Conditioner before toner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennhartt

Reaction score
Hi colour cats
I’m an experienced freelance hairdresser but I’m doing colour model colour changes to further my knowledge. I did a bleach & tone today on very long hair but her hair was so knotty after the shampoo I had to put a blob of conditioner in to be able to get a comb through it. The toner wouldn’t take properly - I understand the rules of the cuticle opening & closing but I’m wondering what you guys do in this situ?
I had to put the toner on quick as it was bleached hair so didn’t want to spend time trying to comb it through the tangles
While toning if that makes sense?
Help & advice please
- * also can you put olaplex no.2 on before a toner without shampooing it?

PH Balance treatment prior to toning x

Can you recommend one please?

Depends what you’re using to tone with. Is it an oxidised colour or a semi direct dye?

Usually after a bleach service, you need to use an anti-oxy conditioner after shampooing to close the cuticle, correct the pH and to stop further oxidation taking place.

However, if you’re using Olaplex, you can try adding it into the toner mix and apply straight after rinsing the bleach. Then shampoo and anti-oxy conditioner afterwards.

(Don’t try it with the fake copycat ‘Plex’ products because it won’t work the same.)

Most colour houses sell an anti-oxy conditioner in their range (might be described as post colour service or similar) so check with your supplier/wholesaler. Some wholesalers also stock Truzone brand anti-oxy conditioner in 5 ltr containers but I‘ve not used it so I can’t comment on how effective it is.

I did use olaplex, I applied no.2 and then shampooed out as instructions, good idea to put a blob in the toner or maybe I could use that to comb through?
I toned with Colour touch & 1.8% as her hair was very porous
Thanks I’ll try the anti oxy conditioner , I was taught in the salon to never shampoo out a toner only to rinse & condition but I’ll give your advice a go
🙏🏻🙏🏻

I did use olaplex, I applied no.2 and then shampooed out as instructions, good idea to put a blob in the toner or maybe I could use that to comb through?
I toned with Colour touch & 1.8% as her hair was very porous
Thanks I’ll try the anti oxy conditioner , I was taught in the salon to never shampoo out a toner only to rinse & condition but I’ll give your advice a go
🙏🏻🙏🏻

:)
looks like you're ready to go Jennhartt always good to ask!
enjoy x

Depends what you’re using to tone with. Is it an oxidised colour or a semi direct dye?

Usually after a bleach service, you need to use an anti-oxy conditioner after shampooing to close the cuticle, correct the pH and to stop further oxidation taking place.

However, if you’re using Olaplex, you can try adding it into the toner mix and apply straight after rinsing the bleach. Then shampoo and anti-oxy conditioner afterwards.

(Don’t try it with the fake copycat ‘Plex’ products because it won’t work the same.)

Most colour houses sell an anti-oxy conditioner in their range (might be described as post colour service or similar) so check with your supplier/wholesaler. Some wholesalers also stock Truzone brand anti-oxy conditioner in 5 ltr containers but I‘ve not used it so I can’t comment on how effective it is.

Hi AcidPerm, absolutely loving the Olaplex tip in the toner!!
just so I have read this correctly, pop the Olaplex no:2 into my toners post bleaching?
Thank You in advance x

Hi AcidPerm, absolutely loving the Olaplex tip in the toner!!
just so I have read this correctly, pop the Olaplex no:2 into my toners post bleaching?
Thank You in advance x
Olaplex no1 goes in a toner, unless you're using a direct die then you can use Olaplex no 2

Bit confused now! - so I did this today:
I put olaplex no. 1 in the bleach mixture, did my highlights, rinsed out, put olaplex no.2 in my dialight toner with 1.8%
Left on for 10 mins
Shampooed & condition- hair was toned beautifully & felt super soft
Was that the right thing to do ?

I put olaplex no. 1 in the bleach mixture, did my highlights, rinsed out, put olaplex no.2 in my dialight toner with 1.8%
Left on for 10 mins
If it works for you then I'm not going to tell you not to do it. But when I went on the Olaplex course, we were told no 2 doesn't go in colour. It's used afterwards to finish the process. But it can be used in a direct die as a pasteliser, because its not an oxidative colour.
Olaplex no2 can be used as an anti oxy replacement :- which is usually the final step to finish the colouring process :)

Thanks so much for your reply. I’ve watched /read all the info I can get on olaplex online & also chatting with other Colourists I work with and everyone seems to have a different way to use it!
I’ve always put no.1 in my colour then shampooed then no.2 for 10 mins then shampooed then toner then rinse then conditioner but it just seemed like such a long winded process!

I really appreciate your advice ! Defo going to look into doing a course :)

Left on for 10 mins
Fab.. that’s exactly what I understood to do . Pleased it went well for you! x

Latest posts

Back