with them.. how are you finding it? :)

Really good, I had Katy yesterday and I've got Yvonne today. Finding a lot of the tips and tricks very helpful even when I'm only on day 2, I've already learnt a lot in the time I feel :)

#1 Product Safety - This isn't my fault per say because the products that did me in were available online for anyone to buy. I used unprofessional products from China full of HEMA and HPMA. I wasn't fully aware of overexposure until it was too late, when I started nail school. I kept getting painful and itchy fingers. I used gloves and barrier cream in school but it was too late. So here I am, trying to find a hypoallergenic line. Also, if you end up working for a salon or spa, make sure you can wear your gloves. We were not allowed, it was frowned upon because of the spa environment and if I could go back in time, I know that if I said something, they would have to let me due to legalities.

#2 I would not have let people get to me. This is why I only did nails for a couple years, then quit. I was WAY too in to social media, wasting my time on it. It's been 4.5yrs now and I want back in but I'm a newbie all over again. I was training to be an educator for an awesome international company but just walked away from it all.

#3 Stick to one line. I think it's important to get your nails working well for you with one line because then you can tell if your issues are with prep (which is usually the case). Once you get it working, then expand your product base.

#4 Keep it simple. Don't get nail tech eyes. OOO SHINY GLITTER NAIL ART, etc... Art is good but focus on creating a nice, elegant, well shaped nail that stays on your clients then waste your money on the nail art products. You can make nice nails with a small amount of product, not all the marketing they throw at us.

#5 Try to get a commission/hourly position before working on your own and get the experience needed before being your own boss. I worked at a spa for a good chunck of my time as a nail tech and it taught me how to deal with the clients in the industry without my reputation and money on the line. It's nice having a corporation or small business defending your work and dealing with the customer. You really learn from it. I made the mistake of leaving the job too soon, trying to work on my own in a smaller salon and it failed.

#6 DON'T QUIT!

#1 Product Safety - This isn't my fault per say because the products that did me in were available online for anyone to buy. I used unprofessional products from China full of HEMA and HPMA. I wasn't fully aware of overexposure until it was too late, when I started nail school. I kept getting painful and itchy fingers. I used gloves and barrier cream in school but it was too late. So here I am, trying to find a hypoallergenic line. Also, if you end up working for a salon or spa, make sure you can wear your gloves. We were not allowed, it was frowned upon because of the spa environment and if I could go back in time, I know that if I said something, they would have to let me due to legalities.

#2 I would not have let people get to me. This is why I only did nails for a couple years, then quit. I was WAY too in to social media, wasting my time on it. It's been 4.5yrs now and I want back in but I'm a newbie all over again. I was training to be an educator for an awesome international company but just walked away from it all.

#3 Stick to one line. I think it's important to get your nails working well for you with one line because then you can tell if your issues are with prep (which is usually the case). Once you get it working, then expand your product base.

#4 Keep it simple. Don't get nail tech eyes. OOO SHINY GLITTER NAIL ART, etc... Art is good but focus on creating a nice, elegant, well shaped nail that stays on your clients then waste your money on the nail art products. You can make nice nails with a small amount of product, not all the marketing they throw at us.

#5 Try to get a commission/hourly position before working on your own and get the experience needed before being your own boss. I worked at a spa for a good chunck of my time as a nail tech and it taught me how to deal with the clients in the industry without my reputation and money on the line. It's nice having a corporation or small business defending your work and dealing with the customer. You really learn from it. I made the mistake of leaving the job too soon, trying to work on my own in a smaller salon and it failed.

#6 DON'T QUIT!
Wow Melissa82. You sound just like me re the allergies.
My allergies is what drove me to do my course.
I am now extremely fortunate 5 years down the track in knowing what products I can and cannot use.
If you ever want to chat, message me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/BelsGels/.

Also you might be interested in my blogs about my allergy story http://belsgels.wixsite.com/nails/blog.

Best of wishes x

Clients..... friends and family can be the worst at times.
Make your rules and stick to them. Dont bend them or it becomes the norm and clients reoffend.
If a client is 10mins late, they then get a polite sms from me asking if they are on the way.
If they dont reply by 20 mins I will then sms them advising the appt is cancelled and they will have to contact me to reschedule.
I have an appt app on my phone which books all my appointments. It also sends a reminder sms 24 hours beforehand to client reminding them of appt but also asking them to reply with YES or else their appt will be cancelled. It works a treat.

I found working out of a home salon I had to inforce these things because some were taking the mickey.

Good luck x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back