confused over MMA and EMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
ok so I have been reading up on some science and product knowledge and am a bit confused about EMA and MMA

I had thought that as far as a liquid and powder systems was concerened, anything with MMA in it was not good, however reading in my complete nail technician book it says that MMA in liquid monomer is too agressive for skin, however an EMA monomer needs the strength of a good polymer powder to support it and the best would be a mix of both EMA and MMA (powder not liquid)

Am I reading this correctly? Am I to understand that it is only in liquid monomer form that MMA is not so good?

Thanks

Lovely to see you reading my book and, as already posted, you're correct!

I'll explain a little more: monomer MMA (liquid) creates a very hard polymer acrylic and is very agressive on the skin. The only way to get good bonding with the nail is heavy etching to create a physical bond (the acrylic holding to the scratches)

EMA monomer creates a much more flexible polymer acrylic and is not as agressive on the skin (although many people become sensitive to it if it is not kept away from the skin). Bonding to the nail does not need ethching.

Powder on the other hand (no un intended!) is already a polymer so is not agressive to the skin. The fact that there is MMA there is not a problem. If the powder was just an EMA polymer the resulting overlay would not be strong enough. The powder is usually a copolymer (a blend) of both MMA and EMA to get the best of both.

An EMA liquid and a copolymer of EMA and MMA creates an overlay that is both flexible and tough and is as gentle on the nail and skin as such a product can be.

Does that explain it a bit more?

Lovely to see you reading my book and, as already posted, you're correct!

I'll explain a little more: monomer MMA (liquid) creates a very hard polymer acrylic and is very agressive on the skin. The only way to get good bonding with the nail is heavy etching to create a physical bond (the acrylic holding to the scratches)

EMA monomer creates a much more flexible polymer acrylic and is not as agressive on the skin (although many people become sensitive to it if it is not kept away from the skin). Bonding to the nail does not need ethching.

Powder on the other hand (no un intended!) is already a polymer so is not agressive to the skin. The fact that there is MMA there is not a problem. If the powder was just an EMA polymer the resulting overlay would not be strong enough. The powder is usually a copolymer (a blend) of both MMA and EMA to get the best of both.

An EMA liquid and a copolymer of EMA and MMA creates an overlay that is both flexible and tough and is as gentle on the nail and skin as such a product can be.

Does that explain it a bit more?

OMG - I had no idea you were her! How thick am I ??

Yes that does explain it a little better, I was just taken aback when I read that MMA was in the powder as I thought all MMA was bad! I am working my way through the book a bit more carefully now so expect loads of questions!

Thanks!

As a side note, you will usually see these expressed as PMMA and/or PEMA on the MSDS. This stands for polymethylmethacrylate and/or polyethylmethacrylate. The poly meaning that it is already polymerised :)

HTHs!

This stands for polymethylmethacrylate and/or polyethylmethacrylate. The poly meaning that it is already polymerised :)

HTHs!
Try saying that after a few vodka's :green:
I dont even think I can actually say it sober hahaha

All of this information is abserloutly fantastic thankyou,
Lovely juicey fact filled information LOVE IT !!!

can I ask while I'm here ,
Was MMA used first, then EMA created ?
who came up with all this ?
actually has anybody got any information on the history of MMA and EMA please ?
I have my education head on today I think xxx

mma monomer was used years ago(the 70's) by technicians they used to buy these products from dentist suppliers, its the medical and dental industry that used mma, nail technicians found that clients where highly allergic to mma monomer.
I think dentists use mma based monomer with pmma based polymer to make denture bases also used to make bone cements ....so you can see why nail technicians did this in the 70's to create a nail enhancements.

Try saying that after a few vodka's :green:
I dont even think I can actually say it sober hahaha

All of this information is abserloutly fantastic thankyou,
Lovely juicey fact filled information LOVE IT !!!

can I ask while I'm here ,
Was MMA used first, then EMA created ?
who came up with all this ?
actually has anybody got any information on the history of MMA and EMA please ?
I have my education head on today I think xxx

Hi,

I have been on your website you have a MMA notice on there and i was wondering if I could use this for my clients and my own web site?:o

Won't be affended if you say no

thanks

mma monomer was used years ago(the 70's) by technicians they used to buy these products from dentist suppliers, its the medical and dental industry that used mma, nail technicians found that clients where highly allergic to mma monomer.
I think dentists use mma based monomer with pmma based polymer to make denture bases also used to make bone cements ....so you can see why nail technicians did this in the 70's to create a nail enhancements.

i remember when i was training my tutor told me this

i was absolutely stunned, the thought of putting something on your nails that is intended for the mouth. oh it makes me cringe

Latest posts

Back