confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essexgirl

Reaction score
can anyone help? i have recently achieved my essential nails cert in acrylic tips and overlay. although i found course good it was difficult to know if i was doing things correctly! i now hear about creative nail products and courses all the time and am wondering if it would benefit me to do one of their courses for confidence and better skills/knowledge (i do not feel very confident) there are so many courses ect about that i have got very confused, (not difficult for me to get)! any advice/comments would be appreciated.

I would get yourself a copy of "Encyclopedia of Nails" or "The Complete Nail Technician" to give you excellent reference to everything you need to know to do with nails.

Go to your local library and get the books first to see what one you prefer, then you can buy the one you like best to have a constant reference book. I have the first one and its like my bible. Try any to do with nails, Doug Schoon does a brilliant book which covers all the chemistry side of nails so that's also good, especially when itcomes to doing your NVQ, if you want to do that.

I would consider doing more training, even if you were happy with what you learnt you can never know enough, or know everything, so keep learning all the way. I'm sure this site will help you tremendously, it has me.

essexgirl said:
can anyone help? i have recently achieved my essential nails cert in acrylic tips and overlay. although i found course good it was difficult to know if i was doing things correctly! i now hear about creative nail products and courses all the time and am wondering if it would benefit me to do one of their courses for confidence and better skills/knowledge (i do not feel very confident) there are so many courses ect about that i have got very confused, (not difficult for me to get)! any advice/comments would be appreciated.
Hi Ya, i know how exactly how you feel. I too felt the same when i completed my gel system training and lacked confidence to the point where i didnt do it anymore. I wouldnt suggest more training yet, concentrate on what you have just learnt first by all means get books and stuff to help you but you really need to practice and build confidence on the system that youve been taught if you want to do a course for confidence and you think it will help then definately go fot it. Its taken me over a year and im not still 100% confident. I know you want to progress and take other courses lol i took another gel system in March 04 so have now done 2 courses in the gel system but practice and learning from other nail technicians on here is what will also help you. Your an essex girl (sorry havent checked your profile yet) but if you can then attend one of our Essex meetings and get to interact and see what other people do i can assure you now it will really help you. x x x

I think Kelly has a valid point and so does Wendy: reference book is a must and i constantly refer to it but to do other training now could be confusing. I think we all feel scared when we first start out but Kelly is right - practice, practice, practice!!!

thanks kelly, where and when are the essex meetings, and will it matter that my knowledge is so limited, (but i do make a lovely cuppa)!! i am so keen to learn learn learn!!

thanks for your reply's all. i shall definately get one of the books recommended and perhaps drag a few guniea pigs in off the streets to have a practice on. It's a scary world when you first start isnt it!!?

Hi Ya, knowledge and skill does not matter however, chatting, drinking and learning does at our meetings so dont worry! where abouts do you live in essex?

Kellyc said:
Hi Ya, knowledge and skill does not matter however, chatting, drinking and learning does at our meetings so dont worry! where abouts do you live in essex?
i live in corringham, essex. funnily enough, chatting drinking and learning are at the top of the rules that i live by! (not sure what order though)

Great, well the next meeting is being held in Southend on the 7th August. They are held at diferrent places but we try and do it monthly its great fun and you will learn lots - do you know Southend (ive always thought everyone knows Southend lol!!!) x

From the ignorant twit who lives in Barnet, Herts but attends the Essex meetings - where is Corringham? Is it far from Rayleigh where Wendy is or Basildon where Debs is??

I know southend fairly well, although mainly the pubs! I am sure i will be able to find my way with directions. It would just be nice to meet people mad about nails as none of my friends ect are! thanks for all your help!

Carole Lindsay said:
From the ignorant twit who lives in Barnet, Herts but attends the Essex meetings - where is Corringham? Is it far from Rayleigh where Wendy is or Basildon where Debs is??
Hi carole, corringham, (god bless it)! is about 10 mins away from rayleigh, down the a13 back towrds london. more importantly, (some would say) it is about 5 mins away from lakeside shopping centre!
basildon is just a stones throw away, (if your Fatimah Whitbread), ooops im showing my age!

essexgirl said:
I know southend fairly well, although mainly the pubs! I am sure i will be able to find my way with directions. It would just be nice to meet people mad about nails as none of my friends ect are! thanks for all your help!
Hi Ya pm Debs and she will give the address etc for our next meeting would be great to see you there x

Hi i feel the same way as you Essexgirl. Done my training but stilll not confident! maybe I could tag along to the meeting too? only in Basildon so maybe we could go together! lol.:) Sherrie

The more the merrier girls!

hi sherrie, it would be good to go together as we can both be the new and confused girls!! i will try to get the details of time place ect and let you know. kerry

essexgirl said:
hi sherrie, it would be good to go together as we can both be the new and confused girls!! i will try to get the details of time place ect and let you know. kerry
Definitely send Debs a PM coz she'll be the one who will know the addy. Normally we kick off around 7.30pm but it may be different this time as Debs and Jo (who is hosting it) work in a salon on a Saturday and have to get home and put their gladrags on!! You'll love it though and we're a friendly bunch, i promise!! As it happens i wont be there this time as i've a prior engagement but i'll look forward to meeting you both at another meeting. By the way, the next one's at mine which is not far from junction 24 of the motorway - a little further but i'll make ya welcome!! :)

Great! let me know and we'll sort it out then. Sherrie x

Latest posts

Back