Confused about different enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siana

Reaction score
Sorry to sound ignorant but could any of you kind geeks please explain enhancements for me. I know there are different methods but I just don't understand acrylic, gel, fiberglass, silk Land P (are there others?). It all sounds so complicated. Would someone be so kind as to spell it all out for me what each one is, what it does, what sort of skill level is involved and can you train in just one method or do you do more than one type. Is there one method thought to be better than another or is it personal preference?

Basically I offer manicure and pedicure for natural nails but I think it might be wise for me to think about offering at least one form of enhancement. I have a few nail biters/pickers and as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be much in the way of enhancements offered in my town.

All advice most welcome.

Thanks

Siana

ITEC qualified Manicure, pedicure and waxing

Hi, this is jmho but I trained first in gel, and found that I was turning down customers who wanted l&p, for which I find there is more demand locally. I had a fair few gel customers but decided to train in l&p and it's nice to have two systems to offer. (Well I did train in fibreglass/silks and the acrylic dip system but don't offer these due to personal choice, not saying they're not good cos I know a lot of techs use them, but they just weren't for me)

I love gel and l&p, it's horses for courses and I find one will sometimes suit a client better than the other, I'm not knocking gel, it's great.

I would definitely advice training in more than one ultimately, to offer choice. You are lucky there seems to be a lack of techs where you are . . . whereabouts in Dorset are you? I take it you're not near Bournemouth or Poole cos there's a few hundred thousand there :lol:

Thanks Izzidoll - just read the systems comparison. Things are a little clearer now. From reading that and coming from a place of complete ignorance I would say L and P looks about right but I think I will have look into it all a bit more.

Blossom - I am 30 miles away from Poole and B'mouth in a small town. There might be others offering these services but because I have never had them or know anyone who has I am probably not aware of them. I do have quite a few service menus of other local salons and there is only one or two that mention enhancements in them but they are not exactly in town. I will investigate further.

Would you agree the L and P would be a good place to start? What is the training like for this? and does it take a long time to perfect?

Thanks both for replying.

Siana

(1)Would you agree the L and P would be a good place to start?
(2)What is the training like for this? and
(3)does it take a long time to perfect?

(1) Yes ... it is the service most asked for.
(2) Search training on the site and you will find lots to read.
(3) Yes ... it is a highly skilled art and to be competitive it will take allot of practice.

BUT watch this space for the new method of applicaion because it is PERFECT for someone like you who wants to get started and to get started quickly.

Your :evil: Geeg, your always teasing us lol :hug:

Your :evil: Geeg, your always teasing us lol :hug:

bloomin eck, come on spill the beans woman rofl im on pins again now waiting to find out heheh xxxx:lol::lol::lol:

hey hun, definitly look on the search facility about training, but do so when you have a few hours to spare and cuppa and settle donw for lots of information , but it really is great place to start, make sure you choose a well recognised course and company and ensure that your insurance company recognises them , as i got burned because i didnt research first,

i think as Geeg said, L&P would be best at first, but nothing to stop you learning gels, fiberglass etc later on onc your competant in one system

welcome to the site btw xxxx

Thanks Geeg - that sounds interesting. How long are we going to have to wait for info on this new method (not that I know what the current one is!):lol:

Thanks also Nicky - will start my searching tomorrow.

Goodnight Geeks and thanks for all the help.

Siana :zzz:

Only a couple of weeks Geeks.

tick tock tick tock.....:lol:

I was so excited - I thought I found a creative nail training academy less than 20 miles from me but when I phoned they said they were not up and running at the mo because of problems at head office and that they were going private.

I have done a bit of searching and it seems in the initial stages of my investigations that I can't really go wrong with creative training. I see you can do a 4 day foundation course - I presume this is what I'll be needing? But I think I'll wait a while to see what this other method and training is that Geeg mentions.

I'm a bit disappointed now because I always have to travel for miles to do any courses and for once I thought there would be something that isn't going to involve major travel.

I'll carry on with the search then....

Siana:irked:

I was so excited - I thought I found a creative nail training academy less than 20 miles from me but when I phoned they said they were not up and running at the mo because of problems at head office and that they were going private.

I have done a bit of searching and it seems in the initial stages of my investigations that I can't really go wrong with creative training. I see you can do a 4 day foundation course - I presume this is what I'll be needing? But I think I'll wait a while to see what this other method and training is that Geeg mentions.

I'm a bit disappointed now because I always have to travel for miles to do any courses and for once I thought there would be something that isn't going to involve major travel.

I'll carry on with the search then....

Siana:irked:

If you have never done nails before, you would still have to do a Foundation Class which is 5 days not 4 (if done by a genuine Creative Nail Academy) in order to learn the new method, but you would be able to get started more quickly in the business of doing nails after completion. Why not pm Mrs geek and find out where your nearest academy actually is. You'd be darned lucky to find one on your door step, but it is always best to travel to find the best available training as I'm sure you know. :hug:

Latest posts

Back