Confirming clients appointments???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly83

Reaction score
How many geeks, call to confirm with their clients the day before their appointment?

I have just started doing this coz around this time of year there tend to be some no shows. Most of the time i never usually have this problem. I had one client today who i called to confirm twice (i also left a message on her voice mail) but got no answer at all. Then she showed up for her appointment ten mins late. Is there any point to calling them if they are just going to ignore you?:mad: The only reason i call is cos i have a cancellation list of people who need to get in, so if the person i call doesn't call back should i assume they are or are not coming??:confused: And if i assume they are coming and they don't show then i am losing money. What should i do???

Sorry this is so long

Michelle

You can't get it perfect all the time.

It is frustrating when you have a list of people waiting and then get a missed appointment. These however are just some of the frustrations anyone who takes appointments has to put up with.

I could never have rung all my clients the night before ... too tired. But I would ring the 'dodgy' ones. You know pretty much who are your depend-ables and who are the risky ones.

Another thing is to keep impressing/educating your clients that you do have a waiting list and to PLEASE ring you if they know they can't make it.

So my advice ... call new ones that you don't know to confirm
...................... call the ones who you have doubts about
...................... impress to all clients that you have a waiting list!

as annoying as it can be its just part of nail tech life....even though you had left 2 messages for her...she could have got stuck in traffic or something that resulted in her being 10 mins late on the day.....these things happen.

I think it's a matter of opinion, I have a cancellation policy, that they all know.

The way I see it is ..... they made an appointment with me (so therefore it's up to them to keep it) I went to the trouble of booking my time out because "they" requested it.

If they don't show up, I fine em ... they pay .... or they can go up the road to get crappy nails done by Sweaty Betty or Wha Colahyouwan at the Lumpy Bumpy Nail Company.

But do what you thinks suits you.

Thanks for your replys i might just do that and only call the new & forgetful ones. Its just frustrating when you cant get your good ol' faithfuls in cos someone new hasn't bothered to turn up. arrrrggh!!

I think it's a matter of opinion, I have a cancellation policy, that they all know.

The way I see it is ..... they made an appointment with me (so therefore it's up to them to keep it) I went to the trouble of booking my time out because "they" requested it.

If they don't show up, I fine em ... they pay .... or they can go up the road to get crappy nails done by Sweaty Betty or Wha Colahyouwan at the Lumpy Bumpy Nail Company.

But do what you thinks suits you.

Hi Carl,

Do you take a deposit when you make a booking or do they just pay when they next come in?

How much do you 'fine' them? A percentage of the service or the whole amount?

I've heard that alot of people do this and have had good results but would like to find out about it abit more, and get the guts to do it. I am too soft lol.

I only have a few clients at the moment as I'm new to this. My "new girl" paranoia means that I always ring a client the night before to confirm. I did this last night, and this morning, I woke up to a text saying that she wont be coming, can she rearrange. I suppose at least she had the courtesy to let me know albeit short notice, but being mobile I dont have the opportunity of passing trade to fill the appointment with a walk-in.

I'm just going to take it on the chin. I think this is one of the hazards of self employment, you cant always rely on people. However, Thats good advice from Gigi about impressing on your clients that you have a waiting list, I'm going to do this even though I havent got a waiting list yet!! Whatever it takes to increase the chances of them turning up, thats what I say :green:

Hi Carl,

Do you take a deposit when you make a booking or do they just pay when they next come in?

How much do you 'fine' them? A percentage of the service or the whole amount?

I've heard that alot of people do this and have had good results but would like to find out about it abit more, and get the guts to do it. I am too soft lol.

All walkins are charged 50% deposit upfront, all new phone bookings in the area are asked to drop in a deposit.

Any of my existing clients are told time and time again that I require 3 hours notice, I fine them 50% of their appointment fee first offense, 100% after that, or they can go somewhere else. I sack clients all the time, very often they come crawling back, but sometimes they don't. I really don't care, if they are willing to be unreliable and cost me money, they should be going elsewhere.

You can't get it perfect all the time.

So my advice ... call new ones that you don't know to confirm
...................... call the ones who you have doubts about
...................... impress to all clients that you have a waiting list!

That's pretty much what I do.
There is absolutely no way that I can remind everyone. My schedule is too hectic and demanding, and as it is... my phone rings off the hook.
In any case, I work nights, so I can't make calls while with a client. And most are schedules for nights and work during the day.

I push the 'waiting list'...
I have also pushed them about booking multiple appointments in advance to be sure they get the time slot that they prefer. My December is looking pretty busy already.. I can imagine how insane it's going to be.

Most are pretty good. It's only the 'newbies' that take a time or two to understand that if they cancel or fail to show, it's more their loss rather than mine as they won't be able to squeeze in at last moment due to demands on my time. In most cases, they'll have to wait at least a week to get a spot. For standard/loyal regulars, I squeeze them in during off hours if I must because they usually appreciate my time and it's rare that they cancel. The newbies have to 'learn'.
So those are the ones that I am more inclined to call, if I must.

PS: I have recently "sacked" (as nailzoo says") two clients for repeat offenses. I told them that I can't book them anymore. IF they want, they can call the same day and see if I'm available... but odds are that I'm not in most cases. One came crawling back and hasn't cancelled/no-show'd again.

I don't normally text any clients the day before their appointment, but I have the odd once that I do it to. I know they are very busy, but I also know there will be no problem with charging them, so why not do them the favor? Also because I will have problems with giving them another app.

I always charge 100% if they don't show up. (Of course it depends on... A client called from hospital and told her father had just died... She said she wanted to pay me next time, but I refused. She's a loyal client and I know it was for real, so I didn't charge her...)

There are some that forget and also those who just HAVE to work over. They all know they have to pay, so they never argue.

I very seldom have new clients as I am fully booked, but IF I take new clients I always tell them they have to call me 24 hours before the app. to cancel it, if not they, unfortunately, have to pay. Everybody say they agree and that they understand.

The first time I charged for a forgotten appointment was NOT very nice, but you get used to it. I tell it with a "nice" voice and they always say: "Of course it will be more expensive this time, it's my own fault!"

C.

I or they can go up the road to get crappy nails done by Sweaty Betty or Wha Colahyouwan at the Lumpy Bumpy Nail Company.

I just re-read this out loud and near peed my pants :lol::lol::lol:

Hi ya guys, I am a mobile nail tech that have just started out, and for my new clients (until I get to know them) I call on the day to confirm our appointment time. I am mobile and attend evening appointments, so the last thing I want to do is drive all the way to their house to fine that they have forgotten. I stop calling them after about the 2nd infill cos that seems to be show to me that they are starting to become loyal. My regular clients are now looking forward in my visits.

Latest posts

Back