Confused with 3D nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klara

Reaction score
I am a little confused with L&P nail art and I wanted to ask you if you can help me.

I understand that L&P and gel need a rough surface to adhere. So when you do the L&P 3D art over a gel or L&P surface, this surface needs to be buffed for the art to adhere.

But when you apply clear gel/L&P or UV top gloss to seal the art don't you need a rough surface for them to adhere? What I mean is you can't buff the 3D nail art so do you put any clear gel/L&P on top of that without buffing, how does this stay on without causing any lifting? :confused:

I also read in some other threads that you can put a L&P art on top of polish without problems. How can the L&P adhere on polish? :confused:

I hope I make sense with these questions, sorry if they sound stupid :o

You can adhere 3D nail art to any surface within reason. Yes you can put 3D stuff onto polished nails, you just need to pre do the art and then when it's set, use an adhesive to stick it to the polished nail.

If you do 3D stuff on gel, you can do this the same way if you want to do it onto the glossy gel as above. Or, buff the shine off of the gel, apply the L&P onto the gel, then gloss over the top. But i have to say, it can look bulky when you do this as the gel gloss really will pool over the 3D design.

Or if you apply the 3D onto an L&P nail, build the nail as usual, buff smooth and finish as you would normally, then with your brush slightly damp with monomer, wipe the surface of the nail, this will make the surface slightly tacky on the nail to take the 3D design. Then use a gloss top coat to finish after design is done. Hth's.

I am a little confused with L&P nail art and I wanted to ask you if you can help me.

I understand that L&P and gel need a rough surface to adhere.

l&p and gel don't need a rough surface to adhere just the shine removed

So when you do the L&P 3D art over a gel or L&P surface, this surface needs to be buffed for the art to adhere.

But when you apply clear gel/L&P or UV top gloss to seal the art don't you need a rough surface for them to adhere? What I mean is you can't buff the 3D nail art so do you put any clear gel/L&P on top of that without buffing, how does this stay on without causing any lifting? :confused:

I also read in some other threads that you can put a L&P art on top of polish without problems. How can the L&P adhere on polish? :confused:

I hope I make sense with these questions, sorry if they sound stupid :o

There are all sorts of different l&p arts
3d which stands up on the nail, usually used in competitions (like this http://www.salongeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/53786-3d-figure.html )
Then there is embossed which is like this http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7286&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=25
Then there is encased like this http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/37318-encased-floral-3d.html
as you can see I tried all the different methods, I have also embossed on polish, I didn't buff the polish and it lasted for two weeks no probs http://www.salongeek.com/attachment...nge-poll-2-geek-challenge-pink-nails-ring.jpg

I usually buff to a shine then apply the art. hope this helps, but each person is different. Doing it this way has worked for me, but may not work for others.

Thank you both for your quick replies :hug:

Grafxgal your work is amazing !!!!

If you don't mind I would like to ask you about the embossed art you've made.

After you make the 3d flowers do you put anything on top to protect or do you leave it as it is?

Not that I could make anything gorgeous like this but I just start practicing..

i never have any problems getting l/p 3d to stick to gel top coat.
i always do it like this because i love the contrast of the frosted appearance of the 3d against the shiny background. i rarely gloss the art too but a gel topcoat works well on it.

actually acrylic l/p is very forgiving when it comes to sticking even to quite smooth surfaces, its more gel that needs a matte base to cling to.

if in any doubt do as talented talons has said and form the art offthe nail then stick on with adhesive.

Thank you both for your quick replies :hug:

Grafxgal your work is amazing !!!!

If you don't mind I would like to ask you about the embossed art you've made.

After you make the 3d flowers do you put anything on top to protect or do you leave it as it is?

Not that I could make anything gorgeous like this but I just start practicing..

Thank you:hug:
When embossing I don't put a top coat over as, like Angel fingers, I prefer the frosted look on a shiny nail.
Keep practicing, that's what I do, you'll get there.

on 3d you really dont want to use a top coat or gel because it fills in the detail. if you would like it shiny use a resin lightly prefferably a brush on so you can put it on thin it wont fill in the detail

Latest posts

Back