Confidence needed RE Fibreglass application.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
I need some advice about fibreglass application.
I am scared of doing it! Scared that i'm gonna burn my client cos that is what happened to me and it hurt, twice.
Again we are using Millenium and i need to do my assessments wednesday and thursday :eek:
I know i won't rush and i probably won't even touch the clients skin with resin but i feel a little sick at the thought of the fact that i might. Oh dear.
Heeeeeelllllp me please. Therapy time needed :lol:

Hi Mandy,

I believe the burning you have experienced is due to using too much activator (whether it's brush on or spray).

I'm sure you will be fine. Just take your time with your assessment. :hug:

don't spray the activator to close as you can cause a heat reaction

maybe you could try a brush on resin and activator

Unfortunatley i only have spray on activator.
So when it burns it's only if the resin touches the skin then you spray the activator on?
I bet it takes me about 2 and a half hours to do a set, lol :irked:

use brush on resin, i use it for everythng anyway instead of normal adhesive.

and apply thinnly. when you appl too much product, same with gel, it will heat spike. the less you apply, the less product there is to react, so will hurt less if at all.

do you use a thin and a thick resin? like a thicker builder resin, gel like? This i what will probs spike a bit more.

do you use a thin and a thick resin? like a thicker builder resin, gel like? This i what will probs spike a bit more.
I only have one resin. I have put of doing this assessment, wish i hadn't now.
The whole thing is making me :cry: even down to getting the right ammount of resin on so that the fibreglass strip doesn't show through :irked:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

put a dribble of resin in the center of each nail bed an spread it on the nail u will never get it on the skin with this way and it wont be thick to burn ur client by activating it...good luck

I'm going to go and do one of my nails :eek:

Well i've had a go and managed not to burn myself! I must say though, the nail is practically flat! :lol:
More practice needed, god help my client come wednesday evening :eek:

ღMandyღ;692706 said:
Well i've had a go and managed not to burn myself! I must say though, the nail is practically flat! :lol:
More practice needed, god help my client come wednesday evening :eek:

lol, dont let it get the better of you hun!!

the flattness is the reason i used to have a thicker resin aswell, aka brush on gel i think. even though mine never had a brush lol. It was in a bottle same as none brush resin.

you apply the silk, do one or two thin coats of resin to soak into the silk / fiberglass. Then a little blob of brush on gel at the stress area, which will spread and form a bit more of an apex. you may need brush on activator for the 'gel', so that you can use the brush to tease it out a bit.

dont forget if you use brush on activator you need brush saver aswell, so never pu the activator brush back in the bottle, swap it with the saver. so you never get a hard brush! lol.

Do not let it get the better of you, one way or another im sure we have all been there, I know I have. I used to feel sick when I used to do assessments at college.

I trained in Star Nails fibreglass, we used a spray on activator, try holding the spray further away, this should alleviate the burning. xx

Then a little blob of brush on gel at the stress area, which will spread and form a bit more of an apex. you may need brush on activator for the 'gel', so that you can use the brush to tease it out a bit.
Think i will invest in some gel, never heard or seen it before but i'm sure i'll find some.

ღMandyღ;693310 said:
Think i will invest in some gel, never heard or seen it before but i'm sure i'll find some.
The gel resin is a thicker viscosity and allows you to build a beautiful apex, you use a brush-on activator with it.
Millennium stock it (same brand you're currently using), it's got a green label and called 'Liquid Brush On Gel'.

hth's a bit

The gel resin is a thicker viscosity and allows you to build a beautiful apex, you use a brush-on activator with it.
Millennium stock it (same brand you're currently using), it's got a green label and called 'Liquid Brush On Gel'.

hth's a bit
Thanks for that hun, a trip to Millenium it is then.
I think if i get over my fear fibreglass could become a fave of mine.

Well tonight is the night, i'll let you all know how it goes.

Ok all, assessment passed!
All went well, no burning the client which was fab. Took me 2 hours for the full set which is ok for my first set and only 15 minutes over the set timing.
They imo looked ok but will get better them more i do.
Tutor was happy with them which is the main thing and she is hard to please at times, lol.
Client was happy with them but it was the first time she has ever had her nails done so i was expecting her to say that even if they did look like the dogs dinner :)
I really enjoyed doing them, hoping to be able to get another set done tonight so that i build up my confidence.
Thanks all for your help and advice :hug:

Well done you... see, it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be :hug:

I use Millennium fibreglass.

The brush on resin is much easier to use, I would certainly consider switching to it.

I also use the Liquid brush on gel which does create beautiful apexes as Sandi said.

I always find if I hold the spray on activator about 12 cms away from the nails, there is less of a burning sensation.

I'm glad all went well. Fibreglass is a lovely system, and often under-rated.
:D

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

lol.

Thanks and lol :hug:
Last night was a breeze compaired to my severly bitten nails tonight, nightmare!
All done though :D

I'm so looking forward to doing l&p sculpts next week.

Latest posts

Back