Confused with gel enhancement clients and getting ready to throw in the towel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
o.k i haven't been doing gel nails very long at all... but since my nails had started to last beetween two and 5weeks on the handful of clients i had i took the plunge and started renting a chair at a local salon put a special offer ad out at £20 per set and £15 for infills.... half my clients are lasting so well that they push there infills too 5weeks (one was 2days from being week6!!) which i find annoying because there is so much work to do to correct apex and the lifting that has occurred... but saying that aome come regular 2-3weeks with little lifting. then the other half of my clients grrrrr mostly the new ones i've gaineg through window advertising and facebook are breaking their nails within week one?? mostly they take them off at home and then complain so i'm wondering if they are having me on???? i've been testing my own nails strength because of these issues and even with opening ring pulls on bean tins and using cleaners with no gloves all sorts you should really avoid but still all in tact with no cracks??? whats going on? someone help me pleassseeeee

by the way i am very thorough with prep work (watched holly the fingernailfixer this taught me well lol) and use everything in the nsi system on all clients never miss steps out.
sorry for the long post ranting but i'm so confused!!!

thanks for any help in advance xx

wow im impressed, 5 weeks is a long time, u should start charging for different prices for the ppl who come after 2weeks,3weeks,4weeks as if there is more work will take u longer and time is money!!! also you can usually tell if a client has broken them or removed them by the state of their nails....dont fall for it!

what products are you using by the way?xx

thanks, i'd like to feel pleased but with the other half of clients apparently cracking or coming off its hard to know wether these clients that are lasting just do nothing and are lazy or maybe more carefull than most an this is the only reason they are lasting or is it the other half are picking, biting and just misstreating there's?

I hadnt thought of different prices regarding infills great idea and definately something to think about

i use nsi balance gels x
thanks for replying :)

I wouldn't get too down about it. The fact that half of your clients are getting upto 4/5 weeks out their enhancements means you must be doing something right. Now that you have rented a chair and opened your service up to more clients means that you'll get all sorts coming through the door. You'll soon find that some clients will tell you what they think you want to hear - "yes I wear gloves cleaning, no I don't pick, I always use my solar oil morning and night, i never use my nails as tools" etc.... When in fact they do the complete opposite. This is normal, and I'm sure we all experience it. Make sure you elaborate on the importance of the clients aftercare, and always give the client an aftercare sheet away with them. I always say to new clients that I'll give them the diving board to dive in (the lovely professional looking nails) but they have to kick hard to stay afloat (make sure they keep up the aftercare) if not they will drown (nails can chip, break and crack)

Keep going as I'm sure your doing a great job. Xx

When I first qualified and was only doing nails part time I used to excited about clients coming in for 'refills' having gone 5+ weeks. The novelty soon wore off when I became full time and self employed. I realised this was not making me money. Refills are now 2-3 weeks. After that the price goes up. xx

When I first qualified and was only doing nails part time I used to excited about clients coming in for 'refills' having gone 5+ weeks. The novelty soon wore off when I became full time and self employed. I realised this was not making me money. Refills are now 2-3 weeks. After that the price goes up. xx
Of course!

It's like getting your hair coloured ... You pay less for roots than for a full head of colour! It's logical.

Ond day over the three week mark and the price goes up at my desk! After 4 weeks it is full set price again.. Even if they have only maintenance.

Going 4 weeks plus is not looking after your nails .. It is being a cheapskate and it is risking a nail infection. There are no greenies on my watch!! :lol:

It is being a cheapskate and it is risking a nail infection. There are no greenies on my watch!! :lol:

lmao xx:lol:

thanks guys... think you've all cheered me up a little :) and i'm going to do infills for 2-3weeks then put my prices up as suggested!! and ew who wants a nail still on half grown out with an outa place white tip!!! you are right geeg its being a cheapskate which like you i'm not going to tollerate...

wish i had gone for higher prices to begin with and maybe i'd have attracted a better bunch of clients

while i have some of your attention... its taking me about 1.5 hrs to do both full sets and infills is this about right?

it quite often takes just as long to do infills as it does to do a new set so dont worry there.

and all clients will last differently with nail enhancements the world over, some are harder wearing on our nails, some don't look after them, do not forget you are not a miracle worker who can make nails last on everyone!!!

am still impressed your getting 5 weeks out of some, i used nsi and couldn't get on with it!xx

thanks guys... think you've all cheered me up a little :) and i'm going to do infills for 2-3weeks then put my prices up as suggested!! and ew who wants a nail still on half grown out with an outa place white tip!!! you are right geeg its being a cheapskate which like you i'm not going to tollerate...

wish i had gone for higher prices to begin with and maybe i'd have attracted a better bunch of clients

while i have some of your attention... its taking me about 1.5 hrs to do both full sets and infills is this about right?

Im not surprised! Your infills will take a much more reasonable amount of time when you are not having to prepare nails that are 4-5 weeks old!!
A problem-free rebalance done on nails after 2-3 weeks should not take more than an hour and allot less filing, buffing and elbow grease! :D

Latest posts

Back