Confused about nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, Im a new member, and so pleased that I have found this site!! Im a beginner and sooo need some help. I completed a 15hr acylics course in March, and since then have been practicing with just pink acrylic ( the plan was to try and master the pink, before I attempted the dreaded pink and white) but because the nails looked so plain, I attempted to do very basic nail art with polish, striper brush and dotting tool, but after seeing so many amazing designs on this site, ( coloured acylic, glitter fade etc) I would love to learn how they are done and what products to use. Do technicians mix coloured glitter with clear acylic? If so what ratio? or do you buy it already mixed? Does it apply the same? What brands are used, or best? Would I need a seperate acrylic brush? Where can I purchase glitter products etc. So sorry for so many questions, but so much I want to learn. Any advice would be very very much appreciated!! Many Thanks! Sarah.:rolleyes:

Wow 15 hrs isn't very much. IMHO you shouldn't try to run before you can walk. Your first priority should be to perfect your application & master rebalances. IMO the most important thing is to be able to stucture you enhancment properly.

There are lots of different products that can be used for glitter L&P. Ez Flow is one brand that has a fabulous range of glitter powders. Personally I use superfine craft glitter mixed in with my polymer. The ratio depends on how dense you want the glitter. I generally go about 1 glitter to 5 polymer.

You definately need a seperate brush for glitter.

A huge thanks for the reply! I know your right, Im getting ahead of myself. The course I did was pretty basic, 15 hrs in a private salon, so I know that I still have sooo much to learn. Im finding pink & whites the hardest. I know people learn at different rates, but is there an average time it takes to master acrylics & produce high quality nails. Years?? Or do I need to reach my 1000.00th full set? Many Thanks, Sarah.

I think about 2 years , but of course that depends on how much practice you get. I think you should really look into some more training though. I don't see how you could possibly learn even the basics in 15 hours.

Boy, it's hard to say the avg. time it takes to master L&P. Not only because people learn at a different rate but it also depends on how many set of nails you do. For example you could work in a salon for 10 years and only 1 set per year :mad: Or could be working for a year and do 10 sets per day :lol: I'm a slow learner so it took me awhile to master L&P...about 2 years (which includes glitter fade, P&W, rebalances, etc.). Lucky for me the shop I'm working at is pretty busy! Hth's hun!:hug:

i just wanted to ask you, have you got a recognised certificate to enable you to get insurance hun? only reason i ask is, that last year i did a 4 week course ( 16 hrs spread over 4 hours every sunday) in a private salon, only to realise i didnt know the first thing about diseases, disorders, or even general hygiene pracises, luckily i figured this out and booked myself on a VTCT course, but i also foudn otu that the course i had taken isnt recognised by any of the beauty insuarance companies, so i couldnt woek on the public even if i had felt qualified too (which i didnt) so im now starting from scratch

i use nailgrpahix glitter because it comes in little pots that you mix to the (instructions given) right ratio of acrylic powder, and they are brilliant to use

hths

Hi Nicky & Everyone, Big Thanks for the reply. I completed a 15hr course in a private salon in March, was told to practice for approx 12 months, and then return to do my exam. At the time I was so exited, feeling I was on my way to oneday becoming a mobile technician. I didnt think of asking if the certificate would be recognized in the world of nail technicians., let alone insurance! We used creative products, and the tutor was trained by creative, and has been working as a technician for 10 years, and I remember she said she had to complete courses herself to be able to train others. But at the time didnt ask what sort of certificate I would receive should I pass. Im not sure what to do now, I love doing nails, but the course was pretty basic, & after finding this site, I realize that I have so much to learn. I feel competant preparing the nail, applying & blending tips, but need a lot of practice with my pink & whites, not forgeting the dreaded rebalancing!! Do you think that plenty of practice alone would be enough to get to the standard I need to be, or do you think I will need to find another course. I dont know much about the courses available for nail techs but others on this site talk about specific creative courses?? Any advice very welcome!! Sarah x

You should definately get yourself on another course. It doesn't matter how much you practice if you haven't been taught properly in the first place.

Did you lean about nail disorders, anatomy, sanitation methods, product chemistry?
It definately took me alot longer then 15 hrs.

Hi Bernadette, Yes, all these things were discussed, and we were given info sheets to take home and revise, but it was all so very quick. Most things were covered, but I dont think in enough detail as is needed, its like I now need "fine tuning" so I can recognise the mistakes that I am making - so many Im sure!! x x x

Do you think that plenty of practice alone would be enough to get to the standard I need to be, or do you think I will need to find another course.

others on this site talk about specific creative courses?? Any advice very welcome!! Sarah x

Practice is only any good if you are sure of what you are practising....... Otherwise you are just reinforcing incorrect techniques......

There are specific CND courses, and Sweet Squared is your first port of call on 0845 210 60 60. Be prepared to start from scratch though - I suspect Creative wont recognise your training and you will have to start with a Foundation Course..... It's so worth it though!

hth's

OMG how much did u pay for this "course"? where was it? u should complain that's terrible behaviour I don't know how they could expect u to learn anything in such a short space of time, i think everyone is always learning new tips and tricks don't be disheartened honey x x x :hug::green::cry::zzz:

Latest posts

Back