Concerns over spray tanning and health

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin love

Reaction score
Look for products that are made with mainly natural ingredients. Xx

Look for products that are made with mainly natural ingredients. Xx

They all contain DHA, which is what the article is mainly referring to as potentially beng a risk.

It's certainly interesting. I've always wondered if they'll suddenly announce spray tanning is dangerous too! :confused: Obviously all the brands are telling us the DHA isn't absorbed beyond the outer layers of the skin, now we're being told maybe it does ...? I definitely agree that Inhalng it can't be particularly healthy. I always blow my nose after doing a spray tan and am shocked at what comes out! Masks and nose plugs for therapists and nose plugs and lip balm for clients would be sensible. Not sure about eye shields though as clients might not fancy white bits surrounding their eyes!

I’m quite concerned about this, it’s put me off giving the treatment

There are several problems with this article. Firstly, they say that tanning with DHA is relatively new. That’s not the case, as it’s been used since the 1960s to colour skin.

Secondly, they say that DHA comes from glycerin. It’s true, some does, but not all. The DHA we use in our tan comes from sugar cane, for instance.

They do however make some good points about additives. Parabens should be avoided at all costs, so should synthetic colouring.

The safest tans on the market will always be those that are CERTIFIED organic as they have been through rigorous testing and you can be sure that the ingredients are safe.

Hmmm this is concerning

There are several problems with this article. Firstly, they say that tanning with DHA is relatively new. That’s not the case, as it’s been used since the 1960s to colour skin.

Secondly, they say that DHA comes from glycerin. It’s true, some does, but not all. The DHA we use in our tan comes from sugar cane, for instance.

They do however make some good points about additives. Parabens should be avoided at all costs, so should synthetic colouring.

The safest tans on the market will always be those that are CERTIFIED organic as they have been through rigorous testing and you can be sure that the ingredients are safe.

Thank you for your reply...

The article was also expressing concerns about inhaling as well as the DHA getting to the deeper layer of the skin.

So you’re feeling totally ok with this? No worries at all?

All I can tell you is that our DHA comes from high quality sugar cane rather than low-grade glycerine. Our tan has been certified by the Organic Food Chain in Australia who have the highest safety standards in the world.

If it’s worrying you so much then you could drop this service and no longer offer it.

If it’s worrying you so much then you could drop this service and no longer offer it.

I don’t really want to drop it, I’m just trying to work it all out?! But of course I know I can drop it lol and indeed I will if after my research I think it is indeed dangerous.

What’s your thoughts then?

I don’t really want to drop it, I’m just trying to work it all out?! But of course I know I can drop it lol and indeed I will if after my research I think it is indeed dangerous.

What’s your thoughts then?

I’ve none really. Gave the article a quick read but I’m not overly concerned

I’ve none really. Gave the article a quick read but I’m not overly concerned
Do you have an extractor fan and wear face masks as well as your clients?

Do you have an extractor fan and wear face masks as well as your clients?

What business is that if yours?
You asked my opinion and I gave it.

What business is that if yours?
You asked my opinion and I gave it.

Hey sorry, I don’t understand why you’re being so defensive? It’s a forum sharing ideas and advice isn’t?
You absolutely have every right not to answer but I was being curious that’s all? See what others do??!

I find that really quite a strange response.

Latest posts

Back