completly confused.....HELP

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoealana

Reaction score
hi sorry if this ends up as a rant but i need advice.
please.
basically i have got a lv 2 nails qualification, and have done my waxing, tinting, ear candling and mini facial courses privatly thru a reputable company and have insurance on these. i am also at the min doing nvq3 nails and indian head.
basically i have been pondering about doing lv3 makeup next yr at my college and basically been told that my private qualifications mean nothing to them and that i have to backtrack and do a full nvq2 in beauty even tho i have most of it already done before they will let me do anything else.
the bit that really hurt was they basically told me that the private courses will mean nothing to any employer.
being a single mum and saving anything spare to afford the courses its a kick in the teeth and i dont know what to do.
what would any of you who employ peopple advise.
thanks and sorry

I know that Facial training causes alot of issues if it is not done as part of an NVQ as apparantly they dont cover things to the same extent like massage and A&P. I was at college with a girl that had done some facial training and she had to re-do this for her NVQ2. She did say that things were covered in alot more detail of the NVQ2 course than her other facial training.

i dont want to do facials really just extra things to learn. but i understand having to say do that and basic makeup to do the lv 3 but they wont let me do anything more until i do lv2. YET they are letting me do nvq3 in nails. and idoing indian head i have a load of massage and a&p
confused

Am I correcting in thinking in that you want to do NVQ Lv 3 Make up but haven't done Lv 2 first ?

If so then I can kind of understand what the college is saying, If you haven't already done the level 2 you can't really just go on to do level 3 without having done the previous qualification, does that make sense ?

I have to say in all my experience I have never come across a salon (certainly in beauty) that would take a therapist on without them having an nvq or equivilant so the college may have a point on that one. I believe the main reason is the courses just aren't in depth enough if you think most of them are one day you could virtually cram a full time beauty course over 9 months or so into a single week, if I was a salon owner I know which one id choose.

righty thanks.its just i was assured with my private company that it would be acceptable and i am insured with their qualifications as well. i was going to do level 2 makeup but just am at a stop with the college. unless i do lv2 beauty i cant do anything else. oh well i must admit defeat i guess

just wondering do any employers have a view on this. i phoned my training academy and should hear back tomorrow

righty thanks.its just i was assured with my private company that it would be acceptable and i am insured with their qualifications as well. i was going to do level 2 makeup but just am at a stop with the college. unless i do lv2 beauty i cant do anything else. oh well i must admit defeat i guess

So even if you do the level 2 make up they won't let you do level 3 without you also doing the beauty nvq ?

thats right
cant understand them.

thats right
cant understand them.

Well thats a bit mad as I would have though the Lv 2 nvq in make up is exactly the same as the unit covered in the beauty nvq !

I think you should ask the college for a written explanation tbh, I could understand if someone was asking if they could do a beauty nvq 3 when they had only attended a few short courses and not aquired the beauty nvq 2 but making you do an entire beauty course so that you can just do the nvq 3 in make up is really odd.

I am confusing myself now with all these courses and levels, lol :lol:

i think its because they have included some kind of massage in lv 3 even tho its not in the title of the course. anyhow am going to ask some other colleges what they think. just i want to work so badly but the prospect of 2 yr in college is filling me with dread

I think it will depend on the employer and which private course it was. I did a private course in beauty and got a job without a problem although i then went on to do the nvqs as well.

As long as you are insurable then i think some employers will still consider other qualifications.

It works both ways, i have had people coming for jobs with an HND in beauty and did not have the necessary skills to the job just a piece of paper!

If you have experience in the areas you have done courses you might be able to get a fast track course at a college wereby you don't do the learning phase for the nvqs just the assessments.

well i am going to speak to the nvq2 tutor tomorrow and see can i fast track some and as well i might try to do another course i.e. hot stones just to make it worthhwile. i have to give in and get it done just a shame i wasnt properly informed by my college before.
thanks everyone that helped

If you're that interested in doing make up at a higher standard, why not look at doing a course with a professional make up company rather than an nvq? You'll probably find you cover more this way anyway. Can't recommend anyone, but have heard the company Warpaint are good.

Latest posts

Back