Conquering gel allergies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it that you are allergic to?
I’m severely allergic to hema and have had to change all my acrylic & gel systems and now I’m fine.

It’s not good to have an allergy and keep exposing yourself to what you are allergic to, it will get worse.
This is exactly what I did, to the point my face swelled up and I couldn’t breathe properly. You definitely have to look after yourself xx

There's no conquering gel allergies, baby!

Interesting Alison I oil paint using the blues and that’s days on end of minute detail, might try black next!

I’m severely allergic to hema and have had to change all my acrylic & gel systems and now I’m fine.

It’s not good to have an allergy and keep exposing yourself to what you are allergic to, it will get worse.
This is exactly what I did, to the point my face swelled up and I couldn’t breathe properly. You definitely have to look after yourself xx
What did you switch to?

What did you switch to?

Unfortunately, the poster you’ve quoted has been absent from the site since the beginning of the year.

Hi what did you switch too?
Thanks

Hi all,
I am so late to the conversation. I need to go to the GP to get an allergy test, as I am not sure what it is I reacted to. under my thumbs, I became really sore and it was dry and cracked. I am not sure if it is overexposure to the product as I was redoing my gel nails on myself throughout lockdown too often!
I found a brand that is hypoallergenic and does not contain any of the ingredients that have been proven to cause an allergy.
it is called IKON IQ NAILS - however, they are EXTREMELY expensive :(
Also... I am a lash technician and I also get mine done... the main ingredient in lash extension adhesive is cyanoacrylate which is a type of acrylic... I asked a close friend of mine to do my lashes recently just to see if I react to it and I haven't...

Hi all,
I am so late to the conversation. I need to go to the GP to get an allergy test, as I am not sure what it is I reacted to. under my thumbs, I became really sore and it was dry and cracked. I am not sure if it is overexposure to the product as I was redoing my gel nails on myself throughout lockdown too often!
I found a brand that is hypoallergenic and does not contain any of the ingredients that have been proven to cause an allergy.
Also... I am a lash technician and I also get mine done... the main ingredient in lash extension adhesive is cyanoacrylate which is a type of acrylic... I asked a close friend of mine to do my lashes recently just to see if I react to it and I haven't...

@BobSweden is the owner of Ikon.iq and a valued member of this site, I'm sure he'll want to talk to you about your issues. He's very active in helping identify and prevent allergy issues with our industry. He'll be able to give you some advice and steer in the right direction to find the cause.

Further to that I'd be getting in to see a doctor and getting the referral ball rolling ASAP. We're set to open from 12th April, your issues are only going to get worse once the appointments start ramping up. You need to investigate a glove option pretty quickly too. This is the minimum you need to do to protect yourself, continuing to expose yourself is dangerous and painful, you can't work well in pain 😔

Hi Trinity. I have called my doctor and done an online form to them inquiring about an allergy test. I have ordered Aurelia Bob Nitrile gloves 4.5mm thickness on Amazon! Hoping that will help.
mall of this is stressing me out :( thank god I mainly do eyelash extensions and eyebrows.... I just started in gel nails and now look what happened lol. I got happy redoing my own during lockdown trying out different colours.
I wish I could get IKON IQ however they are extremely expensive :( maybe in the future.

Hi Trinity. I have called my doctor and done an online form to them inquiring about an allergy test. I have ordered Aurelia Bob Nitrile gloves 4.5mm thickness on Amazon! Hoping that will help.
mall of this is stressing me out :( thank god I mainly do eyelash extensions and eyebrows.... I just started in gel nails and now look what happened lol. I got happy redoing my own during lockdown trying out different colours.
I wish I could get IKON IQ however they are extremely expensive :( maybe in the future.

Glad you are taking control of your health, if you're sick you can't work, that's far more expensive than any product.

Ikon.iq have a higher price point but I believe it's around the same as good quality products within the industry, and you use this quality and safety record as a plus when pricing your services to clients. If you're comparing the prices to lower end generic products sold freely on places like eBay/Amazon/etc then yes there will be a huge difference but so is the quality and safety 👍

It's frightening how many chemicles are used in the beauty industry. I am a natural health therapist and my clinic is next door to a nail bar, I really do worry about the girls in there as all that toxic stuff is being inhaled and getting into their blood stream. Please protect yourself as much as you can, it may cost money but health is priceless, invest in PPE, the best ventilation and non toxic products.

Hi all,

Hope all the advice you got and measures you took/will take will help you reverse your condition. It may take some time, too. But if it gets worse do consider how much of the substances you use get into your organism through inhaling. Clean air can be as important as gloves and less toxic chemicals.

Hi Eftyhia,
One thing to consider regarding the price of Ikon.iQ gels is coverage... they are largely all one coat. So for example, if a £5 bottle needs three coats and a £15 bottle only needs one then there's actually no difference in cost.

Price wise for me they are actually more affordable than my previous brand.😄

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that I published a workbook on best working practice for the beauty and massage industry, there is a section in there which covers health and safety for nail techs. I work with so many predominantly young women who suffer with a huge range of RSI and work place injuries that I wrote a guide.

Its called: Ergonomics & Safe Working Practice E-Book
https://www.thentc.co.uk/cpd-courses-education

Has anyone managed to overcome their allergy to gel products, completely? I know the allergy will never go away, but have you found a way to keep doing nails?
I use Amore Ultima (not my favorite brand but it's supposed to be hypoallergenic) and use thick latex gloves and am STILL reacting. Is it possible that the gel is going through my gloves? Will nitrile work better? I use latex because the file doesn't break them open.
Have you had better results with CND? It claims to be 3-Free.
I'm desperate to find something because I'm starting to lose my joy in my job :(

Thanks in advance for your help!View attachment 206698

Hi Alysha,
You poor thing, i'm using the cream in the attachment.
Nitrile gloves contain
Hi all,
Unfortunately you developed allergic reaction to metacrylates. If you developed that it will be mission imposible to do work wearing gloves regardless they are latex, vinyl, nitrile as they contain accelerators which cause severe irritation. And in combination with the condition you have, temperature, type of food, they all create the insidious environment for your skin to absolutely burst with blisters, cracks, bleeding and pain.
I'm using the cream in the attachment at the moment and seems to work bit better.

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back