Confidence - or lack of

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I qualified up to NVQ3 Hairdressing during covid, i am having some confidence issues when it comes to colour.
I am extremely nervous when doing clients hair and feeling as though I don't know what i am doing in terms of picking colours etc. I look back at the work i done when in college (colour corrections etc and think how on earth did i do that)

I haven't had any complaints as of yet but know i could do better (from what i see/read online, social media etc). I had a client in on Saturday, level 3, which wanted a full head of highlights to lighten her hair subtly. I did all over scattered highlights, then using NXT semi toned to a caramel blonde highlights with level 5 base. the client was very happy, but I wasn't if that makes sense.

I see other hairdressers being able to give out formulas off the top of their heads, is there anything anyone can recommend to be able to learn more and gain confidence. I would love to get to the point where im not anxious when asked for a colour service.

I know a lot of this was to do with the college, they carried on at home learning then passed everyone. Out of 3 classes there's a handful of us now working.

Hi All,

I qualified up to NVQ3 Hairdressing during covid, i am having some confidence issues when it comes to colour.
I am extremely nervous when doing clients hair and feeling as though I don't know what i am doing in terms of picking colours etc. I look back at the work i done when in college (colour corrections etc and think how on earth did i do that)

I haven't had any complaints as of yet but know i could do better (from what i see/read online, social media etc). I had a client in on Saturday, level 3, which wanted a full head of highlights to lighten her hair subtly. I did all over scattered highlights, then using NXT semi toned to a caramel blonde highlights with level 5 base. the client was very happy, but I wasn't if that makes sense.

I see other hairdressers being able to give out formulas off the top of their heads, is there anything anyone can recommend to be able to learn more and gain confidence. I would love to get to the point where im not anxious when asked for a colour service.

I know a lot of this was to do with the college, they carried on at home learning then passed everyone. Out of 3 classes there's a handful of us now working.
When you think back to the colour what was it that your weren't happy with? We're you able to spot what you thought could be better.
I admire your honesty and the fact that you're reaching out for help.
It's important to understand why you're doing something and not just stick to the things you know work because they work.
Im happy to help wherever I can.

When you think back to the colour what was it that your weren't happy with? We're you able to spot what you thought could be better.
I admire your honesty and the fact that you're reaching out for help.
It's important to understand why you're doing something and not just stick to the things you know work because they work.
Im happy to help wherever I can.
So this was the before & after. She was very happy, I need to get quicker with my foils or Atleast practise a different technique as I did originally want to do a colour in between the foils, however they took too quickly so that plan changed.

I just feel like I could’ve done something different to do better (I know doesn’t make much sense as I’m not sure what I could’ve done). I’m would love to get to the point where I don’t need to panic or ‘search online’ a load of colours as my knowledge in colour/formulas just isn’t where it should be.

I appreciate your help & response. Hair is my passion and I’m determined to improve.

Attachments

• F82DBEC9-8197-47BD-A480-70155CBBC53D.jpeg
    F82DBEC9-8197-47BD-A480-70155CBBC53D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
So this was the before & after. She was very happy, I need to get quicker with my foils or Atleast practise a different technique as I did originally want to do a colour in between the foils, however they took too quickly so that plan changed.

I just feel like I could’ve done something different to do better (I know doesn’t make much sense as I’m not sure what I could’ve done). I’m would love to get to the point where I don’t need to panic or ‘search online’ a load of colours as my knowledge in colour/formulas just isn’t where it should be.

I appreciate your help & response. Hair is my passion and I’m determined to improve.
That looks lovely! Nice colour and a nice smooth blowdry too.
I have 9 years experience in the industry and still find myself doing research for certain colours or for finding product's etc. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Theres only two ways you'll learn and that's research and practice.
I feel like it's important to try and understand why you're doing something before you put it in to practice. Because this will help build confidence when you are doing it.

That looks lovely! Nice colour and a nice smooth blowdry too.
I have 9 years experience in the industry and still find myself doing research for certain colours or for finding product's etc. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Theres only two ways you'll learn and that's research and practice.
I feel like it's important to try and understand why you're doing something before you put it in to practice. Because this will help build confidence when you are doing it.
Thank you so much!

I really appreciate your words.
Can I pick your brain on something? I have a client - BRASSY blonde. Wants to be a light ash blonde. Light orange hues in places most closest to her root. yellow ends.

I’m thinking full head of highlights, broken up with low lights to add the depth (she’s request)

What formula/way would you suggest? I use Nxt.

Thank you x

Thank you so much!

I really appreciate your words.
Can I pick your brain on something? I have a client - BRASSY blonde. Wants to be a light ash blonde. Light orange hues in places most closest to her root. yellow ends.

I’m thinking full head of highlights, broken up with low lights to add the depth (she’s request)

What formula/way would you suggest? I use Nxt.

Thank you x
I would probably do a full head slices of bleach 3% for the roots and warmer areas. And bleach + 1.5% on M.L.E . Move up to bleach + 4% on roots when you get half way.
I'd also add in some fine weaves of 7.13 or mix 7.7 + 7.1 with 1.5%
I'd then tone it all with the semi 9.02 if you want a lighter/ brighter result then you can add in some 10.0

Hiya! Don't worry it all takes time , give yourself some :) Know the bases , know the undertones and experiment on anyone you can get your hands on :)

Latest posts

Back