Confusion, do I need a level 3 massage diploma & is a certificate accepted?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weanmaz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a older lady who has slowly switched careers. Having been a nurse for a large no of years i started to get interested in holistics. My first course was taken three years ago whilst living overseas and was a vtct level 3 reflexology . Since returning to the uk i ve now studied aromatherapy level 3. Reiki, indian head, facials, facial reflex, baby reflex, pregnancy reflexology, seated accupressure massage , and an instructors meditation course. Any advice as to best route to take .
However i wish to work in a spa but am i too old?? and if not i am struggling to find clear info on whether its necessary now to gain a level 3 diploma in massage or whether i can just do a certificate in massage. I ve already got an aromatherapy level 3 massage and was hoping to just add the swedish massage as an add on short course if j can find . Would i need to get a vtct or itec . Which do you advise?

Hi! I can't see you age being an issue but I think that it would be a reasonable concern to wonder if you have the physicality to do 7 massages a day. You would need to think about how you can assure a future employer that you are not going to be off sick al the time.

Swedish massage is the foundation for all the short courses, it isn't usually taught as a short course. Spa Therapy courses in college include several level three qualifications in a number of different massage techniques including Swedish, aromatherapy, and usually something like Indian head massage and hot stones.

Rather than taking a level 3 Swedish massage course I suggest that you do another course which includes Swedish techniques and deep tissue work to avoid spending time and money adding very little knowledge and technique value to your portfolio of skills. You might enjoy a holistic level 4 massage course and this would be a better fit for your other qualifications.

I was in a slightly similar situation to you in that I wasn't qualified in Swedish massage, but I was massage trained.. I looked at a number of courses and eventually settled on Jing (in Brighton) bodywork beginnings. This course took my skills to a different level. I learned how to give a really deep massage without over taxing my body and by the end of the course I was able to do 3 hours of massage without a break quite easily without any RSI concerns, (I was over 50 when I trained and not the oldest).

If I was applying to a Spa and I was asked if I felt confident that my back and wrists could cope - I'd be able to say that I'd been trained to do what I loved, and love what I do, all day every day.

Latest posts

Back